Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

On 3/30/2021 at 3:41 AM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

5-story, 173 unit building proposed by DC developer in Manchester! 15 W. 7th St.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/30/d-c-developer-plans-5-story-173-unit-apartment-building-in-manchester/

3.30R-commodore3.jpg

Good addition to all the proposed development in that cluster. According to BizSense:

Good stuff. I notice someone had already added it to the development map before the article came out. UP ahead of the curve again lol

taking a long weekend so doing my permit scour this afternoon - a LDIS or land disturbing plan was filed this week to support the site work for the Commodore project at 7th & Hull. As project does not require rezoning or SUP this one is moving quick! note expiration date is November so should see ground turning on this one before the year is out. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/4cc7055d-bf75-4ff4-b4af-2b0bf047328b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, eandslee said:

I agree, but I think the area has the ability to go for more units in one project (instead of a lot of smaller projects that only produce 150 - 250 or so units at once).  The housing shortage is so severe that developers could build like this for years...to just catch up with demand.  It would be nice if a developer took a chance and built a massive housing project on the order of 1,000+ units (be it apartments, condos, or a combination of the two) - we know the market can support it.  Perhaps with condos, you could build taller since they might be able to fetch higher prices, making a taller structure more affordable for developers (well, so that they can make a good profit).  The condos that are next to the Manchester/Mayo Bridge are fetching $1M per unit (or there abouts).  Add some luxury condos to a taller structure and you might be able to get at least $1M/unit to maybe $1.5M/$2M per unit - making it more palatable for developers to build tall.  Not 100% sure if the current market can support that price point, but I don't think Richmond is far off (if it can't right now).  Just a thought.

Anyway, I think the 11-story towers for the Rivers Edge development is probably based on the fact that these units will be apartments...might not be as profitable as luxury condos...at least at first (probably so over years of time).

That's a good point. Demand is very high in the RVA market as people are moving here in droves. I'm sure you've seen the plethora of posts on the RVA/Reddit site -- seems like every day there are a few posts from folks moving here either to take a job or as part of a relocation - and they're asking about RVA neighborhoods, food/beverage scene. It's so encouraging to see this! I guess that's why we're solidly among the faster-growing cities in the country. Based on 2021 estimates, we've grown 14.8% (just the city) since the 2010 census. There aren't that many mid-size, second-tier cities that can make that claim.

You're right about the apartment vs condo equation. I'd be curious to see if a developer would really jump in with both feet and essentially build on spec a large-scale condo building, especially in the areas closer to Hull Street nearer the river being up-zoned to B4. It would be pretty nice to see some 20-plus story buildings at some point. I'll be interested to see if that envisioned building at 201 W. Commerce Road (the building where there's been talk of a grocery store) - might reach 16 stories - but I think that building would have only about 250 units (vs. the potentially larger-scale projects you envision). Ditto anything that rises on the site of the silos. I get the feeling that any bump-ups in height in Manchester likely will be incremental.

13 minutes ago, whw53 said:

taking a long weekend so doing my permit scour this afternoon - a LDIS or land disturbing plan was filed this week to support the site work for the Commodore project at 7th & Hull. As project does not require rezoning or SUP this one is moving quick! note expiration date is November so should see ground turning on this one before the year is out. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/4cc7055d-bf75-4ff4-b4af-2b0bf047328b

It's interesting to see two developments in two different parts of the city that have a very similar look. The new Monument Avenue project - and this project on 7th Street in Manchester, while different, really are quite similar. This kind of thing is common in cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, albeit involving buildings more than a century old.

3700Monument_render1.jpg.ca6a653aefd188554759b1cc8a9ae33c.jpg

3.30R-commodore3.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, rjp212 said:

I think this design was just a concept drawing. I don’t think this is the final design. 

I second your sentiments that this would be a terrible design as it looks just like the other designs in Manchester (the horseshoe shape...tired of that one).   Hopefully, the real design will be so much better. They have to get this right being in such a prominent location!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

I think this design was just a concept drawing. I don’t think this is the final design. 

I second your sentiments that this would be a terrible design as it looks just like the other designs in Manchester (the horseshoe shape...tired of that one).   Hopefully, the real design will be so much better. They have to get this right being in such a prominent location!

For some reason I really want to play Tetris right now...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

I would not expect to see the horseshoe design to go away for developments along the river as it is the best design for capitalizing on the skyline/river views.  Buildings behind these will not have that same incentive, so once the riverfront is built up, then I would expect more varying designs.  Perhaps some more height in order to see over the horseshoes :)

Building taller, skinnier buildings in front of the horseshoes means we could start calling manchester the horseshoe pit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

“It’s important to remember this isn’t a specific proposal but a request to tee up the zoning to allow uses and a density and configuration that allow the marketing of the property,” Lloyd said. “We’re optimistic that once the zoning has been obtained it’ll then allow us to focus on marketing.”

I think the final design will improve. 

Agreed, Coupe. The most important things for all of us to remember is that it’s still early in the process and nothing has been finalized, so there’s a good chance we’ll see a much more aesthetically pleasing design. Early mockups are less about conveying exactly what a building will look like than conveying massing, density, size, height, etc. That said, I think you're right - the final design will improve - hopefully quite a bit.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Icetera said:

I would not expect to see the horseshoe design to go away for developments along the river as it is the best design for capitalizing on the skyline/river views.  Buildings behind these will not have that same incentive, so once the riverfront is built up, then I would expect more varying designs.  Perhaps some more height in order to see over the horseshoes :)

I would STILL love to visualize  20(+) floor residential skyscrapers sporadically gracing the Commerce Rd. corridor leading into Manchester.  Same for Richmond Highway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DalWill said:

I would STILL love to visualize  20(+) floor residential skyscrapers sporadically gracing the Commerce Rd. corridor leading into Manchester.  Same for Richmond Highway.

And even more so in Monroe Ward. I'd love to see downtown residential buildings that crack through the 20-story barrier and hit 30, 40 stories - or more. I realize - baby steps - let's get the 15-20 story residential buildings to start to proliferate ... that alone, I think, will drive up heights, provided demand stays as strong as it has been and continues to be.

Especially considering the announcement of Breeze Airline coming to RIC - and the study indicating underserved routes are RIC-SFO and JAX-RIC - and hopefullly some real success with the RIC-LAX and RIC-LAS routes - and the potential that CoStar has to bring more people here - and the seemingly consistent stream of companies relocating to RIC and the continued influx of new residents from all points across the country - I think Richmond REALLY is at the doorstep of taking a giant leap forward. What we're seeing now is all part of that growth process - birth pains and all.  I can't help but believe that the next 5, 10, 15 (or more) years for Richmond will be amazing.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, rjp212 said:

Approved by the Planning Commission.
https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/18/planning-commission-backs-projects-south-of-the-river-and-in-shockoe-bottom/

The city’s Planning Commission voted to recommend rezoning the Southern States silos site at 2-4 Manchester Road

Included in Hourigan’s rezoning application is a proffer that the development firm would make a series of roadway and infrastructure improvements to increase access to 2-4 Manchester Road.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Saw where someone on the board was trying to get the developer to build the bridge before building permits were to be issued, but then that dude got a dose of reality from a member of the planning commission saying that if they require this, you can kiss this development goodbye.  Or something to that effect. 

Here it is...found it!  What’s wrong with this PW guy?

Brian Copple, a manager at the city’s Department of Public Works, said DPW suggests the proffer be changed so that the improvements be made before receiving a building permit.

“There’s a risk that we’re not in agreement on any of the infrastructure improvements and they’re requesting for a (certificate of occupancy) and we have a bridge to nowhere,” Copple said. “We want to make sure these get done prior to receiving any sort of building permit.”

Planning Commission Chairman Rodney Poole responded saying, “If you force them to do these improvements prior to obtaining a building permit, you’re just pretty much guaranteeing this project won’t get built.”

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, Richmonopoly said:

I looked up from my walk yesterday (one that I generally take often and noticed the 6-story building behind the silos.  

I’m surprised I missed it here and on hikes.   Anyone have any additional information that I may have overlooked?  Thanks! 

F3CB41F0-CABE-472D-850B-B37A212428F9.jpeg

I saw that a few weeks ago too, didn't know anything was going there. It's really shoved back into that spot, going to be weird to access it until whatever development replaces the silos is done.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, whw53 said:

Thanks for this!  Looks great.  I like that it is up against the canal.  
I couldn’t help but think that the canal/creek on the stretching the flood wall has AMAZING potential if developed properly.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What’s funny is that I don’t remember hearing anything about this project. For me, it just popped up one day and was under construction...and it’s not small!!  This was a pleasant surprise!

Yeah really, there's a building there? I have got to get out more. 

Edited by Hike
  • Haha 3

@eandslee the Silos rezoning has been continued to the meeting on Monday June 7th and was not approved tonight. I did not watch the meeting and just caught the resolution - not sure if was discussed during normal course of meeting or was pre-determined prior to meeting start in closed circle.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, whw53 said:

@eandslee the Silos rezoning has been continued to the meeting on Monday June 7th and was not approved tonight. I did not watch the meeting and just caught the resolution - not sure if was discussed during normal course of meeting or was pre-determined prior to meeting start in closed circle.

Thanks for the report.  I was able to catch some of the meeting last night (tuned in online), but I must have missed the part about this rezoning.  Dang it!  Why the delay?  Why would the council be hung up on this?  This is easy...what are their issues?  Ugh!  City Council frustrates me!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, whw53 said:

Week of 2\21 - plan and permit applications of note

1. New rezoning application from B-5 to TOD-1. This is the 'grocery site' alluded to in prior site plans for City View Marketplace. Well, you don't need TOD-1 to build a grocery store - what's interesting is that site is zoned B-5 Central Urban already and other phases of City View were developed under this zoning classification - why would one seek from B-5 to TOD-1? That is the question...We know B-5 has 6 story cap i believe so it could be to build higher to the 12 story TOD-1 cap...OR it could be other reasons, maybe parking reqs etc. One day I'll sit down and read the zoning code to better interpret these moves.

The TOD-1 rezoning for the entire city block addressed at 423 Hull St. was formally INTRODUCED to City Council last night - it proceeds to the Planning Commission to take up at its June 21st meeting. 

Applicant report (link blow) is scant on any specifics a development team may be envisioning but the wording at least suggests the rezoning is to take advantage of the looser height restritions under TOD-1 as opposed to B-5. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4964651&GUID=684F77BD-314B-4BFB-B0B4-EE968F769815&Options=&Search=

423Hull_appSnip.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1