Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I explicitly remember sitting against the wall at a show at the Nanci Raygun, and just relaxing there... me and about 30 cockroaches. It was pretty gross, but it could churn out some decent vegan food. It was pretty much a hipster hangout like many West Grace places, but the priority seemed to just be in staying financially aloft instead of amenities.

Maybe calling in the Orkin man would have been a step toward financial security. Scaring off the roaches might have appealed to bugged out regulars and attracted new concert-goers as well. :)

From the new-ish Brick, which I think is affiliated with inRich, there's a sad story about the imminent end of WHITE DOG in The Fan: It tells of Barry Pruitt's restaurant career in Richmond, though a stint as operator of AVENUE 805 is omitted. As Barry says, white dog namesake Max can barely get up off the floor and it's not so easy for his master, either.

I'll miss WHITE DOG without Barry and Rosalind.

The following link may or may not work. If not, and you're still interested, go directly to the site.

http://www.brickweekly.com/index.php/theho..._the_white_dog/

Edited by burt

And just after nice comments from Food & Wine Magazine as well as good reports by bugsy and others.

Perhaps new ownership does not mean kitchen changes.

On this note, I was actually planning on going to this restaurant yesterday (my birthday). THis news is disheartening and ruined my plans. After work, I spent my entire birthday asleep.

Maybe calling in the Orkin man would have been a step toward financial security. Scaring off the roaches might have appealed to bugged out regulars and attracted new concert-goers as well. :)

See, the interesting thing is that, nobody really cared about the cleanliness. Several nights a week, the venue was packed to the brim with its regulars seeing shows. The Raygun wasn't going downhill in terms of anything noticable when it closed its doors, and that surprised everybody.

From the new-ish Brick, which I think is affiliated with inRich, there's a sad story about the imminent end of WHITE DOG in The Fan: It tells of Barry Pruitt's restaurant career in Richmond, though a stint as operator of AVENUE 805 is omitted. As Barry says, white dog namesake Max can barely get up off the floor and it's not so easy for his master, either.

I'll miss WHITE DOG without Barry and Rosalind.

The following link may or may not work. If not, and you're still interested, go directly to the site.

http://www.brickweekly.com/index.php/theho..._the_white_dog/

No *BLEEP*ing way!!! What is it with it and Fan restaurants closing their doors this week? Highly acclaimed Fan restaurants at that. I had only been to The White Dog, but it always held a place in my heart since I tried it... and it held a place in my pocket, too. I'll always sport my White Dog handkerchief to pay tribute.

No *BLEEP*ing way!!! What is it with it and Fan restaurants closing their doors this week? Highly acclaimed Fan restaurants at that. I had only been to The White Dog, but it always held a place in my heart since I tried it... and it held a place in my pocket, too. I'll always sport my White Dog handkerchief to pay tribute.

Well, I don't think it has actually closed yet. I inferred from the story that Barry is looking for someone to buy the spot.

And Dogwood didn't close, either. It just changed ownership. Or, at least that's the way I read it. You went to sleep too soon, Aaron. Go out and celebrate your birthday tonight and have a good time. :yahoo:

On this note, I was actually planning on going to this restaurant yesterday (my birthday). THis news is disheartening and ruined my plans. After work, I spent my entire birthday asleep.

See, the interesting thing is that, nobody really cared about the cleanliness. Several nights a week, the venue was packed to the brim with its regulars seeing shows. The Raygun wasn't going downhill in terms of anything noticable when it closed its doors, and that surprised everybody.

Pretty sure Nanci Raygun closed because of issues with the lease and the owner of the building. There were some maintenance issues on the part of the landlord. And the Nanci Raygun folks wanted to buy the building from him, but he wouldn't sell for a reasonable price.

Well, I don't think it has actually closed yet. I inferred from the story that Barry is looking for someone to buy the spot.

And Dogwood didn't close, either. It just changed ownership. Or, at least that's the way I read it. You went to sleep too soon, Aaron. Go out and celebrate your birthday tonight and have a good time. :yahoo:

I guess I did sleep too soon. I even had friends who offered to treat me to Mamma Zu, but I was asleep when they called. <_<

juleps review

mr and mrs bugsy took our richmond farewell dinner at juleps this past saturday. starters were sweet pea cakes for mrs and fried green tomatoes for me. we both thought that they could have put a little more pizazz in the peas, perhaps by breading and grilling the exterior. they were like squashed peas, good but not exciting. the fried green were as good as ever. we'll miss this dish.

mains were scallops for mrs and halibut grilled and put on top of scrambled eggs and mushrooms for me. this halibut dish was really one of the best dishes i've been served in richmond. we had a bottle of oregon pinot gris (A to Z ) at $23/bt. perhaps the best wine value at a restaurant in town ( i think it's $15 or 16 retail)

i don't have the details on mrs bugsy's dish; she liked it so much she wasn't in the sharing mode.

best to all on this board and when we visit richmond again, we'll post again.

BlackFinn of Richmond Blackfinn Website

A group of us went to Blackfinn saturday night to celebrate my birthday. I managed to contact the promotions manager a head of time to make reservations and Toni, took care of everything. No line, no waiting, the table was ready when we arrived. We did not have the typical wait that other restaurants would do. We received free appetizers and discounts off drinks. They also gave me a free shot. The place was crowded and by the time we left at 11, the placed was packed.

If anyone is looking for a new place to hang out, to drink, to watch sports, this is the place.

That being said, this is the dining out thread, so i have to make a few "food" comments.

Hopefully it was just the opening weekend jitters because out of the 11 people there, 10 of us did not like the food.

I ordered the signature blackfinn strip steak. Medium rare. It came medium well, flavorless. I should have guessed when i saw a bottle of A1 sauce sitting on the table. Other people ordered various items such as the blacken chicken sandwich, chicken creole, chicken Balsamica, philly cheesesteak, and everyone felt that the food was ok, not great and had no flavor. The only one that enjoyed their food was the one who ordered the grilled veggie wrap.

So hopefully, you all can visit them, see if they improve the food quality and taste.

juleps review

mr and mrs bugsy took our richmond farewell dinner at juleps this past saturday. starters were sweet pea cakes for mrs and fried green tomatoes for me. we both thought that they could have put a little more pizazz in the peas, perhaps by breading and grilling the exterior. they were like squashed peas, good but not exciting. the fried green were as good as ever. we'll miss this dish.

mains were scallops for mrs and halibut grilled and put on top of scrambled eggs and mushrooms for me. this halibut dish was really one of the best dishes i've been served in richmond. we had a bottle of oregon pinot gris (A to Z ) at $23/bt. perhaps the best wine value at a restaurant in town ( i think it's $15 or 16 retail)

i don't have the details on mrs bugsy's dish; she liked it so much she wasn't in the sharing mode.

best to all on this board and when we visit richmond again, we'll post again.

Goodbye, mr and mrs bugsy. We're really going to miss you here. Will think of you from time to time testing the Santa Fe/Taos culinary scene. JULEP'S was a fitting farewell to Richmond. Ciao, amigos.

Belated birthday greetings, dklee. Sorry to hear of the food shortcomings at BLACKFINN, but as you siuggest, it might have been associated with opening jitters. It seems they did bend over backward to welcome you and your party.

We'll hope that kitchen improvements are in order.

Is there musical entertainment or simply plasma-screen TV?

How was the parking situation?

Good to hear that crowds are filling the place. Thanks for your contribution.

Belated birthday greetings, dklee. Sorry to hear of the food shortcomings at BLACKFINN, but as you siuggest, it might have been associated with opening jitters. It seems they did bend over backward to welcome you and your party.

We'll hope that kitchen improvements are in order.

Is there musical entertainment or simply plasma-screen TV?

How was the parking situation?

Good to hear that crowds are filling the place. Thanks for your contribution.

thanks Burt...

Parking was via the garage next door for 3 bucks or valet for 7. I saw plenty of people walking from who knows where, so i am sure they have ample parking around.

The place was surrounded by tons of plasmas... you get a personal one in a booth. They had a DJ that started playing music. We left before the place got extremely loud but i am sure they will have live bands soon.

thanks Burt...

Parking was via the garage next door for 3 bucks or valet for 7. I saw plenty of people walking from who knows where, so i am sure they have ample parking around.

The place was surrounded by tons of plasmas... you get a personal one in a booth. They had a DJ that started playing music. We left before the place got extremely loud but i am sure they will have live bands soon.

We went on Sat night for the grand opening at Blackfinn, but it was quite a bit earlier. The "event" was supposed to be from 6-9pm, but it seemed more like a happy hour rather than a grand opening party. Mostly it seemed like an upscale sports-bar, not the Irish pub that I was expecting. Big place, lots of people.

I wonder how well it will do, only because it is kind of tucked away from plain view. In a sense that is nice, and you can look out onto the canal walk from the outdoor patio. My concern is that people won't think to go there randomly, even though it is just a couple of blocks from Shockoe Slip. From what I'm told, you can walk to it from the Omni/Tobacco Co. part of Shockoe Slip. (I haven't tested that out yet, but that's what I hear.)

We went on Sat night for the grand opening at Blackfinn, but it was quite a bit earlier. The "event" was supposed to be from 6-9pm, but it seemed more like a happy hour rather than a grand opening party. Mostly it seemed like an upscale sports-bar, not the Irish pub that I was expecting. Big place, lots of people.

I wonder how well it will do, only because it is kind of tucked away from plain view. In a sense that is nice, and you can look out onto the canal walk from the outdoor patio. My concern is that people won't think to go there randomly, even though it is just a couple of blocks from Shockoe Slip. From what I'm told, you can walk to it from the Omni/Tobacco Co. part of Shockoe Slip. (I haven't tested that out yet, but that's what I hear.)

Yep, it probably takes all of three minutes to get from the pay lot across from the Omni to Blackfinn. I've been parking there to go to Friday Cheers and it doesn't take too much longer than that to get all the way down to the festival area of the island. I think they marketed well enough to the right folks to not have to worry about being overlooked.

We're not in Twin Hickory anymore, Dorothy. This Fan version of HOME TEAM GRILL needs a bit of wizardry, according to Dana Craig.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...06-21-0026.html

Yeah, I saw that this morning. I didn't realize that they had opened one in Powhatan, too.

At least it's another outdoor patio in the Fan for those days when everyone wants to eat outside.

Yeah, I saw that this morning. I didn't realize that they had opened one in Powhatan, too.

At least it's another outdoor patio in the Fan for those days when everyone wants to eat outside.

Good to hear from you again, nhughes.

I wouldn't expect the Fan location of HOME TEAM GRILL to be anything more than it is -- another neat hang-out for grub food and beer guzzling.

Have you any news on NORTHSIDE GRILL?

Edited by burt