Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Dana Craig might sing 'comme ci, comme ca" over MIMI'S CAFE in West Broad Village, although a reader takes her to task which would suggest he'd rather hear her sing "It's Wonderful."

My almost lunch experience there was aborted when the tiny parking lot and nearby garage couldn't accommodate us.

MIMI'S CAFE

Dana's rating: Two and a half stars

804/364-9275

Sound Level: Average to High

Smoke Free

Tab for Two: $32

Here's Dana's review from today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-185608/285603/

Edited by burt

A new eating option will open soon in The Slip. Called URBAN FARMHOUSE MARKET & CAFE, it was written about in today's Richmond BizSense. Neither hours of operation nor opening date are mentioned in the story.

Here's the Richmond BizSense story with a highlighted website for the restaurant:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/08/14...o-shockoe-slip/

The address, 1217 East Cary, must be close to the corner of Cary and Shockoe Slip Plaza because BOUCHON is in the old Pomegranate space slightly west at 1209 East Cary.

Edited by burt

Anybody have any idea what's going on at the old Cabo's on Broad St.? It looks like a lot of constuction is going on inside.

JSI, elsewhere we have identified the old Cabo's as the site of a new restaurant called THE REPUBLIC scheduled for an October openiing. It's interesting to note in the posting above that Justin French who is spearheading renovations at THE REPUBLIC site is land lord of 1217 East Cary Street in The Slip and is partenering with Kathleen Robinson on her new venture, URBAN FARMHOUSE MARKET & CAFE.

JSI, elsewhere we have identified the old Cabo's as the site of a new restaurant called THE REPUBLIC scheduled for an October openiing. It's interesting to note in the posting above that Justin French who is spearheading renovations at THE REPUBLIC site is land lord of 1217 East Cary Street in The Slip and is partenering with Kathleen Robinson on her new venture, URBAN FARMHOUSE MARKET & CAFE.

Thanks Burt!

Here's the menu for THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETS LANDING:

Warning: pdf.

http://www.theboathouseatsundaypark.com/pd...ETTS%20menu.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chef shifts:

Roger Murphy who has spent 10 happy years as Executive chef at OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS is now in the kitchen of THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETS LANDING.

Replacing Murphy at OLD ORIGINAL BOOKBINDERS is the well known Richmond chef Matthew Tlusty.

Edited by burt

Hey guys, a cafe called 'cafe caturra' is coming to Norfolk and it's supposed to be based in Richmond, you all know anything about it?

http://www.cafecaturra.com/

Yes. I think there are three in Metro Richmond. The latest is in a district called "On The Avenues" near the intersection of Grove and Libby Avenues in an area we used to call Westhampton. Some of my relatives went to the Grove Avenue location of CAFE CATURRA and loved it. I believe they all have open fireplaces inside and patios for outdoor dining.

Edited by burt

Hey guys, a cafe called 'cafe caturra' is coming to Norfolk and it's supposed to be based in Richmond, you all know anything about it?

http://www.cafecaturra.com/

I'm a huge fan of Cafe Caturra. Great sandwiches, great coffee, and turns into a wine bar at night. My favorite part of their wine offerings it that you can buy a 1/4, 1/2, or full glass so that you can try a number of different wines.

The newest one is at Libby & Grove, right by the best tailor in Richmond, Vincent's. Has a nice outdoor patio with a fireplace that will likely prove quite popular this fall.

I'm a huge fan of Cafe Caturra. Great sandwiches, great coffee, and turns into a wine bar at night. My favorite part of their wine offerings it that you can buy a 1/4, 1/2, or full glass so that you can try a number of different wines.

The newest one is at Libby & Grove, right by the best tailor in Richmond, Vincent's. Has a nice outdoor patio with a fireplace that will likely prove quite popular this fall.

I could be wrong about the word, but think those small glasses of wine for sampling are called "flights". FLEMING'S STEAK HOUSE at Stony Point Fashion Park offers them.

I could be wrong about the word, but think those small glasses of wine for sampling are called "flights". FLEMING'S STEAK HOUSE at Stony Point Fashion Park offers them.

I'm sure you're right Burt. I've heard the term applied to beer sampling, but that is probably more reflective of the types of restaurants I tend to frequent. :)

STARBUCK's opens it second full-service shop in the downtown area today. This one, employing 8 workers, is at the eastern end of the hotel's lobby and across an aisle from the soon-to-open T. MILLER'S SPORTS BAR. The other full-service STARBUCK'S downtown is in The Richmoind Omni Hotel. Also, there are two in the mid-town VCU area.

Edited by burt

I'm sure you're right Burt. I've heard the term applied to beer sampling, but that is probably more reflective of the types of restaurants I tend to frequent. :)

The 1.5 sized glasses of wine are called Quartino's at the newly remodled LEMAIRE in The Jefferson Hotel.

Edited by burt

Thanks to Richmond dot com, we have info and menu for the brand new BALLICEAUX in the old Bogart's space.

First of all, it is pronounced "bali-so." It is open, has a liquor license and is ready to welcome you. If you diddle around with the webpage you'll be able to pull up the interesting menu offered by the new retaurant which is across from SI TAPAS on Lombardy Street between Hanover and Grove Avenues in The Fan.

http://events.richmond.com/richmond-va/ven...0034-balliceaux

Dinner is served in the back room while the front space is more lunch-oriented. Eventually, the plan is to offer music in the Back Room.

Edited by burt

Can't wait to hear your report on THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING Henry. If you run into Bill and Josee Covington, and Judy Arenstein tell them Burt sends love. They both have penthouses there -- Judy in Th Skyline and Bill/Josee in Fall Line.

ZOUNDS! We've surpassed 150,000 viewers on this site.

BoathouseSoonAtNight.jpg

The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing at night.

Edited by joanpone

BoathouseSoonAtNight.jpg

Many thanks, joanpone, for this photo of THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETS LANDING. It must have been taken after one of the "soft openings" because people can be seen on the upper floors.

Edited by burt

I ate at The Boathouse last Thursday night's open house. The place was packed and there was definitely an energetic vibe. The menu was vast ranging from sushi to brick oven pizza to seafood and steak choices. The food was good, but i don't think it is fair to judge the food quite yet. Give them time to work everything out. They staff definitely broke a lot of plates and glasses! The physical space is spectacular. Big room with vast windows and obviously some great views of the river and skyline. I also really liked that they had ouside decks to enjoy the views. I definitely see it being a destination place for special occasisons and out of town guest. It will also bring some much added life to Rocketts Landing. They have not started construction on the formal dining room which is on the level below. They will also have an outside space for weddings.

Last night I ate at Ballicaux. As Burt mentioned the menu is very interesting. Again the food was good, but this was there first night open so I won't judge them. The prices were actually reasonable, especially when you consider the physical space. If anybody remembers the old Bogarts, you won't believe the transformation. This has to be the coolest ambiance in any Richmond restaurant. You forget that you are in the Fan (not that the Fan is a bad thing) and feel that you are in a SOHO neighborhood. By the way, the place was packed!

Both are fantastic additions to the city's restaurant scene.

Thanks, Henry for the comprehensive coverage of THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETS LANDING as well as BALLICEAUX.

Speaking of Soho, have you ever tried a restaurant on Prince near Mulberry Street in NYCity called Savoy? If not, you might want to put it on your list. Ask for an upstairs table.

Joanpone (she posted the pic of Boathouse) and I sometimes lunch at Mary's Fish Camp on 4th at Charles Street in the West Village. Great lobster rolls and other seafare.

BoathouseSoonAtNight.jpg

Welcome to the forum! That's an awesome shot! I can't wait to try the place out for myself--if it's anything like their location at Sunday Park it should be just as incredible!

ZOUNDS! We've surpassed 150,000 viewers on this site.

Congrats, Burt! That's quite the milestone :fun:

Here is Melissa Ruggieri's complete Table Talk column from today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-185009/287037/

It includes information about all the restaurants we have recently discussed here (except the new EMILIO's in Town Center West adjacent to Short Pump Town Center.) But she has included websites which are very interesting. Note the one for T-MILLERS SPORTS BAR is long and one must scroll way down to find that it offers steaks and prime rib in addition to bar food.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig passes out 3 stars to BELLE VIE.

This new restaurant is in the space formerly occupied by the South Richmond version of Bookbinders.

I wonder who provides the musical scores that accompany her slideshows? I always enjoy them.

Dana writes: "From decor to service to thoughtful culinary accents, BELLE VIE's attention to detail is something to be celebrated."

BELLE VIE

Dana's rating: 3 stars

1244 Alverser Plaza

804/379-3338

http://www.bellevieva.com

Sound Level: Average

Smoke free

Tab for two: $71

Here's Dana's full review from today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-184808/287014/

Edited by burt

PIE update:

My sources tell me that work is going on behind the brown-paper-covered windows in the former Berry Burk at 6th and Grace.

Latest hope is that PIE, Mo Roman's newest venture, will open late fall or early winter -- possibly (and hopefully) in November. I'm told there will be a neat bar, and that while there will be other Italian offrings, emphasis will be on pizza.

PIE update:

My sources tell me that work is going on behind the brown-paper-covered windows in the former Berry Burk at 6th and Grace.

Latest hope is that PIE, Mo Roman's newest venture, will open late fall or early winter -- possibly (and hopefully) in November. I'm told there will be a neat bar, and that while there will be other Italian offrings, emphasis will be on pizza.

It's a shame that he is not opening at the same time as Center Stage. The emphasis is definitely on pizza.