Forbes Ratings of Raleigh & Charlotte

Mike1

Do you agree with Forbes that Raleigh should rank #2 and Charlotte #42?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Forbes that Raleigh should rank #2 and Charlotte #42?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee, if the powers that be in Raleigh would actually give UNCC some money, maybe that would change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does that affect the private schools? Duke is one of the top universities in the country. I know Charlotte has Davidson, but it doesn't even come close. These days, public universities rely largely on private donations. With such a huge financial industry and the 2nd largest energy company in the country, why are they not giving more? There is simply less dedication to secondary education than there is to city growth and development. If given the choice, how many of Charlotte's leaders would choose to send their kid to UNCC over Duke? I admit to living here only for a short time. However, in that time I've seen the city fall over backward for J&W yet barely acknowledge UNCC or QU. Why is that? It seems the natural thing to do here is to blame the state for what are essentially the city's shortcomings. Why should the state support UNCC if Charlotte won't? That was the point I was trying to make....

How does that affect the private schools? Duke is one of the top universities in the country. I know Charlotte has Davidson, but it doesn't even come close.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not exactly fair.....according to US News & WR Duke is the #5 University in the nation while Davidson is the #7 Liberal Arts College in the nation......the fact that they aren't comparable is really based on their program offerings as opposed to quality of education.

To some extent you are right about their not being a tremendous amount of local giving, though look at the names of the two business schools. UNCC has Belk, and Queens has McColl.....so the big players are certainly stepping up. The large companies do donate as well, but remember, a lot of fundraising comes from alumni and research grants from the federal government or private industry. UNCC actually receives a decent sum of research grants, but are limited until they are a full research intensive university, in which the state really is liable for. It's a Catch-22.

....However, in that time I've seen the city fall over backward for J&W yet barely acknowledge UNCC or QU. Why is that? ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Queen's Business School is named after the very well known Hugh McColl who was responsible for BofA's rise to #2 in the country from a midsized regional bank. He was a big benefactor of the University.

UNCC is predicted to become the largest public university in the state. It offers a very very good education at bargain rates. I don't think it is in competition with Duke as they cater to completely different students. An architectural or engineering student is not going to choose Duke over UNCC for example. But if you want an MBA or a medical career, then Duke is the best in the state.

OK...that's it.  Raleigh's been destroying Charlotte for years now(as have other places like Portland, Austin, and Seattle)..Get over it.  I moved here from very far away, as this place has more of the intangibles you feel when you're in a creative larger area.  You can't manufacture a cool or interesting place, it just has to be there.  And another thing, Austin and DC are Raleigh's competitors (don't start with a Boise, ID crack to emphasize your point).  We're roughly the same size as you, and outpacing you so quit acting like you're "the big city"--it's pathetic. They (DC, Austin, and Atlanta) are also on that list, so here are some things you might want to consider before you post:

The Triangle DOMINATES Charlotte in the following:

Music scene (Chapel Hill and the Triangle lead the Southeast..ask anyone)

Culture (Durham has the best documentary and dance festivals in the country)

Higher Ed. worth anything (Duke, UNC, State--enough said)

These are all things that drive people to move to a place, which by the way, the Triangle is doing better than any place in NC.  Read Richard Florida's book on the creative class, and actually research it.  You can't erect tall buildings (and there aren't many in Charlotte to begin with) and just call it a city..it doesn't work that way.  For the record, the Triangle "feels" like a bigger area than Charlotte...polish, traffic, vibe, etc.

I try to respect the Charlotteans, but if it's like that let the border skirmish begin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think you misunderstood my original post... the point was not that, Charlotte has tall buildings (only a few) and is therefore better than R-A-L-E-I-G-H (my apologies to the spelling Nazi). The point of the post was actually to raise the question about career potential in Raleigh - I didn't mean to bring out all the insecurities you have about the position of Raliegh on a national scale... Yes, Raliegh has plenty of job opportunities, its a cheap place to live, and it has a music scene (I asked anyone and everyone and they said Chapel Hill dominates the SE - sweet Franz Ferdinand played at Cat's Cradle this year!), it has culture (kick butt documentary and dance festivals - hooray, a city built on dance and documentary productions!!!), and it has higher education (although the lesser of the schools is the only one acutally in Raleigh - State). And, Durham and Chapel Hill aren't in Raleigh proper - just the MSA - that's like me saying that Charlotte has the world's best second-hand yardsale culture in the nation because you can buy some really kickbutt stuff at Gaston County trailer parks.

And, DC a competitor with Raleigh - what are you smoking? I'm sure that I, or anyone else (that's right... ask anyone), who lives in DC and has visited Raleigh will tell you there's absolutely no comparison. Thanks, enjoy life in Raleigh... 2nd best.. only to Boise, ID!!!

And, DC a competitor with Raleigh - what are you smoking?  I'm sure that I, or anyone else (that's right... ask anyone), who lives in DC and has visited Raleigh will tell you there's absolutely no comparison.  Thanks, enjoy life in Raleigh... 2nd best.. only to Boise, ID!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lived in DC for 14 years and moved down to Raleigh last september. First of I would like to say that I quite frankly believe that there is more job opportunities in Raleigh than there are in Dc. The prices of things in DC are outrageous. A home that would cost 150k down here would cost 400k up there. I mean if you want to live in a small house with a family thats cool... Another thing is that there is so much crime in The Dc-Baltimore area. It isn't the murder capitol of the country for nothing. Thats absolutely bull crap about Raleigh not having as many career building oppurtunities. You get out of something what you put into it. You get out of a career what you put into it. So i dont believe in comparing Career building oppurtunities. People aren't as inclined to move up to dc anymore because of many of the things i stated above. Many people are moving to North Carolina from Dc because of what kind of lifestyle/ carrer the can have. Not to slash on DC in one bit because it is my Home town and i think it is a great place, but with the good there is also the bad, same thing for Raleigh.

Read Richard Florida's book on the creative class, and actually research it. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quoting Florida for the sake of quoting Florida is getting tiresome. I've drudged through ROCC and Joel Kotkin's "The New Geography" (which predates Florida with many of the same points yet never receives credit) and will say that they are fascinating in the academic sense, yet don't play out in reality, especially during economic downturns.

If you want to have a fun example, look at the employment numbers for Florida's top 5 competitive cities, and compare them to places like Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, and Denver (cities that have historical strong growth, but don't get to sit at the cool kids table)......see something interesting? The creative class needs to eat to, and are somewhat of a transient class......look at homeownership rates in the creative cities. Look at rates of giving to the arts. What would be great is to see what the average amount of time a retail business survives in cities.

As Florida points out, this "Creative Class" is Bohemian in many regards, and with this includes drifting. These cities often fail have long term direction because the residents often have little attachement to the place, but instead have attachement to a lifestyle.

Raleigh is where one goes to college. Charlotte is where one moves to when their done. Forget rankings! The numbers clearly show Charlotte and the region are adding more people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From a black person point of view, it's kinda true with the black college students, but not only with Raleigh, but the rest of the state. Charlotte's black students tend to scatter all over NC's Historical Black Colleges and Universities. I.E. Charlotteans are about half the of the enrollment of WSSU, a large percentage of A&T and NCCU. I'm sure Shaw has a large Charlotte enrollment too.

Too bad Charlotte isn't set up like Atlanta, with the majority of Georgia's HBCUs all locating in Atlanta within the same area.

Yeah, there are colleges here in the Triangle...but without question this is a great relocation place even having said that. Many kids who went to college in the area fell in love with the place and went in to the career world here (I know some former Charlotteans who fit this mold). Transplants like myself found a career here and were intrigued by this wonderful place. The Triangle will always be at an advantage with companies relocating here due to the proximity to heavy duty research institutions, the innovation they provide, and the labor pool is naturally pretty good.

Let me say this about Charlotte, though. You have a wonderful city there, and I really like what you all are doing. It's wonderful that you're proud of that town, and good things lie ahead for you. I think if we're all honest...it's better that we both are proud of these places. The region is much better for it. I think I would rather have the prosperity in a number of areas than just one, like an Atlanta. The state of NC is better for it I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

From a black person point of view, it's kinda true with the black college students, but not only with Raleigh, but the rest of the state. Charlotte's black students tend to scatter all over NC's Historical Black Colleges and Universities. I.E. Charlotteans are about half the of the enrollment of WSSU, a large percentage of A&T and NCCU.  I'm sure Shaw has a large Charlotte enrollment too.

Too bad Charlotte isn't set up like Atlanta, with the majority of Georgia's HBCUs all locating in Atlanta within the same area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I definitely agree with you. I'm from Charlotte and I just finished my freshman year @ Morehouse College in Atlanta. The reason WHY I decided to go there was b/cuz ALL of friends were headin' to NCCU, A&T, & Winston! I didn't wanna re-live high school...LoL! But yeah, Charlotteans do count for a very large percentage of the populations @ these three schools.

From a black person point of view, it's kinda true with the black college students, but not only with Raleigh, but the rest of the state. Charlotte's black students tend to scatter all over NC's Historical Black Colleges and Universities. I.E. Charlotteans are about half the of the enrollment of WSSU, a large percentage of A&T and NCCU.  I'm sure Shaw has a large Charlotte enrollment too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you on that....it makes North Carolina a more interesting place to live/visit. Georgia...on the otherhand....is just stuck in some kinda backwoods time-warp! Atlanta pretty much dominates the state in having EVERYTHING....so I guess that leaves other places in the state no opportunity to really gain any credibility.

IMO opinion Charlotte is very underrated at these HBCUs, when people ask each other where they are from, I'm would say Charlotte, and other people from other parts of the state would be, oh Charlotte, how is it like over there, people are usually clueless about Charlotte if they are from Eastern North Carolina, Goldsboro-Kinston-Greenville area. Then one of my friend from Raleigh was, "URGH Charlotte, Raleigh is better, our schools are safer..." things like that. Then other ususal comments would be like, "Damn! Charlotte, how many Charlotte people that goes here? Y'all make up about half the damn school" People from Western North Carolina tend to support Charlotte better than Eastern North Carolina.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Raleigh left a bitter taste in someones mouth. As for the comment about Raleigh not having nightlife, that couldnt be further from the truth. There is a lot of night life. The warehouse district, glenwood south, the powerhouse district, city market, and hillsborough st., all have lots of bars and clubs.

This is one of those "Through the eyes of the beholder topics" I was talkin with a new friend of mine who moved to raleigh from charlotte after growing up there. We are both college age and he definetly thinks the nightlife in Raleigh and the surrounding area is a lot better than Charlotte. Strangely he isn't the only one I've heard that from. It's all about the atmosphere I guess. Neither City is boring.

Archived