301 Hillsborough Street

unique1rdu

The Raleigh bubbas will make sure a local yocal wins the bid-trust me, and don't be surprised if Sandreuter somehow gets in the mix. Even if the Austin group won, the bubbas would make sure to make their lives a living hell until they hightailed it out of town.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see something like the Independent condos tower in Raleigh. It's bold and unique and fits well with Raleigh's image as a city of innovation.

It looks a lot like the Hobgood rendering for behind Chucks/Beasley's. Interestingly their webpage puts that rendering up prominently as the wall paper, and expands the presenting of the project a little. Quite a bit of stuff for something that was supposedly shot down...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would say we really have no idea what it will look like, so I would reserve judgement. In fact I think that Lundy has a good chance of pulling off something awesome here, so I think y'all need to calm down a bit. 

That Texas firm Aspen Heights that everybody was all gaga over was really just a suburban student apartment developer for years, developing stick built two- to three-story suburban student ghettos sided with hardie plank... Until about two years ago when they decided be more than that. Their track record of projects contains exactly one urban apartment tower that is currently under construction and one condo high rise that hasn't sold enough units to begin construction yet.

Lundy Group developed Greenbridge in Chapel Hill, which is the most radical residential project in the Triangle, which to me shows that:

(1) They don't use the local standard JDavis as an architect so we can expect something different and interesting
(2) I would say Greenbridge is cooler than that apartment tower from Aspen Heights in Austin, so they are up there as far as quality
(3) They have the ability to deliver something in the extremely tough regulatory and NIMBY environment of Chapel Hill, so Raleigh should be a cakewalk. Austin is, if anything, less restrictive and less NIMBY than Raleigh.

The Lundy Group had nothing to do with Greenbridge. That was a guy named Tim Toben who sold a tech company for $20M or so and decided he could be a developer. He lost everything he had went Greenbridge went BK and is now living off the grid on an organic farm in Chatham County. The Lundy Group did the Exchange and Castalia buildings in Meadowmont as far as Chapel Hill goes.

• 1 month later...

Here is a word-for-word section from the TBJ article. 

"Lundy's current plan for the property includes erecting two 20-story buildings - one for commercial and the other for residential - with expansive retail space at the bottom of both buildings.  The total amount of commercial space will exceed 300,000 square feet with lease rates in the low 30s, Baker estimates, adding the current plan also calls for the residential tower to have 250 condo units.  Company officials estimate the project will cost about $160 million at the full buildout with structured parking.  But before all that, the Lundy Group may also have to buy the adjacent 0.8-acre property which currently is occupied by a law firm, Baker says.  He declined to discuss financial specifics.  Both towers will start going up at the same time, he says, and the earliest completion time would be sometime in 2018."  

Good stuff.  Sad truth is, they want to do 40 floors worth of skyline changing structure, but they will bypass the design scrutinizing by the city and just stay at the comfortable (but idiotic) 20 floor "max"

They'll also tear down the remaining core of the Hicks mansion....as I've ranted about before...."Hillsborough Street used to be lined with historic residences" they say. "well here is one still remaining" I say. Preserve the house already...I realize the neo classical porches are gone...those can be rebuilt....move it to Wilmington or Blount Street and let it be the a grand residence again. Lundy's suburban portfolio really makes me question everything about them winning this bid...prove me wrong Lundy (I know you guys read this stuff). Prove me wrong. 

St8fan Thank you for that! I would have never thought I'd see this proposal. Quite shocked. 160 million. Wow. Looking forward to seeing a rendering for this. Two towers on that block, which is probably as high as any place dt, will look pretty tall. I do wish they were taller, but hey, it should really spread out the skyline.

• 2 months later...

Not so doom and gloom.  The contract to buy the land was only finalized yesterday (March 23).  Understandable that pretty pictures haven't been released yet.  Developer probably has an idea of what they want to build, but I could see waiting to spend money on architects until everything is official. 

Archived