Fincastle, Botetourt County

Jerseyman4

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=3265194&nav=S6aKZ8pi

Citizens will now get a chance to weigh in on a controversial land proposal in Botetourt County.

Tuesday the supervisor decided they'll hold a public meeting will so the community can voice their opinions on the proposal which would expand Fincastle from 151 acres to more than 16-hundred. Town officials say it would help develop Fincastle as a business center and serve as a base for citizens. Meanwhile some county residents say it will affect their livelihood, way of life and property values.

A public hearing will be held on Tuesday, May 17th at 7:00 p.m. at Central Academy. County Administrator Jerry Burgess says it is likely the matter will be decided that night.

----

I wonder if this means if Fincastle will try to eventually become an independant city? From the WDBJ map, it seems like it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this means if Fincastle will try to eventually become an independant city? From the WDBJ map, it seems like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not likely. Fincastle's population would likely double with the proposed annexation, but the current population of the affected area would still be less than 5,000 people. That's really not enough people to make a go of an independent city.

The Fincastle map shows that the biggest proposed growth for the town will occour south of town along US 220 towards Roanoke, where any number of new housing developments are rising in former orchards and hayfields. They are attempting to use a strategy sucessfully executed by other Virginia towns like Christiansburg, in Montgomery County.

In the '80s, developement in Montgomery County began to increase along the US 460 corridor towards Virginia Tech. Christiansburg, looking to grow its tax base, began to make plans to annex most of the area between its northern border and Blacksburg. By the time the New River Valley Mall opened in 1988, Christiansburg had tripled its land mass with the largest amount of that growth on the tax-producing new development area which included the mall.

Though Christiansburg grew substantially, it never became an independent city. It did grab the lion's share of the commerical tax revenue. I think Fincastle is banking on the continued growth of the corridor and the taxes to sustain it, but isn't really trying to become a city. More like a well-endowed town with plenty of tax revenue.

A county resident threatened to kill someone on the town council that was supporting this idea, thats how bad it is, lol. They have groups formed to keep the town from expanding, etc. Its a pretty heated thing for the town.

A county resident threatened to kill someone on the town council that was supporting this idea, thats how bad it is, lol. They have groups formed to keep the town from expanding, etc. Its a pretty heated thing for the town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously? :o That's just ridiculous.

The only thing that people in Botetourt would lose is some additonal property taxes by becoming a part of Fincastle. Like I said, there's little chance of the town becoming a city anytime soon and the rural character of that area is already being buried under strip malls and McMansions.

I've said it before: I HATE NIMBYs :angry:

Where is this county at? Is it near Roanoke? I grew up in Norfolk and never heard of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember driving through Botetourt County once on my way to Va Tech. The reason I remember because I thought "how do you pronounce that?"

Isn't there a sign saying "Botetourt County, Virginia's Technology something or other" when you drive in via I-81? We tried to figure out where that designation came from, whether there's actually technology parks/incubators or whatever, or if there's a cow that makes gold milk or something.

It's pronounced "BOT-a-tot"

The Virginia's Technology Corridor signs were erected a few years ago as part of a state and regional level initiative to encourage high-tech businesses to locate along the I-81/US 220 corridor. So far, they haven't been attracting too many of those types of businesses.

The Virginia's Technology Corridor signs were erected a few years ago as part of a state and regional level initiative to encourage high-tech businesses to locate along the I-81/US 220 corridor.  So far, they haven't been attracting too many of those types of businesses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the "technology corridor" is the 21st century "certified business location"

• 8 months later...

It's pronounced "BOT-a-tot"

The Virginia's Technology Corridor signs were erected a few years ago as part of a state and regional level initiative to encourage high-tech businesses to locate along the I-81/US 220 corridor. So far, they haven't been attracting too many of those types of businesses.

You say Pow-hite

I say Po-white

You say BOT-a-tot

I say BO-ti-tort

Let's call the whole thing off...

There was a Fincastle County in western Va at one point.

Archived