Idea for Spanish Town, Scenic, and Valley Park Overpasses

cajun

I thought this could help bridge the divide across the freeway.   Basically it could create an environment where you can walk across the freeway and barely know it's there.  Homes near the intersection would be shielded from the traffic noise and visual impact.  

5th_street_1.jpg

5th_Street_2.jpg

5th_street_3.jpg

Especially in Spanish Town's case....I think it would help bridge the development and appeal from the west side of I-110 to the east side of I-110.   The pictures are of the 5th avenue plaza in Atlanta.  It could also help bring Narin park over I-10 for Valley Park and help mitigate the impact the freeway already has on that area.   

IMO it should be incorporated into any I-10 improvement project since that will already involve replacing a few of those overpasses to accommodate extra lanes beneath them.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL...Like the ideas Cajun; keep em' coming! ...Had to go back to All2Neat /PAGE #3... started this thread lil' over a year ago " Deck Parks"

Here was my(Copy/Paste) reply:thumbsup:...you replied to it too

All2Neat...are you referring to Klyde Warren Park in Dallas? If so...there are so many workable components making that a success..connecting Uptown with the Arts/Theatre District

Boston's Big Dig comes to mind...where a 1.5 mile linnear-park was created cutting around the Financial District thru the heart of their downtown...there were plenty of obstacles

Phoenix has a cool one along I-10 that has a park with library & museum on top

Mid-town Atlanta has a smaller version pocket-park at Tech Square

That would be pretty cool to have the "Park Deck" in BR  along I-110 flanking east downtown...however i think they are about to invest a lot of $$  on improved /neon? lighting underneath the continual overpass for several blocks?

Actually there is a sunken stretch of  I-110 that briefly runs East/West near Memorial Stadium...but dont think it would work there

Like Antrell...i too like wide tree-line boulevards ...just not taking the place of I-110

16 minutes ago, cajun said:

It doesn't.    Spanish Town, Scenic, and Valley Park cross over "at grade" level freeways.

LOL Forgive me.

This would be a nice addition to each street. Spanish Town on that side looks pretty bad, so it would probably help spur private investment, hopefully high density residential.

With Nairn Dr, it would be a great addition to Perkins Rd if light rail (adequate sidewalks, shade trees, and bike lanes too!) is ever added. 

Spanish Town overpass would be my TOP Candidate...Elysian II is about to start up...there is plenty  room (vacant space) for more residential projects similar in size

8 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

This would be a nice addition to each street. Spanish Town on that side looks pretty bad, so it would probably help spur private investment, hopefully high density residential.

16 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Spanish Town overpass would be my TOP Candidate...Elysian II is about to start up...there is plenty  room (vacant space) for more residential projects similar in size

I think Spanish Town is the best candidate. 

Although with the I-10 widening, Valley Park may end up being the first opportunity.   It has to be rebuild to fit the additional lanes beneath it.  Narin Park would just be a giant recreation area with a little hill where the freeway used to be.   :)

Archived