Which southern metro will reach 1 million first?

krazeeboi

Which one of these southeastern metros will reach one million inhabitants the fastest?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these southeastern metros will reach one million inhabitants the fastest?

• Augusta-Richmond County, GA
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Charleston-North Charleston, SC
    • Columbia, SC
    • El Paso, TX
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Lexington-Fayette County, KY
    • Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR
    • Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice, FL

Awesome pics, krazee! Cosmo, you don't like Savannah's bridge or something? Well, I think you'd agree from the pictures, Charleston's bridge is by far grander and more beautiful...

don't forget, it also has its notoriety: it is the largest cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it was built an entire year ahead of schedule. Way to go SCDOT!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys but Charleston MSA would have to grow at a rate of 5% per year to get to 1 million by 2020. A rate of increase that Charleston just isn't even close to.

In the past 3 years, the MSA only gained 20k people. It will get there, just much longer than 2020.

Awesome pics, krazee! Cosmo, you don't like Savannah's bridge or something? Well, I think you'd agree from the pictures, Charleston's bridge is by far grander and more beautiful...

don't forget, it also has its notoriety: it is the largest cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have nothing against it, it's just that i asked your guys opinions cause i haven't been on it yet.

Neither have I, but I have seen it in person, and the sight is simply spectacular!

Viper, I agree, even if Dorchester County is added to the MSA, it would still take the MSA longer than 2020 to hit the 1 million mark. But it's on its way, I can tell you that.

Sorry guys but Charleston MSA would have to grow at a rate of 5% per year to get to 1 million by 2020.  A rate of increase that Charleston just isn't even close to.

In the past 3 years, the MSA only gained 20k people.  It will get there, just much longer than 2020.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just read in the Charleston Business Journal that the percentage of growth of the Charleston metro area as of last year was 2.5-3.0%. Granted, that's not 5%, but it does not take into account this year's growth which has been booming according to the paper and people I know down there. And estimates have the metro area reaching up to 590K within the next 2 years.

Neither have I, but I have seen it in person, and the sight is simply spectacular!

Viper, I agree, even if Dorchester County is added to the MSA, it would still take the MSA longer than 2020 to hit the 1 million mark. But it's on its way, I can tell you that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Dorchester County is in the MSA. The county that will possibly be added to the MSA is Colleton County, Walterboro is the county seat. But that county would not be a significant addition.

Having looked at the numbers and trends... I dont see how it would be possible for Charleston to reach 1 million by 2020. It would take an INCREDIBLE boom for a prolonged period of time to reach that. Realistically, you're probably looking at about 2030 before it hits 1 million.

Actually, Dorchester County is in the MSA. The county that will possibly be added to the MSA is Colleton County, Walterboro is the county seat. But that county would not be a significant addition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I actually meant Colleton County (county seat being Walterboro). And it wouldn't be a significant addition, but hey, every little bit helps. ;)

Who knows what Charleston could get (businesswise or etc.) that could make it's population boost to 1million well before 2020 or 30. It's already a nationally (and may I say internationally) known and recognized city. No one knows what can happen 15 to 25 years from now. There were many cities that were in the same boat 20 years ago, but look at them now.

Who knows what Charleston could get (businesswise or etc.) that could make it's population boost to 1million well before 2020 or 30. It's already a nationally (and may I say internationally) known and recognized city. No one knows what can happen 15 to 25 years from now. There were many cities that were in the same boat 20 years ago, but look at them now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments exactly. Many boomtowns started with the kind of development currently being done in my hometown. Jacksonville, Raleigh, and Birmingham are good examples of this. The current growth in Charleston is only the beginning, IMO. The opening of the new Cooper River Bridge was basically the gasoline to the fire that will transform the city dramatically.

The city currently has 2 major developments being initiated that will bring literally thousands more residents. The Noisette project, in the north side of the city, is a 3,000 acre urban renewal project which is estimated to bring 10,000-20,000 people. The other project known as Magnolia, located closer to DT in an area known as the Neck, is the first of other urban renewal projects when combined will build approximately 12,000 new homes...and this is within the city limits!! Combined with this will be high rises of apartments, condos, and offices with an open-air shopping center where the new bridge begins.

Many more residential neighborhoods and in-fill projects are slated to be built within the next 2-3 years. Couple that with surburban cities such as Summerville and Mt. Pleasant growing rapidly, and you've got the potential to break 1 million in the near future.

^ Charleston has always been a major player in medical technology. The Medical University of South Carolina has several projects being built, from a new hospital tower to a new disease research center, they are bringing in bio-tech jobs which are exceptional. Manufacturing and engineering jobs are also being added to the work force. Vought/Alenia is building a $600 million dollar plant to build fuselages for the new Airbus. The metro area is planning on creating an aeronautical industry cluster, and several other companies are in discussions to build future plants or relocating their HQ altogether. New fire engines will be built in the new American LaFrance plant. Other companies involved with real estate, manufacturing, technology, and shipping are in talks with relocating to Charleston as well.

I voted for Little Rock..just because it seems to be growing at a fast pace...

I think Charleston wil hit 1 million very soon

And Baton Rouge has been growing quickly just because the port is getting more important(in terms of international tonnage) and more people are moving to BR just because of that

Just glanced at this. The first thing that caught my attention was that you have El Paso on the list. If you count the entire metropolitan area it is well over a million. It would say that you are talking 2 million people. Now most of them may not be US citizens and may live on the other side of the border, but they add to the buying power, diversity, and importance of the city. I'm also not certain that I would count El Paso as Southern. It does have a university that is a member of C-USA though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After Katrina, Baton Rouge's metro could possibly get very close to, or over one million. Some population projections have Baton Rouge's metro population getting up to 800K-1 million by 2010, but it all comes down to how quickly New Orleans is able to revover, and how much of the population is able to return to the city. The N.O. metro area is already back up to nearly 1.2 million people, down from 1.3 million pre-Katrina.

• 3 weeks later...

67 Baton Rouge, LA 728731

68 El Paso, TX 713126

71 Columbia, SC 679456

77 Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice, FL 651862

79 Knoxville, TN 647170

80 Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR 636636

84 Charleston-North Charleston, SC 583434

93 Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC 515314

109 Lexington-Fayette, KY 424661

Knoxville? larger than Nashville?

Archived