Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

BP will be pleased to hear this: CROOSSROADS COFFEE AND ICE CREAM will shift locations this summer from Forest Hills to the former WORLD CUP on Morris Street in The Fan.

Another item from Deveron in today's Style relates the story of a woman at THE TRACK in Carytown who grew so annoyed by boisterous diners in a group of eight that she stood up at her table and harranged everyone in the restaurant about the noise level. This was reported to Deveron by a first-time diner in a party of six who loved the restaurant, food and service. Even though her party were not the complainer's target, the incident cast a pall over her evening at THE TRACK.

Gulp! I was in a group of eight at THE TRACK on a recent Thursday. We had a lot of fun but I don't believe we annoyed other customers. Aty least no one stood up and hassled us. In fact, owner Chris Liles, an old acquaintance, visited at our table to exchange reminiscences.

Edited by burt

I thought rather than shifting locations, the Fan location would be Crossroad's second location...

You're correct, they're not moving, but adding a 2nd location. Based on their popularity amongst locals, I suspect the neighborhood would be devastated if they left. Best coffeeshop in town, as evidenced by the fact that when I go, I can rarely get in the front door due to the crowd!

haha I went there this summer for the first time after a day at the river. Cool place...

Yeah, I like it a lot. As good as the coffee is, it's even better as a place to relax and grab a grilled cheese or slice of pie. I think they'll do well in the Fan space, especially since they're not afraid of that Green-colored coffee place.

By the way, best of luck on the new blog. I'm really digging all the neighborhood blogs that are popping up around town.

Thanks! I've actually got it easy- John M. did all the hard work. I just whacked him over the head and stole his code. But yeah, it's been really cool to see the interest from the neighborhood folks. Here's hoping other neighborhoods join the fun soon.

Not to stray too far off topic... but they seem like they will become/are great tools for bringing back/strengthening that sense of neighborhood that so many places have lost. They pull all sorts of people out and together that all want to improve their neighborhoods. I'd like to see one dedicated to downtown as well. Anyways, best of luck again.

Dana Craig inaugerates the new Times Dispatch format with a not-so-hot review for JJ McFARLEY's, a new place that appears to be packing 'em in at Crossridge Shopping Center, 10298 Staples Mill Road, tel: 804/755-6229. She and party had a pleasant wait at the neat bar before being led to a table.

JJ McFARLEY's offers "play-it-safe" dishes amid horse racing decor and paraphenalia, as well as smiling service.

Two stars.

Tab for two: $85

Its web site is under construction.

Can anybody update us on progress at ther ROTJ restaurants? BLACKFIN should be close to opening.

Any movement at all at BLANC BLEU in the Power Plant?

And is there any activity at the Lady Bird site of HIGHWATER? If concerts are to begin at TOADS in June, you'd think there would be lots of scurrying around.

BP will be pleased to hear this: CROOSSROADS COFFEE AND ICE CREAM will shift locations this summer from Forest Hills to the former WORLD CUP on Morris Street in The Fan.

Another item from Deveron in today's Style relates the story of a woman at THE TRACK in Carytown who grew so annoyed by boisterous diners in a group of eight that she stood up at her table and harranged everyone in the restaurant about the noise level. This was reported to Deveron by a first-time diner in a party of six who loved the restaurant, food and service. Even though her party were not the complainer's target, the incident cast a pall over her evening at THE TRACK.

Gulp! I was in a group of eight at THE TRACK on a recent Thursday. We had a lot of fun but I don't believe we annoyed other customers. Aty least no one stood up and hassled us. In fact, owner Chris Liles, an old acquaintance, visited at our table to exchange reminiscences.

Okay, I was so confused about all this Starbucks, World Cup, Crossroads Mumbo Jumbo, but I see what's going on here. World Cup is "closing" as in it's changing hands to Crossroads, who will hopefully be a better power at fighting off the new Starbucks.

Weird! And annoying! I'm glad to see efforts to curb the "Big Green Monster," but it annoys me that they have to take place in the first place. World Cup was a great place to grab coffee, tea, and food... even vegan... all with FREE WiFi. Starbucks doesn't even begin to fill that void with their pricey wireless internet, and, in my opinion, crappy environment and mediocre coffee.

Ironically this was all cleared up to me from this article in Brick Weekly (after our discussion about the subparness of the publication):

http://www.brickweekly.com/index.php/slapd...orld_cup_turns/

Can anybody update us on progress at ther ROTJ restaurants? BLACKFIN should be close to opening.

Any movement at all at BLANC BLEU in the Power Plant?

And is there any activity at the Lady Bird site of HIGHWATER? If concerts are to begin at TOADS in June, you'd think there would be lots of scurrying around.

Blackfinn has some of the exterior dug up, and appears to have a bit of work left on the interior, though I was only there a week and a half ago. Power Plant side still looks completely dead, but an ABC license, etc were up.

After my last weekly check up of Lady Bird, I can see where there is room on the bottom floor to atleast accomodate dining, though it really kills any idea of balcony seating. The only progress I could see in the past week was that they covered most, but not all, of the windows with paper. Appears more to hide the view than for any other purpose. I will probably swing back out that way again this weekend while checking out Tobacco Row apartments. I cannot believe I moved Southside :(

Ok, I just took another look down there and I have to say that nothing has really changed. Black Finn, though looking promising, is far from complete and Toad's has more paper covered windows. The power plant is still very empty.

I do wish someone would get a photo of Vistas as viewed from 14th and Cary. The view is great seeing the contrast of the old renivated warehouses and the modern glass highrise.

Ok, I just took another look down there and I have to say that nothing has really changed. Black Finn, though looking promising, is far from complete and Toad's has more paper covered windows. The power plant is still very empty.

I do wish someone would get a photo of Vistas as viewed from 14th and Cary. The view is great seeing the contrast of the old renivated warehouses and the modern glass highrise.

Thanks for snooping around these properties, Icetera. I imagine that HIGHWATER and TOADS patrons will have access to the balconies, don't you? Maybe like a cocktail lounge, but I do believe the restaurant itself will be on the lower level.

BLACKFINN, at early April, looked pretty far advanced. What kind of exterior work is underway?

I guess we all have extreme doubts about BLANC BLEU ever opening. The Power Plant is such a super great space. There must be some major stumbling block for potential entertainment/restaurant developers at ROTJ because large areas on the condo tower's ground level overlook the river, and they are vacant as well.

There is an excellent picture of Vistas as seen from 14th above Main taken, I'm pretty sure, by Cadeho. I think it is in Richmond in Pictures III and fairly recent.

Black Finn had the bar and some of the cabinets built, light fixtures hanging, and the suspended ceiling trusses hung. Still a lot of work to be done on the wood floors and the walls. The pavement around the corner of the restaurant is dug up, I suppose for some realated utility work.

Access to the balcony on Lady Bird is from the canal side second story unit and from a narrowing hall along the wall seperated the previously mentioned unit and what may be the dressing area. There is a small patio to fill in where the backstage area juts out, which is linked to what may be the restaurant.

Millie's diner

mr and mrs bugsy were able to be seated without wait at 7.00PM this past Saturday after enjoying the movie "HOAX" (based on the true story, this movie was great). we started with a basic green salad and a zucchini fritter. salad was fine; fritter with a base of tomato coulis was really outstanding. mains were a thai shrimp dish for mrs bugsy and a tuna "steak" for me. mrs could manage to eat only one of her shrimp reporting that they did not taste fresh. the noodles and spices were very good...perhaps we should have complained....the tuna done rare on top of some sweet potatoes mashed was very good.

a bottle of kermit lynch "cotes du rhone" at $ 26 and the bill totaled $ 94 before tip. the shrimp quality spoiled an otherwise

fine outing.

Always pleased to hear your dining-out experience mr & ms bugsy. Sorry to hear about the shrimp because I always believed that MILLIE's selections of meats, seafood and produce was impeccable. Could it have been an Asian spice in the Thai preparation?

Let us hear of your next adventure.

Have you tried CABO's CORNER BISTRO at 2053 West Broad?

For all you sushi lovers... any recommendations on a good sushi restaurant within the city?

Akida or Sumo San are my local favorites. Good food, good service. Akida is a very small family location. Sumo San is more the Shockoe Bottom trendy style, but excellent. Akida is on Robinson just South of Broad and Sumo San is on Main between 16th and 17th. I have yet to try Japanese restaurant in the Slip. Personally I would suggest that you avoid Nara like the plague. They used to be decent for cheap, but have since declined greatly in service and quality.

Edited by Icetera

Is River Road Shopping Center II within the city limits? I have heard that OSAKA located there is a good sushi restaurant. and there's an excellent one out in the county -- ICHIBAN at 10490 Ridgefield Pkwy.

But why not try KOBE on 13th Street in The Slip?

For all you sushi lovers... any recommendations on a good sushi restaurant within the city?

As a HUGE sushi lover, I would recommend Akida. Best sushi in the city, in my opinion. Only been to the Fan location, but they do have a West End location as well. Also recommend Kobe in the Slip. And just tried takeout from Roda up near Virginia Center Commons the other night and it was pretty good. Would NOT recommend Nara (near VCU) or Sumo San (in the Bottom).

Akida or Sumo San are my local favorites. Good food, good service. Akida is a very small family location. Sumo San is more the Shockoe Bottom trendy style, but excellent. Akida is on Robinson just South of Broad and Sumo San is on Main between 16th and 17th. I have yet to try Japanese restaurant in the Slip. Personally I would suggest that you avoid Nara like the plague. They used to be decent for cheap, but have since declined greatly in service and quality.

I thought Sumo San was awful, personally (any time a sushi joint is empty at 7:30 on a Saturday Night, I get scared). Akida's pretty good, and we've had a couple of recent meals from Sticky Rice To-Go-Go which were surprisingly good, far better than the main space across the street (in which I could never set foot again and be quite content).

As much as it pains me to say, though, I think the best in the area is Ichiban out in the Far West End.

Dana must have been reading my mind this week. BUCKHEAD's has been popping in and out of my memory of late. I recall one of my most pleasant Richmond dining-out evenings at the intimate and very chic steak house in Beverly Hills Shopping Center.

I love Dana's accompanying slideshows of late.

I've often wondered why really good steak houses always have creamed spinach on their menus.

Anyway, BUCKHEAD'S wins three and a half stars.

Tab for two: $176.

Read on, if you're a carnivore and enjoy a special evening out on the town (or county). :)

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...05-03-0029.html

I thought Sumo San was awful, personally (any time a sushi joint is empty at 7:30 on a Saturday Night, I get scared). Akida's pretty good, and we've had a couple of recent meals from Sticky Rice To-Go-Go which were surprisingly good, far better than the main space across the street (in which I could never set foot again and be quite content).

As much as it pains me to say, though, I think the best in the area is Ichiban out in the Far West End.

Did you actually eat at Sumo San? I have only been twice myself, but I think the service is what impressed me the most. I have never seen in very busy, though. Akida is my usual Sushi spot.