PROPOSED: Grant's Block

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old. Be patient, your rendering will come.

We are being very patient as you can see . A year has passed already and nobody has heard anything. With the passing of the Downcity Diner block, the area is starting to look like a bomb exploded. I'm trying to refrain from negativity, but it's very difficult when you dream of surface parking all over the place....It seems way too easy to convert.

We are being very patient as you can see . A year has passed already and nobody has heard anything. With the passing of the Downcity Diner block, the area is starting to look like a bomb exploded. I'm trying to refrain from negativity, but it's very difficult when you dream of surface parking all over the place....It seems way too easy to convert.

You say the area looks like "a bomb exploded". Funny I was just commenting to a friend that even with just surface parking, it's looks better then that last tragic brick wall. Be patient man, it's going to be ok...

Paolino does it all the time :P

Yeah but with him it's a family tradition passed down through the generations. When a Paolino boy turns 13 they throw him a Lot-Mitzvah welcoming him into adulthood with the destruction of a historical structure. It's very touching.

ahhahahahahahahah. lot mitzvah!

but seriously, paolino bought those lots years ago, when downtown land had little or no value. This site required the acquisition of 5 buildings, moving a large social services provider (Travelers Aid), remediating tons of absestos, etc. Also, as "unimproved" land becomes more valuable, the higher taxes should make the surface parking proforma less lucrative.

You say the area looks like "a bomb exploded". Funny I was just commenting to a friend that even with just surface parking, it's looks better then that last tragic brick wall. Be patient man, it's going to be ok...

It doesn't look better. I'm sorry to say that. It looks like an Iraq minefield. There is a certain uneasiness when walking by as if you were walking naked through NYC. Far from being impatient, I'm very concerned. Is there enough interest in this area to make this project a reality? And even if I'm being a negative nelly, what is the future of the CBD's retail and entertainment sector? After hearing the news of the karate schools move to Pawtucket because of high rents, I'm starting to qestion even more the feasibility of making Downcity a destination.....

Given that TPG has nixed their plans for Condos @ the Hilton, what does that say about the viability of the condo market in Providence?

Jerry -- remember what Providence was like 15-20 years ago? It has come a long way.... Once there are enough people living downtown, and possibly even a transit system that's reliable it will only get better. Downcity might be going a tad upscale with all the Westminster St condos and the ring of upscale towers popping up around it to add to the existing upscale populace existing at the Avalon and the Regency Plaza. It might end up being a moderate to high end shopping destination, though I'm not too sure how it will work out between street level and the mall.

I really would like to see some good transit infrastructure put in up there in Providence, it will only increase its viability (and chances of me moving back there after Utopia destroys my region).

ahhahahahahahahah. lot mitzvah!

but seriously, paolino bought those lots years ago, when downtown land had little or no value. This site required the acquisition of 5 buildings, moving a large social services provider (Travelers Aid), remediating tons of absestos, etc. Also, as "unimproved" land becomes more valuable, the higher taxes should make the surface parking proforma less lucrative.

If I'm not mistaken didn't Travelers Aid get put into a better situation then that of Grants Block.

After hearing the news of the karate schools move to Pawtucket because of high rents, I'm starting to qestion even more the feasibility of making Downcity a destination.....
You mention the Karate Building, this issue hit home with family members, a battle with cancer did in the school.

Archived