Alamance Crossing

NCgfx

It's not even that walkable IMO, my biggest complaints are the lack of landscaping and the blandness of the facades of the buildings. It brings some much needed shopping options to Burlington but as far as that report earlier in the year that this could be the shopping hub of the state, you can forget it!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am sure that centers like this hope to draw people from other areas, they know the core folks that they are appealing to/hoping to draw in are the locals. This is huge for the Burlington area. It saves us having to drive to Greensboro or the Durham/Raleigh Area for more variety. Regardless of design style, landscaping etc-it will be nice to have some things just 10 minutes away rather than 30 minutes to an hour away for us.

The whole issue regarding what happens to Burlington Square Mall, is going to be a big issue for Burlington city planning. It should be very interesting to monitor how things unfold with the mall and what eventually results.

One rumor that has picked up steam, is that LabCorp was either at one time interested or still pursuing the idea of purchasing the remains of BSM and turning it into some form of large service center/communications hub. Obviously this is a rumor, but it does not sound far fetched.

Demalling BSM or turning it into office space for LabCorp may be the best options for the property after Belk leaves. It'd be possible to pull second-tier anchors in like Value City or Steve & Barry's in its current form, but the results might not be much better than if the place was converted to something else.

An enclosed outlet mall could signal disaster. BMOC is upgrading, a new Tanger Outlet Center could rise in Mebane, and the major focus of Burlington retail is now one exit away.

The whole issue regarding what happens to Burlington Square Mall, is going to be a big issue for Burlington city planning. It should be very interesting to monitor how things unfold with the mall and what eventually results.

One rumor that has picked up steam, is that LabCorp was either at one time interested or still pursuing the idea of purchasing the remains of BSM and turning it into some form of large service center/communications hub. Obviously this is a rumor, but it does not sound far fetched.

Tanger is planning on releasing their plans for their Mebane outlet center. Retailers and a rendering are expected to come out in September or October according to The Alamance News. Tanger has reported that the outlets will be similar to their current outlets in Charleston SC.

If BSM is "demalled" I hope the city of Burlington puts in good land-use plans to keep the Huffman Mill corridor from going down the drain. Beautifying Huffman Mill Rd and making it pedestrian friendly should be a priority. Some good news for the corridor include plans to redevelop the strip mall across the street from Harris Teeters.

On my way back from Durham last night I stopped by Alamance Crossing to see for myself what this new development was like. Honestly it looks much better in person (well at least at night). The section that contained Dillard's, Barnes & Noble, Coldwater Creek, etc. was very walkable. At 9:45 there were many people out leaving the shops talking and enjoying themselves. Sorry if some of these photos seem a little out of focus or are of poor quality, my batteries on my camera were running out and I had to scurry around there fast to capture everything I wanted to. :)

1077853227_2deeb01e97_b.jpg

1077856323_42b5e16794_b.jpg

1077859239_6cd99be0d5_b.jpg

1078720014_553ece7872_b.jpg

1077864577_1bb7f7a3bb_b.jpg

1078725608_d2a58e515d_b.jpg

1078728440_6246f5799b_b.jpg

1077873101_0104847e66_b.jpg

1077876039_17d9fe10e5_b.jpg

1078737136_4fe2368e7a_b.jpg

1078739898_bb49bdff0f_b.jpg

1078742936_da8a3f89de_b.jpg

My HUGE complaint about this center is the lack of lighting from University Drive to the mall. Several people (including myself) got mixed up at the various traffic lights they had throughout that street.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes - The hotel is slated to be built in the several empty parcels around the Olive Garden. Also locating there are Texas Roadhouse, another Christian Bookstore, some type of travel plaza (probably Pilot, or the like), and Red Lobster based on lease plans.

My mom pointed out that Rockola Cafe on Huffman Mill Rd. has closed.... are Red Robin, Chili's, the Olive Garden, etc sucking the life out of Huffman Mill restaurant options? Any other ideas? I can't make an accurate statement because only in NC every few months now!

Drury Inn & Suites is planning a six-story hotel project near Alamance Crossing shopping mall.

Construction on the 144-room, limited-service Drury Inn & Suites likely won't begin until later this year or early 2009, said Joe Pereles, vice president of development for Drury Inns Inc., based in St. Louis, Mo.

• 3 months later...

Finally found out whats being built next to Chilli's on University Drive. It's a new Discount Tire location. Alamance Corssing now has Buffalo Wild Wings under construction. The structures for Red Bowl Asian Bistro and Carousel West End Cinemas 16 (with 5 digital 3D Capability screens) are now completed with movie theater set for a July 4th weekend opening. Last but not least the grading for the second phase of Alamance Crossing has begun which will include shops adjacent to Texas Roadhouse.

Archived