Wish List for Spartanburg - 2013

roads-scholar

Development news has been a bit slow lately but I'm optimistic that we'll see more announcements in 2013.  Below is my wish list for Spartanburg:

1. Finally, an announcement for the Montgomery Building (carryover from my 2012 wish list).
  2. This one's a bit of a stretch but how about another cinema for the Eastside or Boiling Springs?
  3. This one's been forgotten about lately but what about a NEW city hall?
  4. 1-2 quality restaurants downtown.
  5. More shopping options for Boiling Springs (Target?, Publix?)
  6. Housing prices begin to rebound.
  7. This one's also a bit of a stretch but what about another downtown hotel?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Finally, an announcement for the Montgomery Building (carryover from my 2012 wish list). My Dad actually spoke with Junie White the other day at a luncheon and asked him about this. Junie was coy and said its too early to comment. Not a yes, but not a no either.
  2. This one's a bit of a stretch but how about another cinema for the Eastside or Boiling Springs? I guess developers have been scared recently, but I wondered why nothing new is up in the Springs with all those folks up there. I thought surely Publix or someone else would put a state of the art grocery up there but maybe Ingles is too much competition?
  3. This one's been forgotten about lately but what about a NEW city hall?- Well we did get a new YMCA so maybe city hall is next.
  4. 1-2 quality restaurants downtown.- Lets see if the new creole style Back Porch restaurant can survive in the old Spice of Life building first.
  5. More shopping options for Boiling Springs (Target?, Publix?)- see above
  6. Housing prices begin to rebound.- I think they have but over 300K homes are a harder sell
  7. This one's also a bit of a stretch but what about another downtown hotel?- Wow, where did that come from? It'd be nice, but where would you put it and what kind would it be?

1. Finally, an announcement for the Montgomery Building (carryover from my 2012 wish list). My Dad actually spoke with Junie White the other day at a luncheon and asked him about this. Junie was coy and said its too early to comment. Not a yes, but not a no either.
  2. This one's a bit of a stretch but how about another cinema for the Eastside or Boiling Springs? I guess developers have been scared recently, but I wondered why nothing new is up in the Springs with all those folks up there. I thought surely Publix or someone else would put a state of the art grocery up there but maybe Ingles is too much competition?
  3. This one's been forgotten about lately but what about a NEW city hall?- Well we did get a new YMCA so maybe city hall is next.
  4. 1-2 quality restaurants downtown.- Lets see if the new creole style Back Porch restaurant can survive in the old Spice of Life building first.
  5. More shopping options for Boiling Springs (Target?, Publix?)- see above
  6. Housing prices begin to rebound.- I think they have but over 300K homes are a harder sell
  7. This one's also a bit of a stretch but what about another downtown hotel?- Wow, where did that come from? It'd be nice, but where would you put it and what kind would it be?

answer to 7. Limited service hotel like a Holiday Inn Express or Hyatt Place. Something more affordable than the Marriott. Replace one of the dump motels at Pine and Main. Or across from Wofford at the old Days Inn location. Or the corner of St Johns and Church Street across from The George. We need another downtown hotel option.      

I also hope development picks up in 2013.  Here's my wishlist:

1. CH2M-Hill (or anyone, really) renovates and moves into Montgomery Building
2. Magnolia Lofts quickly fill up, and new urban apartment construction follows
3. SCC Downtown campus opens and adds needed foot traffic to East Main
4. The Main Street Challenge is a success, and all 3 businesses selected get off to strong starts
5. a significant trail/greenway project gets underway
6. The Northside Healthy Food Hub is completed (w/B-cycle station), and positive momentum continues on the Northside
7. The Hub City Co-op reaches its funding goals and makes steps toward opening (if not opening outright)
8. progress toward an East Main Street road diet (like West Main) and/or Daniel Morgan road diet
9. Schuyler Building redevelopment begins (as promised by new owners; almost forgot about this)
10. More annexations, and city population increases

While I don't think a hotel will happen in 2013, I do feel like it will happen sometime in the next 5 years or so.  I agree that a hotel like Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn (or Aloft?) on the fringes of DT is most likely, IMO.  Though, I'd love to see a 6-9 story hotel on Morgan Square (H-J parking lot area).  Maybe a Hilton?  One can dream. :thumbsup:

Archived