PROPOSED: Grant's Block

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two options. Tower or no tower.

Hey Ari,

Thanks for the info<tower>. I'm sure Cornish<tower>will do a very careful and deliberate<tower>estimation of our market forces before preceeding<tower>. We certainly<tower>wouldn't want them to bite off more than they could<tower>chew<tower>.

We'd<tower> be happy with anything at at all<tower>being built in that spot<tower>.

Enjoy the remainder of your<tower>weekend!

- Garris

:D

Hey Ari,

Thanks for the info<tower>. I'm sure Cornish<tower>will do a very careful and deliberate<tower>estimation of our market forces before preceeding<tower>. We certainly<tower>wouldn't want them to bite off more than they could<tower>chew<tower>.

We'd<tower> be happy with anything at at all<tower>being built in that spot<tower>.

Enjoy the remainder of your<tower>weekend!

- Garris

:D

Yes...a tower will provide a strong influence to moving the building, development, and activity more to the western side of Downcity...a tower would be a landmark achievement and be uniquely recognized in that section of the Downcity.

Art Deco/Gothic Revival? Sounds absolutely perfect for the area. I'm glad to see some more of that style coming into the city, I thought those days were pretty much past us. If it's anything like what I'm imagining, then it may become one of my favorites. Three cheers for Cornish Associates! I'm behind them 100% on this.

It seems that Apple is not happening in the mall (unless someone has some more recent info on it). I say Weybosset side of Grant's Block is the perfect place. Half a block from the RISD Design Center, they'd be stupid not to have a store there.

the existing grants block (or whats left of it) is really starting to come down now. i'd guess that in the last week 1/4 to 1/2 of the remaining structure has been torn down but the portion facing westminster is still untouched.

is it the garage portion that would be topped by residential or would the residential be above the retail "bookend" portions along westminster or weybosset?

• 2 weeks later...

Imai Keller Moore from Watertown, Mass.

Hmmm, I wonder how many hits their website will get in the next few hours. :lol:

Ah yes, I've been to their site before, they did some stuff for Mashpee Commons right?

the existing grants block (or whats left of it) is really starting to come down now. i'd guess that in the last week 1/4 to 1/2 of the remaining structure has been torn down but the portion facing westminster is still untouched.

is it the garage portion that would be topped by residential or would the residential be above the retail "bookend" portions along westminster or weybosset?

As I understood it, the residential will be above the garage...8 parking levels and 14 restidential for a total of 22 with an estimated height of 240 feet; although it could be as high as 270 feet if demand is estimated so that another 3 floor are added. We we told to expect an announcment within a month.

• 2 weeks later...

As you all know, the former Grants Block site is in the final stages of demolition. The program for the project is still being finalized, but we know for certain it will include the 549 car midblock garage as well as two liner buildings. We're moving ahead with the tower as of now, but that is subject to change.

We will likely use the Grants Block site for surface parking until January or February. We can't start construction until then and we hope to encourage holiday shopping with the 110+ spots we can accomodate on site. We will put down a sort of crushed asphalt that can literally be scooped up when we're ready for construction. The site will be concealed by promotional signage and some minimal landscaping. We will be releasing renderings of the project to the public in the next few weeks.

-Ari

The site will be concealed by promotional signage and some minimal landscaping.

I like that kind of attention to detail. The Westin site has good 'decoration' around the site. I wish GTECH, Waterplace, and the Holiday Inn were doing this better, hopefully OneTen will do this.

As you all know, the former Grants Block site is in the final stages of demolition. The program for the project is still being finalized, but we know for certain it will include the 549 car midblock garage as well as two liner buildings. We're moving ahead with the tower as of now, but that is subject to change.

We will likely use the Grants Block site for surface parking until January or February. We can't start construction until then and we hope to encourage holiday shopping with the 110+ spots we can accomodate on site. We will put down a sort of crushed asphalt that can literally be scooped up when we're ready for construction. The site will be concealed by promotional signage and some minimal landscaping. We will be releasing renderings of the project to the public in the next few weeks.

-Ari

Kudos for providing extra holiday parking for the holiday season (and for the 'Lion King' run at PPAC, to boot!). It's a nice touch, and I'm sure the merchants appreciate the gesture.

We will likely use the Grants Block site for surface parking until January or February. We can't start construction until then and we hope to encourage holiday shopping with the 110+ spots we can accomodate on site.

-Ari

Thanks for the update! And it sounds like the Paolino's have some competition :D Speaking of which, was that Joe Paolino's black Mercedes with RI plates "JP" I saw very early (5:45am) this morning in front of Paolino world headquarters ( 76 Dorrance )?

Archived