Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

The much anticipated Grand Opening of SELBA at 2416 West Cary Street is tonight, Thursday August 25th between 5 and 11PM,  Reservations are required.  

I forgot to look up the phone number, and since I don't know how to close the thread and reopen it by the "edit" feature, I'll tell you that the phone number was posted here in the past week or so if you want to try to find it.

And, of course, I haven't the remotest idea of how to enable the emoticons, but if I did, I'd post the two drinking buddies celebrating while swilling beers.

Ciao!

It was my pleasure to host the owner/founder of Sedona Taphouse, Dennis Barbaro and his lovely wife, Julie, at my home recently. Dennis is a former Partner in both the Bonefish and Outback Steakhouse franchises. His new restaurant will be located in Westchester Commons in Midlothian. His descriptions of the concept, potential menu, microbrew selection and entertainment, convinced me that I will be looking forward to giving it a try as soon as it opens. Dennis tells me he is currently hoping for an early November opening. URL to website:

Thanks, Culpeper, for the heads up and website on SEDONA TAP HOUSE.

Richmond will be the first and only SEDONA location, as far as I can determine.

Is your friend from Arizona?

BONEFISH already has a location on Hull Street Road and another, I believe, is under construction in West Broad Village.

Here is a map of Westchester Commons at the junction of US 60 (Midlothian Tpk) and Rt. 288.  SEDONA is M7 on the map.

http://westchester-c...on/commons-map/

Jon and Leah Nelson didn't go out that evening with the intent of reviewing a restaurant.  The pair of food critics from Richmond dot com were pursuing other activities when they happened to stroll by C'EST LE VIN on North 17th Street in Shockoe Bottom.  It's in the middle of the block between Main and Franklin Streets at Walnut Alley and, I believe, is also known as "Art and Wine Gallery."

The Nelson's went in for a glass or two of wine and noted pasta being served at one of the tables, so decided to sample the menu.

Here's their report from Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...iew-ar-1262231/

C'EST LE VIN (Art & Wine Gallery)

15 North 17th Street (between Halligan's and LuLu's in Shockoe Bottom

804/649-9463.

Thursdays are Tango nights.

John Murden of Church Hill Peoples News and other blogs associated with RVANews has confirmed what I reported in these pages some time back:  

The owner of JULEP'S NEW SOUTHERN CUISINE in Shockoe Bottom, Amy Cabaniss, has applied for a liquor license at 2501 West Main Street in the building formerly known as DAVIS AND MAIN.

And guess what?  The new restaurant will be called MINT.

Relative to the above post about MINT (nee DAVIS AND MAIN) Amy Cabaniss  established JULEP'S NEW SOUTHERN CUISINE as her flagship restaurant at 18th and East Franklin Streets in Shockoe Bottom.

It is in the oldest continually operated commercial building in Richmond and is a "destination" restaurant.  

Here is Julep's website:

http://www2.richmond...ges-ar-1225760/

I've noticed that the darling lady known as Karen is spreading her good and well-put-together words beyond her own blog.

Jon Baliles' River City Rapids has enticed her to report on the city's burgeoning new restaurants.

Here are her comments from August 25th about some of the recent additions to the scene:

http://www.rivercityrapids.com/?p=2111

Deveron Timberlake's Short Order column has revelations about restaurant revivals and/or changes in familiar locations.

BYRAM'S LOBSTER HOUSE began life in the 1940's on East Broad Street between 7th and 8th which is now the site of the Federal Court House (across from The National Theatre) then moved later in that decade into a nightclub called The Paddock on West Broad practically underneath the soaring CBS-TV6 tower.  It remained there for years under new management until closing several months ago.

BYRAM'S now has a new owner.

Downtown, the former Cedars at 106 N. 7th Street (between Grace and Franklin) is now called JERUSALEM RESTAURANT.  You may order from a Middle Eastern menu in English, Arabic or Hebrew.

IRON FISH at 3061 Lauderdale Drive was known until recently as The White Anchovy.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1605666

Three new locally-owned restaurants may be coming to the lower levels of a new 5-story building just upstream from THE BOATHOUSE at Rocketts Landing.

I bet a quarter THE BOATHOUSE hopes the new building will not interfere with its skyline views of Richmond.

Incidentally, THE BOATHOUSE served more than 100,000 meals last year.

See "Developments" thread for details.

And, apologies for the lack of paragraphs in my submissions.  I think my old Toshiba laptop is nearing its end.

Restaurant closings are always distressing, but the permanent shuttering of SPROUT CAFE at 1 North Morris Street is especially sad.

SPROUT CAFE AND MARKET in The Fan District near VCU was a very popular place.  It will remain open through Monday, September 5th (Labor Day), then close its doors forever.

Richmond has one less upscale steakhouse.

COPPER GRILL LOBSTER & STEAKHOUSE at Short Pump Town Center has closed.  It was part of a chain that is headquartered in Kansas City.

It's location was just off the parking lot in sight of Macy's.  Funny Bone Comedy Club is directly across and SPTC Food Court is just upstairs.

A tenant has already signed on to take over the COPPER GRILL LOBSTER & STEAKHOUSE property at Short Pump Town Center.  It is an upscale Natinal chain operation, but Mall management will not release the name.  It is expected to open next March.

There is speculation that the unnamed restaurant is either a relocation of the popular churrascaria TEXAS DE BRAZIL in Regency Square or a second operation in Richmond.

COPPER GRILL, where it's easy to drop $300+ for a party of two, had a thriving business at SPTC but will concentrate on its Kansas City operations.  All the major chain restaurants at SPTC have been affected by the slow economy, but COPPER GRILL is the only one of the originals to close.

MALLORY has been lifted from the murky depths of The James River after sinking during Hurricane Irene.

The 74-foot vessel is named after Mallory Square in Key West where hords of tourists watch sunsets.  It arrived in Richmond via the Intercoastal Waterway and was being fitted up to become a floating restaurant at the Richmond docks.

When it is once again shipshape the intent is to go forward with the restaurant plans.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...unk-ar-1284200/

A friend and I saw the matinee of FOLLIES yesterday at The Marquis Theatre on Times Square (within the Marriott Marquis Hotel.)

This is the production that was produced for and by The Kennedy Center and enjoyed a three-month sellout in Washington.  It's still in previews here in New York and will open September 12th. It's a fabulous show with Jan Maxwell, Bernadette Peters, Elaine Page and an all-round incredible cast.  (It's also the reason Bernadette Peters had to cancel her engagement in September with the Richmond Symphony at The Carpenter Theatre.)

Afterwards we had an early dinner at ORSO at 322 W. 46th Street next door to JOE ALLEN's.  In fact, it's under ownership of JOE ALLEN's and is considerably more upscale than its parent.

I had a dry Manhattan, salad, a quartrain of wine, a delicious pasta with Bolognese sauce and finished off with a brandy.  The tab for both of us was $140.

ORSO also has a snazzy and exclusive upstairs space called Bar Centrale popular with the showbiz crowd.

Owner Nat Dance has improved his relationship with VCU by sprucing up his CLUB 534 on Harrison Street between Grace and Broad Street.

I believe Dance, who is the son of a former Petersburg mayor, also owns and operates THE COTTON CLUB on 5th Street across from The John Marshall Residences.

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1608431

Dana Craig glowingly reviewed ANATOLIA GRILL a few months back.

Style Weekly's Matthew Freeman has become smitten with the Turkish restaurant as well and says it's well worth the drive down I-95 to Chester.

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1608465

ANATOLIA GRILL

12131 S. Chalkley Road in Chester

804/751-9157