drone aerials and photos of North Carolina's downtown ballparks

cityboi

Looks like we are seeing plenty of development around Durham and Greensboro's ballpark. A downtown ballpark is also in the works for Fayetteville. Raleigh will be the only major city in North Carolina without a downtown ballpark.

Charlotte and Winston-Salem's ballparks both have the same name.

(Durham) Durham Bulls Athletic Park - opened in 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd718AhRQk

(Greensboro) NewBridge Bank Park - opened in 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9dB-7-bfdE

(Winston-Salem) BB&T Ballpark - opened in 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tV7jDi5S8I

(Charlotte) BB&T Ballpark - opened in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW4jgL2P4Xs

Durham Bulls Athletic Park - Durham

DBAP.jpg

durham.jpg

view-of-the-inside.jpg

durhamrobins1.jpg

NewBridge Bank Park - Greensboro

hqdefault.jpg

acc-base.jpg

1217_Concourse.jpg

Greensboro_08004_DxOweb.jpg

penthouse-lounge-view-slider.jpg

greensboro-ballpark-north-carolina.jpg

1619731425.jpg

BB&T Ballpark - Winston-Salem

b1fae983670bcd63333c34a76dec3196.jpg

winstonsalemview.jpg

bbtballpark01.jpg

NC-WinstonSalem-BBT-2.jpg

Winston-Salem_New_10000_DxOweb.jpg

dashbf2014-960x350.jpg

BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte

BBT-Ballpark.jpg

BB-T-BallPark-Charlotte-043.jpg

BBT-Ballpark-Club-Level.jpg

BBT-Ballpark-Entrance-at-Dusk.jpg

Qcsouthernbelle-20140512142644.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On October 1, 2016 at 2:36 AM, cityboi said:

Raleigh will be the only major city in North Carolina without a downtown ballpark.

There is a reason for the lack of a ballpark in Raleigh. Back in the late 1980s Raleigh attempted to get a minor league tearm but was blocked by some type of exclusive territory rights that were granted to the Bulls (I believe it was 30 miles). My memory of the details is fuzzy, but this was why the 'Raleigh' team ended up in Zebulon (The Carolina Mudcats, RIP) rather than a more central location. I suspect that this rule still exists although I have not heard it discussed recently.

I'll also add that Kannapolis is discussing a 'downtown' ballpark for the Intimidators and I generally consider McCormick field in Asheville to be a downtown park, its walkable but I'll admit this definition is borderline.

7 hours ago, kermit said:

There is a reason for the lack of a ballpark in Raleigh. Back in the late 1980s Raleigh attempted to get a minor league tearm but was blocked by some type of exclusive territory rights that were granted to the Bulls (I believe it was 30 miles). My memory of the details is fuzzy, but this was why the 'Raleigh' team ended up in Zebulon (The Carolina Mudcats, RIP) rather than a more central location. I suspect that this rule still exists although I have not heard it discussed recently.

I'll also add that Kannapolis is discussing a 'downtown' ballpark for the Intimidators and I generally consider McCormick field in Asheville to be a downtown park, its walkable but I'll admit this definition is borderline.

There is an active designer RFP out for the Kannapolis stadium, so there is forward movement there.

I really had no idea there was a baseball stadium in Asheville as many times as I've been through there - looking at google streetview I don't feel too bad about it, that stadium has virtually zero presence on the main roads. (I would consider that walkable, though!)

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

There is an active designer RFP out for the Kannapolis stadium, so there is forward movement there.

I really had no idea there was a baseball stadium in Asheville as many times as I've been through there - looking at google streetview I don't feel too bad about it, that stadium has virtually zero presence on the main roads. (I would consider that walkable, though!)

Asheville is a great place to see a ballgame. Its a legit old-school ballpark (built in the 20s) that feels nicely feels tucked away from the city. As a bonus they have a pretty good beer selection (and craft beer was included in Thirsty Thursdays last season). I highly recommend it!  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are the latest renderings for Fayetteville's proposed ballpark. It's very impressive and very different. While it will only seat a little over 4,300 people, the stadium has a big league feel with the 6 story development that is a part  of the stadium. 

https://mgtvwncn.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/fayetteville-baseball-stadium-renderings.pdf

Archived