Neartown Photo Tour - Elizabeth

dubone

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping just means bringing an old thread to the top by posting. It isn't recommended to do it much because it gets annoying. But occasionally it is good to show new people old photo threads. (Especially mine :) ). Photo threads are a lot of work, glad you all liked it.

My dog and I have really enjoyed settling in to our new digs in Elizabeth. Days like yesterday and today are reasons to enjoy urban living at its finest- walks to Independence Park, dining al fresco while reading Creative Loafing. Makes me look forward to Daylight Savings Time.

Now, the question: what's the latest on the "Elizabeth Village" project, north of the Hawthorne Bridge- site of old Party Reflections? I've watched over the last month as houses have been taken down brick by brick, even witnessed one house being moved about an hour ago (I had to chuckle at cars slamming on brakes when they saw a - gasp- house in the middle of the road.

According to the CharMeck Real Estate Lookup Elizabeth Land Co., LLC and Donald W. Powers own the almost two block chunk of land between Lamar St. and Hawthorne Lane, bounded by Independence Blvd. on the south and almost as far as Central Ave. It appears that the property extends several lots north of Sunnyside, but not all the way to Central.

Anyway, I've heard several things about the property, and would love some clarification, as I've not been able to find anything online. First, I heard that the property was being developed by Conformity Corp. I believe they developed the Elizabeth Village townhouses just south of Independence on Hawthorne Lane. I've also read on this message board about the possibility it would be multi-storied, but have heard no talk about that in the neighborhood. I've also been told it will be a mixed-use development, but know nothing further about that. Since I'm regularly seeing activity there I'm assuming construction could be imminent, but am quite curious about what exactly will be constructed. After reading much debate about the condo-mania happening uptown, I wonder what will happen to Elizabeth?

And while I'm at it, where exactly is that Whole Foods going to be? And when? Is it by chance on the site of the recently demolished medical building on Hawthorne? (Someone needs to take a photo of the city skyline there; the view is terrific)

Any scoop on what's happening in Elizabeth would be much appreciated.

Well, you've come to the right site, just the wrong thread :). I'll leave your post here so you'll be able to find it and the answer.

Here is the thread that you can find some additional information on the Conformity project just north of Hawthorne Bridge. You'll probably find it referred to in earlier posts in that thread as "Party Reflections site" or something like that, as that was the business that operated there before the demolition.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10211

As for the Whole Foods, which I'll just answer you that it is going to the block bound by Hawthorne, Elizabeth, 4th, where the BK and the BP are/were. You can read more about that and other related projects. You will find info on the Medical Building, as well as photos of the skyline from that site, etc.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3500

Pretty much, dogmother, you've hit the motherload. :)

Thanks, dubone.

I did finally find the correct thread, but only after I'd posted to this one.. so many threads, so little time... At any rate, I did check out the Conformity Corp renderings on the other thread. According to atlrvr, who seems to know perhaps a bit more about the project than most others(?), the renderings were outdated. I wonder if atlrvr- or anyone else- has more recent info on the size, scope , timeframe of the project?

And, dubone, I think Whole Foods will be the real "motherload," having lived in Winston-Salem sandwiched between Whole Foods and Harris Teeter I can vouch for it. Really made for good grocerying- not to mention great people-watching.

Archived