Irma

Jernigan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lake Eola fountain held up like a champ during the hurricane and even performed the regularly scheduled light show during the monsoon. :P

WP_20170911_09_01_46_Panorama.thumb.jpg.4cae41efa6fa610deaf307b7bd5b1372.jpg

Further downtown on Summerlin Ave in Lake Davis, some of the old oak trees crashed into homes, took out power lines and blocked Summerlin Ave:

WP_20170911_10_40_06_Rich.thumb.jpg.bd1bc9cc013e90f2d067f8a1e3e1b117.jpgWP_20170911_10_40_56_Rich.thumb.jpg.54e0a17435ab9678a31ce1417c82593b.jpg

Another old oak tree lost. What's sad is that people usually can't or won't replace the trees with an equivalent, so we lose more & more of our canopy after each hurricane/storm.

On the bright side, the city has been very prompt about clearing the fallen trees out of the public right of way.

Lake Cherokee.jpg

Equivalent in species/genus - not necessarily equivalent in age... but sure, why not lol.

I've noticed downed oak trees in the area are either 1) being replaced with crape myrtles, magnolias,  tabebuias, etc or 2) not being replaced with a tree at all. This is happening regardless if the homeowner has the option to install a canopy tree. Savvy?

I'm not sure how it works with post-storm situations but the City (WP also, I believe) does actively work to keep up the tree canopy. Orlando has also had an urban forester on staff (I'd have to verify if Andy or someone else is still in the role.) We would have to look in  to how many resources are allocated but it is something that's worked on.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/blog/help-build-a-healthy-urban-forest-2/

This also reminds me: WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE? Downtown Orlando used to be awash in color from all the flowers (especially at Eola Park and Sunshine Park - now Centroplex.) Now lots of green but that's it. I assume they were a victim of budget cuts but I do miss them.

True. Street trees are encouraged by the City of Orlando, but it's still up to the homeowner to follow through. Winter Park appears to do a great job of maintaining their canopy trees, but I personally cannot speak for WP bc I don't have enough recollection to be aware of when a tree goes missing in that neighborhood. I'm not speaking out of my ass on this because  I have a home in the LD area and I've seen some great trees either removed or felled by a storm only to be replaced with a ratty looking "crape myrtle" or nothing at all. Some homeowners  without canopy trees have plenty of room to plant a street tree and yet they have not done so. My experiences may be anecdotal, so it would be interesting to hear from Andy or someone experienced with the big picture.

Several years ago I inquired about removing a canopy tree due to safety concerns and the city pretty much prohibited me from doing it, but later relented with stipulations. If I recall correctly, the reason given for their forceful response is because the canopy trees in the neighborhood were not being replaced.

In some situations the city will prohibit canopy trees where there are overhead utility lines (which is understandable), but that doesn't explain why some homeowners forgo understory trees and choose not to replace the oak tree with anything at all. I asked one neighbor about the reasoning for not replacing an oak tree with anything at all and it all came down to one word: upkeep.

Lost power for a day at my place at Park Lake. Everyone around me still had power so that sucked. Downtown shop only had minor water issues and we're back open. UCF has been closed by the National Guard so we haven't been able to get back over there to see how that shop fared. I think power stayed on there though so no product loss. Just a ton of lost revenue since campus is closed til Mon and we lost 2 football games of revenue plus 9 or so days of regular business. Going to be hard to get through this but we will find a way.

Internet still down. Still using public wifi.

If anyone else is stuck using public wifi, I highly recommend Orlando Health. Free parking in garage (3rd floor & up) cool a/c, nice quiet lobby areas, comfortable chairs, cafeteria, Subway sandwich shop, and probably less likelihood of hackers trying to steal your data than in McDonald's or Wawa. I'm guessing that being a hospital, their wifi is probably secured anyway.

Thankfully they weren't big or old.  

They can put new ones in that are exactly the same as the ones they took down.

Would've sucked if they had been there for a couple of decades. 

On 9/16/2017 at 11:54 AM, metal93 said:

Are you on Spectrum or another service? I didn't get my power back until yesterday morning, internet came on as well, and I'm on Spectrum. Been going to a local Panera earlier this week for wifi.

AT&T.

Got it back soon after posting that on Saturday morning.

Archived