Population Growth

GRDadof3

24 minutes ago, arcturus said:

Has anyone considered the simple fact that if there's no housing to satisfy the immigration influx they go elsewhere? 

That is quite literally what I am saying haha.  

They’ve been going elsewhere since at least 2018.  I’m not somewhere where I can pull the numbers right now, but I’ll put a chart together that shows the trend.  Sometime around 2018 growth numbers in Kent county dropped by half.  Growth also slowed in Ottawa county.   

I guess where we differ is that I don’t think this trend is organic.  I do think there’s an under current of NIMBYism that’s having an outsized impact on suppressing much needed new housing, and exacerbating the housing crunch. Which in turn is inorganically slowing regional population growth. 

• Like 1

I've always wondered what makes some areas NIMBY and other YIMBY.  Is there any correlations between NIMBYISM and other factors?  Why are northern townships so against development and the southern townships less against (at least how it seems to me).  I wish we would build as many housing units (of all types) as we can but others would cheer no growth.  I'm sure there have been studies on this but I have yet to seen any of them.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:31 PM, GRJohn said:

I've always wondered what makes some areas NIMBY and other YIMBY.  Is there any correlations between NIMBYISM and other factors?  Why are northern townships so against development and the southern townships less against (at least how it seems to me).  I wish we would build as many housing units (of all types) as we can but others would cheer no growth.  I'm sure there have been studies on this but I have yet to seen any of them.

The southern townships have always been more developed.  The urban area naturally grew south of the river early on.   The opening of M6 in 2004 set off a huge growth spurt in the second ring of townships.   With that growth the south side of the metro is more transplant heavy.  Transplants have less history, less emotional connection to the area.  They are therefore less likely to be nostalgic, or care about preserving the character of a place (especially in outer ring townships that have little to no character to begin with).  

Alpine Township, and Walker specifically were more growth friendly 35 years ago.  They were bitten by the rise of poorly planned Alpine Avenue, along with the monstrosity that is York Creek Apartments.  When Land and Co. switched the York Creek business model to a mix of market rate and section 8, Alpine township specifically turned vehemently anti-growth.  The spike in crime resulted in huge bills from Kent Co. Sherriff, and long time residents took a "never again" policy.  I think that has a lot to do with why some of these nice larger scale developments keep getting rejected.    

I do think something needs to be done to contain it a bit.  What's happening in Alpine is really not that dissimilar to the BANANAs mindset that controlled the west side until about 10 years ago.  

• Like 1

Thanks (as always) for this! I wonder if a catalyst for eastern expansion will be the "Covenant Business Park" off the Lowell exit. This includes extending water and sewer across the river. I think you'll start to see a lot of development in this area once the expansion occurs. Lowell is already a nice town with great schools and an abundance of land. And this plot of land seems ideal for rapid expansion once complete:

https://www.rightplace.org/news/state-awards-17-5-million-grant-to-prepare-lowell-townships-covenant-business-park-for-development#:~:text=Today%2C The Right Place%2C Inc,Park in Lowell Township for

This could increase expansion into Ionia County. There is a lot of affordable housing stock in Ionia county, but it's a bit of a drive for commuters. 

Joe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

I think M-6 as a commuter tool makes outlying areas near 8th Ave in the SW region continue to be preferred direction for growth vs longer drives. 

I agree for the most part. However, I would bet the straight shot from Lowell to Detroit will be pretty enticing for a lot of companies for either distribution or manufacturing. I could see a lot of additional job creation once the Lowell site starts to be developed. 

Joe