Atlanta Off-Topic

Spartan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you complained to corporate Designerbee?

I am lucky to have several great grocers around my home but I have been in a few that I felt were third world quality. I will send an email to corporate in a blinking of an eye if I am not satisfied with the quality of food in a store. I don't even entertain the idea of talking to the store manager, I go straight to corporate. Since this is a new store, I would suggest you start immediately. Send specifics because general emails are sometimes uneffective. If you have a camera phone, take it and take pictures.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Have you complained to corporate Designerbee?

I am lucky to have several great grocers around my home but I have been in a few that I felt were third world quality. I will send an email to corporate in a blinking of an eye if I am not satisfied with the quality of food in a store. I don't even entertain the idea of talking to the store manager, I go straight to corporate. Since this is a new store, I would suggest you start immediately. Send specifics because general emails are sometimes uneffective. If you have a camera phone, take it and take pictures.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Thanks I will do that.

That store also has a problem of the shelves not being stocked. It's like that almost every time I go.

Soul stars to belt out Atlanta Anthem

"After much speculation, organizers from the Brand Atlanta Campaign have named the artists who will sing the city's new anthem at the Falcons football game Monday, Oct. 24. The singers will include T-Boz of TLC, Monica, The Blind Boys of Alabama, 112, Jagged Edge and Sammie. The singers will be accompanied by the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, the All Atlanta Chorus"

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

An Atanta Anthem? This should be interesting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

An Atanta Anthem? This should be interesting.

Ah yes, it's part of the "Brand Atlanta" Campaign. Let's just hope the song doesn't turn out to be too cheesy. :P

Still, I think it will be interesting to see what they can come up with.

Attention all Chiquita lovers out there!

Chiquita has become interested in moving its HQ from Cincinnati to Atlanta. Also beingconsidered for te HQ is South Florida. Ofcourse, Cincy has been negotiating to try and keep the company. They say the reason they are considering Atlanta is because many comapny executives often fly through the Atlanta airport on their way to Latin America, where most of the company's jobs are.

We shall know if they will be moving here in about a month.

AJC Article

Of course, you can prbably guess that I am excited about this.

Perhaps they could occupy the 191 Peachree building :P

atlanta13.jpg

Well Ironchapman it appears that Chiquita, if located in Atlanta will not fill space in the beautiful 191 Peachtree tower. Chiquita has decided to look outside the Perimeter.

The search in Atlanta appears to be focused on the north side of the Perimeter, including the Central Perimeter and Cumberland submarkets.

At one point, the company included Atlanta's intown markets in its search but the cost of providing parking for its more than 300 employees caused that to be a brief consideration

I don't understand the parking issue as I'm sure there are some close in buildings with parking for 300 people. Be that as it may, Cincinnati appears to have lost Chiquita for sure. I'm sorry for their loss. It's down now to Atlanta and Miami and both metros are actively recruiting the headquarters. Per the article in ABC, Chiquita is also looking in southwestern Broward county. A location that is similar to the North Fulton submarket.

The two cities also are finalists for the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA), a Western Hemisphere trade consortium that is seeking a secretariat. Now this to me is much bigger than a NASCAR HOF. No offense to anyone into NASCAR. This would be a nice feather in our international recognition cap. This is also discussed in the article. I had forgotten about this but I'm glad that the article did revisit this issue.

Back to Chiquita,

Per the article:

About a half-dozen buildings would be suitable, and available, for Chiquita in Atlanta. Among those are Three Ravinia and the Concourse Corporate Center in Central Perimeter and Cumberland Center II and 200 Milton Park in Cobb.

If I had to stir them to a location, I would suggest Three Ravinia or the Concourse. Lots o' parking and access to public transportation.

To read more, browse here:

Atlanta, Miami both hungry for Chiquita

When it comes to a better place to do business, we have the definite advantage; but when it comes to a better place to live, Miami's on top! This relocation would be an incredible asset to Atlanta; especially since we lost out on the Southtrust and Kmart relocation last year.

Just out of cuiosity, have any of th eposters here who live in the far flung burbs ever considered moving into the city? Everyone seems to be talking about what the city should or shouldn't do, but their seems to be an inordinate number of people who make their home far from the entity they love to talk about.

Airtran is upset with Bud for one of their adds which I think is pretty funny.

"Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy, your minimal experience flying a plane will never land you at a reputable airline. Luckily, you don't work for one."

"Sure, we're concerned for our lives, Just not as concerned as saving nine bucks on a round-trip ticket to Fort Myers"

:lol:

Just out of cuiosity, have any of th eposters here who live in the far flung burbs ever considered moving into the city? Everyone seems to be talking about what the city should or shouldn't do, but their seems to be an inordinate number of people who make their home far from the entity they love to talk about.

As you've no doubt noticed, I live well outside the perimeter. This has been the case for most of my life exvept for the years that I attended the North Avenue Trade School and one year immediately after. I have considered moving into Atlanta proper at serveral points in my life but there have been multiple reasons that have kept me from doing so.

First, all of my employers since graduating have been located OTP. It's not that I haven't tried to find employment ITP, it's just proven elusive to me.

Second, my wife has worked for two different employers at the Airport. Finding a location between my employment and hers was a factor in at least two of our residences. This meant, one that did not require either of us to drive through the heart of downtown traffic to get to work on the other side.

Third, Cost of housing. While I know that it can be cheaper to live in town if you give up a car, Atlanta doesn't lend itselft to that yet. The places we could afford ITP, were pretty transitional. My wife is adventurous in some things, but not when it comes to where to live.

Fourth, Proximity to family. Now that we have a child, it is fantastic to have both sets of grandparents and my sister's family all within a few miles.

All in all, I haven't ruled it out. Living in town when I was at Tech gave me a taste for living in Atlanta. Given the right set of circumstances. I'd do it. I just don't see it in the immediate future.

I'd venture to guess that there are a lot of people in the Metro Area with similar stories. I wish we could find a better way to encourage employers to locate in town. (Tax incentives, rebates, etc.) There is more transportation infrastructure to grow in town (i.e. MARTA) and being more centrally located means you can attract employees from more areas of town. ITP does seem to be gathering momemtum. We'll see what happens.

That's a fair question.

A simple answer...........yes I have considered living intown.

^ Wow! Her great-great-grandfather was Henry Irby himself! It's also fascinating to still see the old families still around - especially her, she evidentally lived her entire life in Atlanta & will be buried here too.
I think *most* all of the old families are very definitely still around, in significant numbers, and that they are deeply embedded in the city's culture and finances. They don't have the politcal control they once had but their influence reaches very far and wide.

Well Ironchapman it appears that Chiquita, if located in Atlanta will not fill space in the beautiful 191 Peachtree tower. Chiquita has decided to look outside the Perimeter.

Man, that sucks. I thought 50 Allen Plaza would have been a great pave for them. They would be so close to the Civic Marta sation for easy access to the airport. Plus having a big name company in there would be good pubplicity for the development. Oh well.

I think *most* all of the old families are very definitely still around, in significant numbers, and that they are deeply embedded in the city's culture and finances. They don't have the politcal control they once had but their influence reaches very far and wide.

Like the Allens?

Like the Allens?
Well, yes, although there are many more far more entrenched and influential old money families in Atlanta (many of whom somehow wound up in a suburban edge city known as Buckhead). Most are pretty private, although their members are well represented in the city's leading medical, legal and business enterprises. Often their activities are focused on foundations and charitable work, but occasionally someone will surface, such as the lady who left Georgia Tech $140 million a few years ago. If you drive around and look at the names of older streets, neighborhoods and landmarks you'll see the echoes of many of Atlanta's leading families from way back when, and most of them have descendants who are very much alive and well.

Okay, since this is the Atlanta off topic discussion I will discuss metro Atlanta's interstates.

Here is my Vents:

1st Vent:

Why oh why are there not more exit ramps from the HOV lanes? It is so frustrating to have to drive over 7 lanes of traffic to get to the HOV lane on 85 South at the GA 400 merge.....you travel through downtown and if you are trying to make it to the airport, you have to start your merging from the HOV lanes right after you pass the I-20 interchange or you will never make the I-85 split. It's awfully dangerous and sometimes

makes the HOV lane useless.

2nd Vent:

Why oh why do single car drivers try to ride the HOV lanes illegally? It's not fair to those of us who actually have multiple people in our vehicles. Friday night I was on the downtown connector around 8:10pm and traffic was still backed up from just south of the GA 400/I-85 interchange. I fought my way over to the HOV lane only to sit in traffic just like the regular lane. Several times I saw single drivers darting into the HOV lanes and driving for a few miles or until the saw a cop. This rendered the HOV lane useless and at the Brookwood Split, I actually got into the fast lane because it was moving more than the HOV lane.

3rd Vent:

Why oh why do people drive slow in the fast lane. Now I'm not a speed demon like I used to be ions ago but you can not drive 55 miles per hour in the fast lane. Yeah, I know the speed limit says 55 but you are going to get people killed. Move waaaaaaay over to the right please.

4th Vent:

Why oh why do people dart in and out of traffic as if them being in front of you was better than being behind you? If you see a sea of red, you aren't going to go any further in front of me than you were behind me. It's also very dangerous as it causes the person you are darting in front of to slam on their brakes as they had not factored in a car that is two inches from their front bumper.

5th Vent:

Whyyyyyyyyyy of why is there traffic on the expressways at 8 o'clock at night? I thought on Fridays people got off earlier. Companies don't do comp time anymore?

Last but not least

6th Vent:

Whyyyyyyyyy of why with all the people moving into downtown and midtown, they insist on driving everywhere they go. I thought the idea of miving in town was to get away from being stuck in your car. Anyone travelling on the downtown connector can clearly see that there has been an increase in intown living. The North Avenue exit backs up most time onto the connector. To me this defeats the purpose. I assume that these people are residents because it doesn't matter what day of the week, that exit always seems overloaded. I thought Marta was smarta.

Okay, that's all the venting I have for right now. I feel better. :whistling:

Here's my responses to selceted vents:

2- Apparently people are just lazy and greedy.

4- I think this is just an inherited trait of most Atlanta drivers

5- I think this is because people either want to get into the city to go to their Friday night hang-outs or they want to get out to go home.

6- I think this is because they are already so used to driving their car and find no real reason to take transit or another mode of transportation if the one they have works well. Of course, they might also just not want to use MARTA because they might be urban NIMBY's :ph34r:

Archived