Memphis Construction Photos

Memphis4ever

1 hour ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

That's a great shot! 

Memphis really has a good downtown bone density of buildings. I'd love to see another 3-5 in the 300-500 foot range, and another 3-5 in the 200-300 foot range. Then the skyline would be almost perfect.

Great picture indeed. The Ravine looks pretty good down there at the bottom left! I wish Madison Ave.  was perfectly straight and not realigned like it is now.  You’re right jb, just need to fill in with at least 6 more and the skyline would be perfect. Definitely need more density. I hope that’ll be the goal in the next 10 yrs. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nothingspectacular said:

Memphis has always been a low rise city in keeping with its delta and river geography. The downtown skyline profile has mirrored this and has not drastically changed in decades. Since 1970 only the Pyramid and Raymond James bldg have added significant height and bulk to the profile. Commerce Square, 100 N Main, Sterick, Lincoln Tower and a few others all predate that year. Far too many empty lots.  Hopefully the renovation plans for the empty 100 N Main, Sterick and Raymond James bldgs will materialize. 

I wish there wouldn’t be such an effort to keep things low, but the downtown commission and design review board may have a little something to do with this. The goal for Memphis is to resemble the European model, as most their structures aren’t that tall either. More of an intimate feeling rather than build something tall. I’m all for tall stuff, especially for Memphis, but if it makes Memphis unique to build low versus other cities I’ll take that too. My opinion, the downtown core should be mostly high rises, while the rest should be a smattering of mid to low rise. Rhythm is important when it comes to architecture. 

6 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

That angled building has been torn down and new apartments are going there.

No, that building is still standing and was recently redeveloped into mixed-use.

The parcel behind it on Monroe was previously demoed to make way for the University Lofts development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...