Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Thanks for posting the article Coupe! I usually see one or two people in there when I run by at like 6:30AM!! If I worked downtown I would definitely check it out.

LOUISIANA FLAIR - That's a new one on me.

If the story had listed a phone number I'd have called and gotten the exact address on Grace and its hours of operation, menu, etc.

The piece says it's on a corner across from the Newspaper -- wonder if that's 3rd or 4th and Grace?

Edited by burt

Our friend at Style Weekly, Deveron Timberlake, tells us about a new comfort food restaurant in the works for a forlorn area of North Boulevard. It will be called STRONG HILL DINING COMPANY at 1200 North Boulevard in a building that once housed Motor Europa. I envision it as being practically across the street from Buz and Ned's.

Cole Bucholtz who has had former ties with Sticky Rice, Starlite, Europa and The Border, will run the show for owners Jessika and Rob Weaver. The former car sales room is undergoing total conversion from the ground up to a roof-top patio.

Fuller LeVesque has signed on as chef.

Bucholtz says "We're going to have a twist on comfort food...we want to take you back to the lost art of the dining experience...no fast food mentality here, but rather a relaxed meat and potatoes kind of place that will fill a desperate need in the neighborhood."

And from whence cometh the name STRONG HILL? Surprise! That's what the revitalizing area was called before being dubbed Scott's Addition.

Bucholtz and the Weavers are on the cutting edge of major development in the area. As reported today, The Movietime cineplex is under way in the old locomotive building at Boulevard and Leigh, and there are high hopes for a new ballpark for the Richmond Braves as well as other sports related facilities at The Diamond acreage. Also condo craze is encroaching on Scotts Addition with several buildings already converted to residential.

Opening date has not been announced for STRONG HILL DINING COMPANY, but we'll keep you posted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWENTY SEVEN in the old furniture store at Adams and Broad has a new Brazilian chef named Carlos Silva. Deveron says "What Silva is doing with chorizo and seafood is earning unsolicited raves from diners..."

And good news! Jonbeattie tells us that a section of the parking lot on Grace behind RESTAURANT 27 has been reserved for customers and that a neon sign directs diners. The lot is now under management of City Parking.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig, reporting for the Times Dispatch, has found an oasis in the fast growing but rather bereft of restaurants area in northeast Metro Richmond. It is called simply PASTA HOUSE at 8196 Atlee Road in Mechanicsville, tel. 804/730-2929 and Dana gives it 3 stars. Check for two: $84.

Read on:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...asPN=%21weekend

img1286pw9.jpg

Texas De Brazil. Yep, so I went there last night with a group of five people. Like most chains of this caliber, comparable to Blue Point Fish Club and Maggiano's Little Italy, tons of energy is devoted to amusement parkesque flash and environment. It really showed at Texas De Brazil, but in a generally good way. The employees are very, very well-trained with their lines memorized and their protocols down to a slice. the property was highly decorated with flaming torches, and the interior was rather dim but equivalently elaborate.

As far as I could tell, the dining area was segregated into three separate rooms with the main room housing the 40+ item salad/soup bar. After being greeted and seated by an enthusiastic staff that puts the napkins in your laps and a cloth over your jacket that you set on the chair, we headed over to the "salad bar" where that enormous array of food awaited. It included foods such as imported olives, imported gorganzola, French goat cheese and many other cheeses, your typical lettuce and salad toppings, sun dried tomatoes, sushi, fish like salmon, a multitude housemade dressings and sauces, black bean soup, rice, potato salad, artichoke hearts, lobster bisque, marinated mushrooms, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, ...... and that's probably about 1/5 of the items there. The items were delicately prepared without having a mass-produced feel to them, despite a majority of the food having a quality that warranted more than just a sample taste. With brutal honesty in mind, the items on the salad bar ranged from incredibly bland (potato salad, sushi, black bean soup) to seductively delicious (salmon, some of the cheeses).

When we first arrived our reservations were at 5pm, so the clockwork gaunchos had yet to begin their rounds with meat skewers in hand. However, in the mean time you are served garlic seasoned mashed potatoes, "palate cleansers" (read: an early dessert of cinnamon cooked bananas), and these breaded cheeseballs. Cheeseballs were desirable to me, though others at the table disliked them, but I personally found the potatoes relatively impotent in flavorful in comparison to many of the more strongly flavored offerings.

When the meat service began in the restaurant, an employee explained us the concept of the red-green coin card that you're given; flip it to green to have every gauncho that walks past stop and politely offer you a cut or bit of their prepared meat (red averts this process). The fact that I'm colorblind led to many jokes and my card being left on green and red unknowingly. Fortunately this lead to me sampling almost every single meat they were offering- pork tenderloin, pork parmesan, barbeque pork, brazilian sausage, chicken parmesan, and a variety of beef cuts that I cannot recall the specific names at this moment in time. Thought I can't speak for the one I didn't try due to the fact my stomach began to react to the excess sodium and protein (filet mignon wrapped in bacon), I can honestly say that this is something close to a carnivore's wet dream. Each meat was delicately cooked, very strongly seasoned, and served to you by a gauncho who slides a piece onto your plate or request that you pick up your tongs as he's (they were all males) sawing it.

Though I had personally eaten enough of the cooked bananas to kill a diabetic, we decided to split two desserts amongst the table. The waitress brought a plate of unappetizing plastic models of their desserts and explained each one while interestingly directing our selections with her own personal recommendations and bias. We amongst the very typical and unBrazilian looking slections like cheesecake, creme brulee, carrot cake, etc., we opted for the Brazilian Papaya Cream, and triple layered Chocolate mouse cake. The cake arrived with a scoop of Haagen Daz (I think) and a factory-produced look whilst the Papaya cream had a more homemade presentation and taste to it. Ironically the former was the table favorite with its layers of milk chocolate and white chocolate.

The event wound down when the bill eventually arrived after the 1-1.5 hr experience (customers average a 1.5 hr stay at Texas De Brazil). Upon reading it, wallets burned, bank accounts closed, debit cards melted, babies cried, the stock market crashed, brokers commit seppuku, we paid the bill, and left. Rounded off, the full dinner is roughly $42, desserts are roughly, and drinks were $2.50 or so. Inexcusably, one of my friends was charged full price for his dinner when he only ate from the salad bar which alone is supposed to run about $30.

Immediately, one can notice that Texas De Brazil has an obviously successful formula going on here. Like most chain restaurants, the service was consistent, but at Texas De Brazil it was extravagantly beyond what one should ever expect from a food service establishment. The staff pampers the customers and will do anything short of tying your shoes for you and kissing your ass. Actually, I can honestly picturing them tying your shoes for you (and then cursing about it in the kitchen, haha).

Overall, it was a unique experience, but it was just that. Personally, it was definitively worth experiencing, but ultimately the price is far too high for me to ever return upon normal dining circumstances. The meat was mostly outstanding (brazilian sausage didn't postively stimulate my intestines), but the majority of the salad items were comparitively aesthetically pleasing, albiet relatively bland. But that's if you trust the opinion of someone who ate more bananas and salmon than meat. :shades:

Very amusing and comprehensive coverage of TEXAS DE BRAZIL, BP. Your group must have been all alone for most of the 1:15 time spent at the restaurant. I mean, not many go to dinner at 5PM. And drinks for $2.50??? At those prices, the bar must do a land office business.

Overall, it sounds, at least, like a one-time treat.

I think I am being taken there and to Dd33 on my upcoming visit at the end of the month.

And congratulations on surviving the Urban Planet censors. :lol:

Very amusing and comprehensive coverage of TEXAS DE BRAZIL, BP. Your group must have been all alone for most of the 1:15 time spent at the restaurant. I mean, not many go to dinner at 5PM. And drinks for $2.50??? At those prices, the bar must do a land office business.

Overall, it sounds, at least, like a one-time treat.

I think I am being taken there and to Dd33 on my upcoming visit at the end of the month.

And congratulations on surviving the Urban Planet censors. :lol:

Oh, wow. I should really consider spell checking and proofreading my posts! :dontknow:

If you're being treated to Texas De Brazil, then by all means jump on it! It's an outstandingly unique experience, but the excessive price blows any chance of me ever taking a date here or recommending it to friends when we dine out. The price seems excessive to me mainly because there is a competitor, non-chain at that, that supposedly offers a similar experience at a dinner price of 24.95. Ipanema Grill on Cox, I believe, next to the wild noodles is also a Churrascaria. Anyone reviewed it?

My friend and I ate at Mamma Zu tonight! It was great as usual- friendly service, fresh food, and delicious cuisine! Yes, I did say friendly service because I've never had a remotely negative experience at Mamma Zu despite its longstanding reputation of surly service. Also, my party of two was seated withing about 8 minutes of being at Mamma Zu on this Friday night! That's also certainly something worth noting.

The original plan was to order the cabbage ($6) to split between the two of us, but it just so happen to be the only thing crossed off of the chalkboard menu! Cripes! SO we settled for ordering the asparagus ($8.50) which arrived perfectly cooked in butter and topped with parmesan. It was great, but whether it was $8.50 great could be up for debate. For our entrees, my vegetarian friend settled for his tried and true penne gorganzola with peas ($8) whereas I decided to branch out and try something I'd never exprienced... ever. I asked the waitress, "Shad Roe.... what's that?" After hearing a detailed explanation that I spaced out in the middle of, the Shad Roe ($22) became my entree. My comrad's pasta arrived nearly two minutes before my entree which is never too desirable, but I really didn't care... especially once my entree arrived. At Mamma Zu, most meat entrees come with pasta w/ garlic and olive oil or marinara, but my shad roe arrived with a salad instead. A pleasant suprise that was very delicious as it differed in content from the typical salad of the Italian American restaurant. I gobbled it up ferociously before moving onto the most intruiging thing I've ever consumed at Mamma Zu, a sack of fish eggs in a creamy salty sauce topped with cheese. It was a relatively small portion.

Though the Shad Roe was my least favorite entree that I've ever consumed at Mamma Zu (and I've tried A LOT), it still represented the culinary capabilities of such a great Italian restaurant. I've always felt safe ordering ANYTHING from Mamma Zu because I've developed a sense of trust that everything I order will be perfectly seasoned and VERY flavorful. And my trust has never been broken. Though there have been some slight disapointments in my attempts to expand my gastronomical horizons at Mamma Zu, I always leave the Oregon Hill locale satisfied with my experience and buzzed from the spectacular rum-drenched tiramisu.

That is precisely why Mamma Zu, along with its unique environment, remains one of my top choices in Richmond dining. Also, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if my lacto-ovo vegetarian friend would have been able to sample my shad roe. I mean, it was EGGS not actual fish after all.... :lol:

It's shad roe time in Virginia! Enjoy it while you can, because it's available for only a short time. BP had his with a creamy sauce and cheese. That's the way Italians prepare it, but ol'timey Virginians wrap it in wax paper and fry it.

I'm surprised that MAMMA 'ZU had it on their menu. BP, your description made my mouth water.

Did you go to MAMMA 'ZU at your usual dining hour of 5PM? No wonder you only had to wait 8 minutes for a table. :lol:

Edited by burt

My friend and I ate at Mamma Zu tonight! It was great as usual- friendly service, fresh food, and delicious cuisine! Yes, I did say friendly service because I've never had a remotely negative experience at Mamma Zu despite its longstanding reputation of surly service.

It's my experience that people who think the service there is unfriendly are the same people who think all servers should aspire to be the butt-kissing waiter at the Friday's knockoff in Office Space. Those same people also seem to think that dinner for 2 at Mamma Zu is an automatic $50 tab.

I've never experienced anything but good service at any of Ed Vasaio's places.

Went to the New Cracker Barrell for my first time and it was lights out amazing. I enjoyed it alot and my dad ran into an old high school friend there which was pretty cool weird thing was that we just ran into them yesterday as well. I liked it alot I went to one near staples mill and mountain road last time but that was so many years ago. I look forward to go there again. Burt while your in Richmond since I hear your coming back.. you gotta go to Cracker Barrell its really good.

Went to the New Cracker Barrell for my first time and it was lights out amazing. I enjoyed it alot and my dad ran into an old high school friend there which was pretty cool weird thing was that we just ran into them yesterday as well. I liked it alot I went to one near staples mill and mountain road last time but that was so many years ago. I look forward to go there again. Burt while your in Richmond since I hear your coming back.. you gotta go to Cracker Barrell its really good.

Thanks, Joey. I'll give it a try, but it'll probably be lunch.

howdy all

mr and mrs bugsy went to 27 after seeing Zodiac (must see) without a reservation this past sat. night and was seated in the bar area at once. service was great, in spite of past news reports to the contrary. my caesar to start was only $5 and was large and well done. mrs bugsy had an asparagus and crab meat salad for $9 that was "terrific". she had the striped bass special with suburb haricots verts and mashed and she loved it also ($20). my main was beef paillard, which i don't ever recall having in a restaurant before covered completely with a pile of sweet potatoe fries....normal man has only one chance in 10 of finishing this dish $19 !!). good bistro fare ! only complaint was that the wine list was made up of poor representatives of their genre. ...good service, good food and plenty of it and nice place make this a place to return to. my first visit went well.

Good to hear your comments about TWENTY SEVEN, bugsy. We've had lots of nice words about the restaurant in these pages.

I was there last October and really enjoyed everything about it.

Style Weekly reported that they have hired on a new Brazilian chef named Carlos Silva who does good things with choriza and seafood.

We look forward to yours and mrs bugsy's next epicurian experience. :)

27 originally was getting mediocre reviews from Style, Richmond Mag, et cetera, was it not? According to Style Weekly last week, though, I believe they stated that they cleaned up their act with a new menu and higher standards. Need to visit.

Speaking of fried plantains, I went to Kuba Kuba last night at about 6:15 with a party of 8 with no reservations (gasp!). We were seated immediately!!! Due to a depressing shortage of cash that dining out four times in one week resulted in, my meal consisted of an entire order of Tostones (2.95) and the soup special, Creamy Potato and Ham (3.50). The tostones were awesome as usual, though the soup batch was a tad watery and light in ham. However, its fresh taste seriously almost had me licking the bowl clean. Other table favorites were the vegetarian Penne Pasta (10.95), black bean soup, empanadillas, and arroz con pollo (12.95). I depressingly watched all the other folk$ pleasurely enjoy their meal's conclusion with Kuban coffe, and the deliciously moist, hommade Tres Leche Cake.

I'm going to try out the relocated ZUPPA for lunch during my upcoming visit. It has moved across 18th Street to the former Jacqueomo's in Shockoe Bottom.

Nearby, at 15th and Main, there will be an official unveiling of The Slave Reconcilliation Monument on Friday, March 30th at 4PM. Lots of big names have been invited, including Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Bishop Tutu and Oprah Winfrey.

See Wrldcoupe4's entry in the thread Richmond Monuments/Museums/Historic District dated 3/6 at 5:31pm for complete details.

Edited by burt

I'm going to try out the relocated ZUPPA for lunch during my upcoming visit. It has moved across 18th Street to the former Jacqueomo's in Shockoe Bottom.

I ran in there for a quick lunch last Saturday. I never went to Jacqueomo's, but from the carpeting and furniture, I'm guessing the Zuppa folks didn't do much redecorating. Service was very slow and there was a lot of unfamiliarity with the menu, but that's to be expected with a new staff and expanded menu. The food was good as ever, though, so hopefully they'll hit their stride soon.

if you do go to the New Cracker Barrell for lunch, be prepared to wait for a long time during the weekends and during dinner time pretty much any other day. that place is packed. and i don't think anyone is a travelers, all locals...

that being said, the place is wonderful. 2 can dine for less than 20 bucks. the comfort food gives Comforts a run for the money. though the Cream Spinach is still my favorite at Comforts.

the comfort food gives Comforts a run for the money.

A stretch if ever there was one. Comfort at least uses reasonably fresh ingredients, compared to the gravy-in-a-tube and similar culinary atrocities Cracker Barrel commits daily.

Venture Richmond has announced the opening of a new River District restaurant. It is RELISH, at 101 South 15th Street (between BWW and STOOL PIGEONS). Tel. 804/648-2233. Open Mondays thru Saturdays from 11AM 'til 8PM.

Offerings for eat-in or take-out include sesame teriyaki, salmon, mini meatloaf, parmesan chicken and crab cakes.

Welcome, RELISH!

THE SOUTHERN RAILWAY DELI can't be far behind. :good:

Edited by burt

A stretch if ever there was one. Comfort at least uses reasonably fresh ingredients, compared to the gravy-in-a-tube and similar culinary atrocities Cracker Barrel commits daily.

i guess i did make it sound like cracker barrell was the same as comforts... woops...

I suppose what i was saying is that if you want to experience pretty good comfort style cusine, CB is not a bad place to go.