Thoughts on this article

Nashtitans

Found this article comparing Austin TX to Nashville TN. Both cities are pretty similar.  Even though it's 3 years old, I wanna hear your opinions about it.

http://www.randyelrod.com/austin-nashville-a-side-by-side-comparison/

And to see the other 9 things he talk about go to the bottom and click the link that says the remaining 9

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's just one guy's opinion, so he's allowed to be biased of course, but this article is clearly written from the perspective of someone who considers Austin 'home,' even though he currently lives in Nashville.  I mean, he calls Austin "one of the most delightful cities of the world" for crying out loud.  lol...I think he's on the mark on some things, but really misguided on others.  I mean, the fact that he is giving Austin a 10/10 score on walkability and it's food scene just says to me that he hasn't really gotten out of Austin very often.  Austin is more compact than Nashville, but get outside of downtown and both cities are pretty equally poor in terms of walkability.  And as for the food scene, Austin has great food, no doubt, especially if you're looking for Mexican or BBQ.  Outside of that, though, I wouldn't say it really excels at any other type of cuisine.  

I passed on reading the "Other Nine"... probably because I don't really like the use of "I" in the objective case. LOL... However, I think the graph should have been placed last. It is a distraction and a bit anticlimactic, as it sets the "score" before the explanation.  Just my peeves!  Also, a peeve of mine: using everyday slang mixed with serious points, but the writer kept that to a relative minimum.  

Overall, it's about what I expected from the Austin view, not to say I don't agree with many points about that fine city. I think the writer was fair about the points I read (didn't read the last 9), and I appreciate his insight on the different criteria. It's a fluff piece that speaks to a very defined audience (Texas expats in Nashville). I am not one of them. 

On 11/28/2016 at 6:41 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Well, it's just one guy's opinion, so he's allowed to be biased of course, but this article is clearly written from the perspective of someone who considers Austin 'home,' even though he currently lives in Nashville.  I mean, he calls Austin "one of the most delightful cities of the world" for crying out loud.  lol...I think he's on the mark on some things, but really misguided on others.  I mean, the fact that he is giving Austin a 10/10 score on walkability and it's food scene just says to me that he hasn't really gotten out of Austin very often.  Austin is more compact than Nashville, but get outside of downtown and both cities are pretty equally poor in terms of walkability.  And as for the food scene, Austin has great food, no doubt, especially if you're looking for Mexican or BBQ.  Outside of that, though, I wouldn't say it really excels at any other type of cuisine.  

Yes Austin is walkable if you can afford to live downtown, otherwise not at all. Traffic is horrible, mass transit non existent. Food scene is better. Cost of living seems to be decently higher in my experience, which is driving people further and further away from the city and exacerbating the traffic issue.

Archived