Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Did you actually eat at Sumo San? I have only been twice myself, but I think the service is what impressed me the most. I have never seen in very busy, though. Akida is my usual Sushi spot.

I agree with BGW on Sumo San. Pretty awful sushi. Nearly as bad as Nara, in my opinion. I've made better sushi at home!

Did you actually eat at Sumo San? I have only been twice myself, but I think the service is what impressed me the most. I have never seen in very busy, though. Akida is my usual Sushi spot.

We did eat at Sumo San. In fact, service was just as bad as the food, even though nobody else was in the place. I'd rather eat Ukrops sushi than go back.

Edited by BGW

Nara sushi has somehow become a better music venue than a sushi restaurant lately.

Only advice I can offer is go to either Akida. A friend of mine works in the kitchen in the Fan location, and ensures the quality of the sushi. ^_^

I've also heard that Ichiban in the West End is pretty awesome. Never been though.

Nara sushi has somehow become a better music venue than a sushi restaurant lately.

Only advice I can offer is go to either Akida. A friend of mine works in the kitchen in the Fan location, and ensures the quality of the sushi. ^_^

I've also heard that Ichiban in the West End is pretty awesome. Never been though.

Ohh, if we're talking sushi, I have to weigh in. I cannot agree more than Nara is the WORST place I have ever eaten. It floors me that they are still in business. Maybe it's the music you mention. I'm honestly surprised I didn't get food poisoning. Ugh.

Never been to Sumo San but I've heard "Love it!" or "Hate it!" and nothing in between.

Osaka on River Road is my favorite sushi spot, but it's kinda pricey. Definitely worth it though.

Akida is great for straightforward sushi, and it's consistently good.

If you haven't been to Ichiban, go now! It's great! Not only are the owners wonderful, but the sushi is great and not overpriced.

I was disappointed by Haru Sushi in the Village shopping center: too over-priced. I'd rather go to Ukrop's at the end of the shopping center.

Kobe in Shockoe Slip is pretty good, but it's more expensive than most places. I've heard they have sushi happy hour after work with discounted rolls.

I heard a new sushi place is opening in Carytown where Indochine used to be. The windows have been papered forever but I drove by there yesterday, and the paper's gone and a "now hiring" sign is in the window.

Ok, now I'm done. Sorry, just love sushi so I had to add my two cents.

How come no one has mentioned HANNA SUSHI in The Slip. I've been told that is the most authentic of all.

Hana Zushi has changed names and owners (?). I haven't been there since it switched, but from the outside it looks the same.

Niwanohana Japanese Restaurant

1309 East Cary Street

804-225-8801

I was never that impressed with Hana Zushi. To me, it was just like everywhere else, includiing random non-authentic sushi with cream cheese or tempura to appeal to the American palate. However, the bento boxes at lunch are big, filling and good. Have no idea if it's still the same. Anyone been?

Hana Zushi has changed names and owners (?). I haven't been there since it switched, but from the outside it looks the same.

Niwanohana Japanese Restaurant

1309 East Cary Street

804-225-8801

I was never that impressed with Hana Zushi. To me, it was just like everywhere else, includiing random non-authentic sushi with cream cheese or tempura to appeal to the American palate. However, the bento boxes at lunch are big, filling and good. Have no idea if it's still the same. Anyone been?

Hmmmm. On several visits to The Slip, I have noticed groups of Japanese going in and out of the small place which struck me as an endorsement. But since Sushi and I don't get along, I remain an observer in this discussion. :)

Hana translates to "rose". What do you suppose NIWAN0hana means?

In 1984, on my travels around the US, I went to a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Cincinnatti. Richmond's restaurant scene was just budding, so I told the owner he should think about expanding to Virginia's Capital. He said that he had heard that Richmond was an up-and-coming city and perhaps ready for Japanese (there were zero in the city at the time).

I can't swear by this, but I heard a rumor that KOBE is an off-shoot of that Cincinatti restaurant. I'm sure my 1984 suggestion was not the reason for expansion, but it is something of a co-incidence, if true.

We did eat at Sumo San. In fact, service was just as bad as the food, even though nobody else was in the place. I'd rather eat Ukrops sushi than go back.

Been to Sumo San several times and have enjoyed each visit. I dont consider myself a sushi connoisseur by any means but I have enjoyed many of the different rolls they offer and have never had a bad experience with the service. If Victor is working behind the bar be sure to order a round of Saki Bombs!

Hmmmm. On several visits to The Slip, I have noticed groups of Japanese going in and out of the small place which struck me as an endorsement. But since Sushi and I don't get along, I remain an observer in this discussion. :)

What I like the most about Hana Sushi (Niwanohana Sushi?) is that you can find relatively authentic Japanese cuisine other than sushi. (Niwanohana means "flowers in the garden"). The atmosphere is also really cool, especially if you choose to sit in the window at the Japanese style table. However, if you're willing to make the drive, I think Ichiban is still the best in Richmond - just as it's name indicates (ichiban means "number one").

However, if you're willing to make the drive, I think Ichiban is still the best in Richmond - just as it's name indicates (ichiban means "number one").

Indeed. The only sushi I've eaten that I thought was better than theirs was in Manhattan (can't remember the name of that place to save my life), but I rarely go there due to its distance. I really hope the place in Carytown turns out to be good.

In 1984, on my travels around the US, I went to a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Cincinnatti. Richmond's restaurant scene was just budding, so I told the owner he should think about expanding to Virginia's Capital. He said that he had heard that Richmond was an up-and-coming city and perhaps ready for Japanese (there were zero in the city at the time).

I can't swear by this, but I heard a rumor that KOBE is an off-shoot of that Cincinatti restaurant. I'm sure my 1984 suggestion was not the reason for expansion, but it is something of a co-incidence, if true.

KOBE is actually owned by the people who opened Kabuto's. Sam is the owner for both.

KOBE is actually owned by the people who opened Kabuto's. Sam is the owner for both.

OK, dklee, there goes my hypothesis. :D

BUT, maybe Sam is also connected to the Japanese restaurant in Cincinnatti :dontknow:

Edited by burt

There's no question that ICHIBAN wins the "best sushi in Richmond" award with OSAKA weighing in, as well.

So getting back to Coupe's original question, ICHIBAN, way out west in the suburbs, ranks tops in Metro.

Of the URBAN sushi options, I suppose rankings would be in this order: AKIDA, KOBE, NIWANOHANA SUSHI, SUMO SAN and in definite last place, NARA.

As BGW says, we'll wait and see what the new Carytown spot offers. That location was, until recently, an excellent Vietnamese-with-French-overtones cafe called INDOCHINE.

Edited by burt

Building Permits reveals that Sam's Associates ll LLC is preparing 21 North 17th Street to the tune of $125,385 for build-out as a restaurant and office space.

Before The Bottom was "in", there was a worker's restaurant at that location called SAM's. It's on the s/e corner of 17th at Franklin and has been vacant for some time.

Just ate at Southern Railway Deli. Surprisingly, there were probably 10-15 people in there eating for Sunday lunch even though the place has only been open a short while. I ordered a Panini which had great flavor, they just haven't figured out how long to cook it yet apparently as mine still had a couple of cold spots.

They've obviously decided to open before they were fully ready for the public -- the owner said that their grand opening would be in a couple of months. Once they get everything running smoothly, I think this place could be a huge weekday lunch hit. For one, the place is gigantic, easily the biggest place on the slip. Second, they serve just about everything: salads, pizza, pasta bar, gyros, homemade gelato, full coffee bar. They are also going to be sort of a convenience store for the folks at Vistas on the James.

Just ate at Southern Railway Deli. Surprisingly, there were probably 10-15 people in there eating for Sunday lunch even though the place has only been open a short while. I ordered a Panini which had great flavor, they just haven't figured out how long to cook it yet apparently as mine still had a couple of cold spots.

They've obviously decided to open before they were fully ready for the public -- the owner said that their grand opening would be in a couple of months. Once they get everything running smoothly, I think this place could be a huge weekday lunch hit. For one, the place is gigantic, easily the biggest place on the slip. Second, they serve just about everything: salads, pizza, pasta bar, gyros, homemade gelato, full coffee bar. They are also going to be sort of a convenience store for the folks at Vistas on the James.

Not only for Vistas, JSI. There are lots of apartment dwellers in the Slip who will need toothpaste or other incidentals. They'll be happy to have convenience offerings as well as deli options.

I was in SOUTHERN RAILWAY DELI in late March and agree with your assessment.

Building Permits reveals that Sam's Associates ll LLC is preparing 21 North 17th Street to the tune of $125,385 for build-out as a restaurant and office space.

Before The Bottom was "in", there was a worker's restaurant at that location called SAM's. It's on the s/e corner of 17th at Franklin and has been vacant for some time.

Is this the old location of THE KITCHEN TABLE, located next to CAFE GUTENBURG? I heard the owners of MILLIE'S DINER were taking over that space and turning it into a restaurant called LULU'S but I can't find any information on it.

Is this the old location of THE KITCHEN TABLE, located next to CAFE GUTENBURG? I heard the owners of MILLIE'S DINER were taking over that space and turning it into a restaurant called LULU'S but I can't find any information on it.

No, cp. Old Kitchen Table is practically next door to Guttenberg. No. 21 is (I am almost certain) at the opposite end of 17th Street at Franklin and years ago was called SAM's.

Last I heard about Kitchen Table space was that the former owner of LEMANI planned to open a fancy kind of Hamburger place. But that was months ago and it's still vacant (or was in early April).

There had been talk last fall that MILLIE's would open a Southwest-themed restaurant on the ground floor of the Berry Burk Building at 6th and Grace. That, too, fell thru.

LULU's sounds like a great idea (love the name), especially if it would be a MILLIE's property. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

Just talked to a Richmond friend who told me that she and several other old ladies drove downtown to see the Queen and were lucky enough to find a parking place on 4th Street. So, they dropped into LOUISIANA FLAIR for lunch. She told me to tell everyone that they have the best Bread Pudding with a whiskey sauce that "she has ever put in her old mouth." :w00t:

She said that her cat fish entree was not as good as it is at CORNER BAR AND GRILL (1300 West Leigh Street), but that the other old gals were raptuous over LF's Gumbo.

LOUISIANA FLAIR is on the n/w corner of 4th and Grace Streets.

Edited by burt

Not only for Vistas, JSI. There are lots of apartment dwellers in the Slip who will need toothpaste or other incidentals. They'll be happy to have convenience offerings as well as deli options.

I was in SOUTHERN RAILWAY DELI in late March and agree with your assessment.

Burt, your "old" eyes have deceived you, jbjust wrote the critique of Southern Railway Deli :w00t:

However, I stopped in there a few weeks ago for a decent serving of homemade gelato for like $1.75. It was a very good deal IMHO!

Last I heard about Kitchen Table space was that the former owner of LEMANI planned to open a fancy kind of Hamburger place. But that was months ago and it's still vacant (or was in early April).

Matt Tlusty is now executive chef at the Carytown Seafood place out in Innsbrook. I'd say he's not going to open any sort of place of his own anytime soon.

Yes, Sam's was at 21 N.17th (SE corner of Franklin) from 1917, being located across the street from several iterations of the Farmers' Market over sixty years, but closed wayyy before the Bottom became chic in the late 70s.

Matt Tlusty is now executive chef at the Carytown Seafood place out in Innsbrook. I'd say he's not going to open any sort of place of his own anytime soon.

Interesting you bring him up because I just saw an ad in Richmond Magazine for Carytown Seafood and I was puzzled. I remember reading Tlusty was no longer doing the hamburger thing, instead taking over CSaI and trying to make it the next Limani. However, the ad I saw listed someone else as the executive chef.

All I know is after I ate there I had absolutely no plans to return, so let's hope CSaI gets itself in gear.

Burt, your "old" eyes have deceived you, jbjust wrote the critique of Southern Railway Deli :w00t:

However, I stopped in there a few weeks ago for a decent serving of homemade gelato for like $1.75. It was a very good deal IMHO!

The old brain is fading, JSI, but there's still a little life in the old boy. :lol:

Apologies to you, jbjust and to you JSI; but glad that my error elicited your comment about SOUTHERN RR DELI. :)