Alticor Hotel Construction Commencement

GRDadof3

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what is the scoop on the Riverfront Building? It says it will be done in December and I haven't seen any renderings. Does anybody know the scoop? What are they adding on? How many stories?

Joe

Both foundations aren't being dug and laid at the same time because an addition is being made to the Riverfront Building, which is situated on the same Campau Avenue parcel that will house the parking ramp. Work on the Riverfront should be finished in December, which means digging for the ramp's foundation can get started the following month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will the addition be the same height as the existing building? Will this be the new entrance? I hope they do something nice with it. The rest of the building is unremarkable, especially for riverfront property.

Joe

No stories.  Just addition.  They need to add an arm to keep frontage on the street.  In short, the new hotel will block their access - they are adding a wing to maintain that access.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving by the soon-to-be construction site and I noticed that they pulled all of the ornamentation off the Israel's building before demolition begins. Does anyone know who nabbed it? I hope it ends up being reused in another development downtown.

Joe

Agreed. People would need to use the skywalks just to make sure they didn't get blown away in the wash of helicopter blades. :)

Joe

And that was so difficult to figure out.  Makes a hell of a lot more sense.  I sure as hell would not have wanted to land a helicopter at the base, in the middle of buildings and a huge parking ramp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought it was going to be at the top of the tower, isn't it common sense?

"John, what do you think of the design? Look here I placed the helistop at near ground level so that people can jump out and not brake their legs!"

Your right Metro :) Watch any episode of Alias and you'll see a bunch of helistops on the top of the buildings in L.A. I'm sure they were just trying to take the cheap route with the new Marriott. Probably looked at the low-rise building with nothing on it and though "Hey! This is a cheap easy way to do it".

Joe

SUPES:

Thank you addressing this bit of "still-GR-after-all" with the tone that you did.  Do you see how our pervasive ultra-conservatism bleeds into the consciousness of others - even those that should know better?  OUCH!  The Caprile guys are from CHICAGO!!!  They should be familiar with the concept of HIGHRISE ROOFTOP HELISTOPS  to ISOLATE HELICOPTER SQUALLS AND NOISE away from street pedestrians.  Point-in-case is Los Angeles (maybe it would help to send a copy of INDEPENDENCE DAY to shake off their brush with "GR conservative think" so that they can see the scene where the First Lady is evacuated from LA by way of a proper helistop).  Ever since they proposed the helistop on top of the ballroom structure - ONLY FOUR STORIES FROM THE STREET - I have been doing this ---->  :blink: and saying to myself, "idiots, just put it on top of the tower like the rest of the thinking world".  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hotel helistop decision reversed

Friday, May 27, 2005

By Rick Wilson

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Reversing a decision it made earlier this spring, the Grand Rapids Planning Commission on Thursday approved a "helistop" atop the 24-story Marriott Hotel that Alticor Inc. plans to open downtown by fall 2007.

Rizzo,

I read that it was a maximum of 15 flights per month, with a cap of 2 on any one day. Either way it'll be cool to see helicopters landing on top of the Marriott. Maybe we can get a Zepplin landing pad like the Empire State Building. :)

Joe

good! They say they will have 2 flights out of the tower each day...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rizzo,

I read that it was a maximum of 15 flights per month, with a cap of 2 on any one day. Either way it'll be cool to see helicopters landing on top of the Marriott. Maybe we can get a Zepplin landing pad like the Empire State Building. :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, that's just what we need :P

Hindenburg_disaster.png

I see they have started to take bricks off of the first floor of Israels. Anyone know where they are going to be re-used (other than on a new shed in the Devos Compound) :lol: They would look great on a re-habbed home.

It will be a few months. The Amway is doing work on their underground kitchen next to this new building. At the same time, the Riverfront building has to finish their expansion (or the footings at least) before the new hotel can start.

I would guess that this will officially begin about the same time River House begins to go up - this Fall.

Archived