Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Interesting you bring him up because I just saw an ad in Richmond Magazine for Carytown Seafood and I was puzzled. I remember reading Tlusty was no longer doing the hamburger thing, instead taking over CSaI and trying to make it the next Limani. However, the ad I saw listed someone else as the executive chef.

Weird- it wasn't too long ago that he went there. Between the disaster that was Duro, the shelved burger place and now this, I'm beginning to wonder if he's got some personal issues going on.

Jon Sarvay has some interesting stuff about Kitchen 64, Northside Grille and the changing face of Northside restaurants.

Very excited about the progress being made at the Northside Grille, as I only live a few blocks away. It will be a welcome addition to the neighborhood! And I'll be sure to let you all know when it (finally) opens.

Just a quick update on Dot's Back Inn. Been there a few times since ownership changed and the food's still great. The dinner menu's the same, although I've heard that they're planning on making changes (for example, getting rid of the Chicken Macarthur entree). They're open for Sunday brunch now (used to only be open for Saturday brunch) -- and making additions to the brunch menu, if they haven't already. And one of the waitresses told me recently that they're going to try to get some outdoor seating (in front) okayed through the city.

Jon Sarvay has some interesting stuff about Kitchen 64, Northside Grille and the changing face of Northside restaurants.

Finally, Giavos has completed his jumps thru the city hoops! The Buttermilk & Mollasses blog confirms an opening in May of KITCHEN 64 on North Boulevard near the I-95 ramp.

Yesterday, a few relatives who were lunching at CAN CAN cell-phoned me to ask where they might have dinner (food definitely on their minds). They were going to be at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden late in the afternoon, so I suggested NORTHSIDE GRILLE, but when I called, I got an answering machine that said they hoped to open "early 2007".

B&M's blog about Northside Grille is reassuring.

Anyway, I suggested HERMITAGE GRILL at 6010 Hermitage Road. I hope my rels found it open on Mondays. :)

I ate at Chef Mamusu's Africanne on Main (300 E Main St) yesterday for lunch. I had tasted food from the place at the Richmond Vegetarian festival last year, and had been dying to try it since then, but the place always seemed impossible to get in touch with. Thought it had closed until a call yesterday.

The restaurant is basically entirely buffet style, where you get all the food you want on a container, and then they weight it. The price was $6 a pound, and I ended up spending almost exactly $7... which includes the weight of the plate. Make no fat jokes! The buffet wasn't in full blast, I'm guessing it is during dinner, but what was available was delicious, for the most part. There were two meat dishes, and all the rest were vegetarian-friedly. The fried trout was dry and a bit bland, and the "famous" macaroni certainly wasn't famous for its flavor or consistency. Other than that, the corn bread was delicious, sweet fried plantains were expectedly yummy, and my favorite thing I tried ended up being the soy chicken and spinach.

Nothing was particularly mindblowing about it, but it was a great new experience, and something I'd be willing to try agian, especially at a different time and day since they rotate specials in the buffet. The staff was very friendly too.

Oh, and speaking of buffets, I also tried the lunch buffet at Indian K'Raja in the West End shopping strip by Manila Manila, Yen Cheng, and Franco's.

It was a flat price of $8 for adults for the buffet. Once again... nothing that completely blew me away, although there was definitevely some stand outs. Not fluent in Indian, or it's cuisine names, most of the names slip me. However, I've eat a reasonable amount of Pakistani food in my day to draw some comparisons. My favorite was Aloo Gobhi, a cauliflower and potato dish that was well-spiced. Other item names I remember trying were idli (steamed rice cake).... kheer (rice pudding dessert).... yep, can't remmeber anymore at the moment. Some of the dishes were far too salty for my taste, but a lot of them seemed less-spiced that I was expecting and hoping for. Overall, it was a great new experience, but I'm not totally compelled to come back too soon or anything.

I wonder how much authenticity the food had lost in translation, if any at all. Pakistani cuisine is very similar to a lot of cuisine of India, and most of the Pakistani food that I've tried was, in general, more flavorful and spicey than Indian K'Rajah's. However, I noticed that the majority of the customer were of Indian descent, so perhaps that's a complement to it's fidelity to the original.

I wonder how much authenticity the food had lost in translation, if any at all. Pakistani cuisine is very similar to a lot of cuisine of India, and most of the Pakistani food that I've tried was, in general, more flavorful and spicey than Indian K'Rajah's. However, I noticed that the majority of the customer were of Indian descent, so perhaps that's a complement to it's fidelity to the original.

India K'Raja is OK, but that's about it. I much prefer Royal India and Malabar.

Shish Kabob, which is tucked in behind Fuddruckers at Broad/Parham, is a quite good Pakistani place (and perhaps the only one in town).

Shish Kabob, which is tucked in behind Fuddruckers at Broad/Parham, is a quite good Pakistani place (and perhaps the only one in town).

There's actually a relatively new Pakistani restaurant I've been wanting to try: Kabab Grille. Apparently, it's not much to speak of visually (rather dive-ish), but it's supposed to be very good Pakistani. The online menu does look very similar to many Indian menus.

Speaking of Indian restaurants, my favorite, hands down, is India Garden & Grill, strangely also in Midlothian, an area of town I don't get to very often. India Garden & Grill is the only Indian restaurant I've been to in Richmond that does both Northern and Southern Indian cuisine very well. It's usually one or the other. If I recall correctly, Malabar is one of the few solely Southern Indian restaurants around.

What about Farouk's House of India in Carytown. The more i think about it, the more it seems like there aren't THAT many Indian or Pakistani food placed in Richmond... not nearly as many Thai, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc places... or so it seems.

Ouch. According to Dana Craig everyone would be well-advised to go to LEGEND BREWING for their excellent brews and wonderful skyline view -- and maybe a little bar snacking. But leave great food expectations at home.

Tab for two: $57.

LEGEND BREWING CO.

321 West 7th Street

Tel. 804/232-3446.

Web Site: http://www.legendbrewing.com

Edited by burt

:lol: How about ZUPPA, Henry? Do you recall the Nazi soup baron on Seinfeld? I hope it doesn't reflect on our delightful ZUPPA which has gracious service. :)

My wallet hates you guys. Ever since reading all you rave reviews, I practically live in that place.

Well count me as one that can't stand Zuppa. It's no great feat to make all your own bread for sandwiches if it all looks and tastes like Texas toast.

Have you tried their soups? Considering that their name means "soup" in Italian, I would have to assume that they are not just trying to market their bread. I have to say that every meal I have had there has been excellent, had great service, and a reasonable price. Plus, they have Sierra Nevada on tap :thumbsup: I just cannot stand that drab wall by the men's room, but atleast the incoming TV will help there.

PS. I think speaking negative of Zuppa's on this forum may be grounds for removal.

Edited by Icetera

:lol: Differences of opinion make the World go round, Ice. I happen to like ZUPPA, also, but that opinion is based only on two visits -- one at the tiny spot across the street and in March, the former Jacqueomo's.

But jbjust, I have to add that my two companions remarked especially on the bread. Each liked it enough to wax ecstatic; and I thought it was pretty good, too. :)

:lol: Differences of opinion make the World go round, Ice. I happen to like ZUPPA, also, but that opinion is based only on two visits -- one at the tiny spot across the street and in March, the former Jacqueomo's.

But jbjust, I have to add that my two companions remarked especially on the bread. Each liked it enough to wax ecstatic; and I thought it was pretty good, too. :)

I was more poking fun at everyone's love for Zuppa with my last comment, although love earned :)

I know this is off-topic, but I had Chocolate Mousse at The White Dog yesterday and..... oh... my... goodness. Although it was my second time having it, it was just as rich and awesomely delicious as I remember.

Okay, back to Zuppa. What's the "best" soup there?

That question should be a New Quiz in the "Name that restaurant" thread which you established but seldom visit. But for the record, I had their Lobster Bisque on both visits and if other soups are as good, mmmm!

I love WHITE DOG -- at least when it was under the ownership and on-hands management of Barry Pruitt. It is intimate, friendly with relatively subdued background music, and turns out some outstanding dishes from the tiny kitchen.

I have heard that Barry and his artist wife have relinquished management and now calls Wilmington, NC home. Can someone verify that?

I know this is off-topic, but I had Chocolate Mousse at The White Dog yesterday and..... oh... my... goodness. Although it was my second time having it, it was just as rich and awesomely delicious as I remember.

Okay, back to Zuppa. What's the "best" soup there?

Everyone loves the She Crab, but I'm not a big fan. However, the Thai Chicken Noodle rocks! And personally, I love the bread. Texas Toast it is, but how can you not love big thick bread with lots of butter toasted in?

I was there for lunch on Tuesday. They had a sandwich special that was incredible: blackened wahoo with mango salsa....on Texas Toast. :)