Hotels business booming

sunshine

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we were to get a couple of hotels with substantial convention space Downtown, would they thrive?  Is there too much square footage and marketing might on I-Drive to attract any conferences or shows?  Conventioneers can add some vital bodies on the street in that 5p-11p timeframe, and they usually have a pretty good per-diem to spend.  I don't know too much about the business, but I think some good properties, aggressively marketed, could do reasonably well.

While I love the notion of a demographic other than the existing club goers being downtown after 5pm, I can't imagine any developer putting the resources behind a convention hotel here. When conventioneers finish up in the afternoon each day they move on to client dinners at any of the restaurants on I-Drive or in Dr. Phillips, or head over to the attractions. There aren't enough of these ancillary diversions downtown to satisfy this crowd. I hope I'm wrong.

There is a push for more convention space downtown. 

Don't think large conventions but there are lots of smaller conventions that would be better suited for downtown. 

In his state of the downtown address the only two details about the magic entertainment complex are hotel and convention space (oh and entertainment options).

Don't think large conventions but there are lots of smaller conventions that would be better suited for downtown.

In his state of the downtown address the only two details about the magic entertainment complex are hotel and convention space (oh and entertainment options).

That would be awesome and a huge boon to the local businesses. (And hopefully it would bring in additional businesses for DT residents to patronize.) Here's hoping they can make it happen.

That would be awesome and a huge boon to the local businesses. (And hopefully it would bring in additional businesses for DT residents to patronize.) Here's hoping they can make it happen.

I am pretty sure the city are not supposed to build convention center to compete with OC, unless it is private. Doesnt the Amway Center acts as a convention center as well?

Hyatt is expanding...maybe they will build one here...or maybe someone can talk to Rosen...

Archived