Alamance Crossing

NCgfx

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, Carousel West End Cinemas 16 at Alamance Crossing is replacing the movie theater on Church Street. From what I hear when they sell the building there will a claus that won't allow another theater at that site. I wouldn't mind having a theater that plays independent movies, sells some alcohol, something different for the area and geared towards adults.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new article I found on the new Carousel West End Cinemas 16 and its developer who is building on a special movie theater brand right before our eyes in the Triad.

Some highlights of the new theater include

- a huge balcony right above the main doorway and box-office. The mezzanine will house the theater's Bistro Lounge

- two balconies with outdoor tables and chairs

- free Wi-Fi for patrons with laptops

- a 35mm projector that will play a continuous, one-hour loop of movie trailers on the wall above the concession stand

- the ability to turn balcony projector around, move it to one of the balconies, and project entire movies outdoors

Work on Buffalo Wild Wings is nearing completion. Walls are up. Red Bowl should be done before too long. The cinema opened yesterday, and while I haven't been personally yet, I spoke to someone who did, and he was raving about it. Finally, a cinema with a better than decent sound system in town.

Ground is also being levelled over by Texas Roadhouse. I'm assuming that's to prepare for both Red Lobster and the new strip block that will include Alltel, among others.

Work on Buffalo Wild Wings is nearing completion. Walls are up. Red Bowl should be done before too long. The cinema opened yesterday, and while I haven't been personally yet, I spoke to someone who did, and he was raving about it. Finally, a cinema with a better than decent sound system in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Dark Knight with the wife last night at the new Carousel Cinemas. Absolutely awesome viewing experience. There are plasma tvs all over the place showing previews, the lobby is nice and spacious, ample parking available, seats were comfy rockers with high backs, and the sound system in the theater was simply wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Took some pics of ongoing construction at AC today:

Buffalo Wild Wings and Red Bowl.

th_DSC08083.jpg th_DSC08084.jpg th_DSC08085.jpg th_DSC08086.jpg

What we've been promised, over by the Texas Roadhouse. I'm not sure if what is now a dirt parking lot by the restaurant will be a small strip mall, or if the construction on the other side of the parcel of land from the restaurant will be the location for these stores:

th_DSC08089.jpg th_DSC08087.jpg th_DSC08088.jpg th_DSC08090.jpg th_DSC08091.jpg

No problem. Oh, and I forgot to mention: I assume there's a gas station coming up on the western side (Target) of the exit ramp, because the whole area right at the corner of University Commons is being leveled out. Looks like the entrance will be on the Target side, which makes sense, because if they make the entrance to the gas station right there, it'll be right smack next to the ramp coming up from eastbound I-40/85, and that'll just snarl things up there.

No problem. Oh, and I forgot to mention: I assume there's a gas station coming up on the western side (Target) of the exit ramp, because the whole area right at the corner of University Commons is being leveled out. Looks like the entrance will be on the Target side, which makes sense, because if they make the entrance to the gas station right there, it'll be right smack next to the ramp coming up from eastbound I-40/85, and that'll just snarl things up there.

Tell me you're joking. Because Huffman Mill and Forestdale, or inside Walmart on Garden, or Church and Williamson would all be too far to travel, right? If I didn't know better, I'd smell a conspiracy afoot to rip yet more business away from Huffman Mill Road.

Excuse me 9th when you mention Wal-Mart... I hope the city starts paying attention to Huffman Mill Road. Things could get ugly fast. You now have a decaying shopping strip, 2 empty business, an almost dead mall, and an overpriced ghetto apartment complex called the Brittany all in one area.

• 2 weeks later...

.... and in 10 years, a new mega mall and mega shopping center, and 7000 new homes will be built off of Springwood Church Rd equipped with Costco, Marshalls, hhgregg, big box this, casual restaurant that, while Alamance Crossing will be on the brink of closing and University Drive will have become the next Huffman Mill Rd? I'm almost certain that someone in the Cox family owns a home in Mackintosh... ugh. I think a better move would have been the old West End Cinemas site or some other place on S. Church or University Drive.

I feel like (now this is just through reading mind you since I don't get up to Burlington/Elon much anymore since I left a few years ago) that the area is experiencing an astronomical amount of growth really fast, almost too fast. It's unmitigated and I think it's going to come back and bite everyone in the butt down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The plot of land at the entrance to AC off Garden Road (was used for a Christmas tree lot last year) is being leveled and cleared for something. Anybody got any clue what it is? My wife has heard from someone in her circle of friends that it's supposedly a Hobby Lobby.

In a somewhat related vein, the old Walmart Supercenter on Garden is almost done with the remodeling process. It looks really nice, actually. Shame they didn't include self-checkout lines.

Archived