JCPenney closing at Cumberland Mall

GeorgiaRoadGuy

Actually cosmoboy - one of the places I was reffering to was Alfredo's - well worth the visit.  It's the closest Atlanta has to an old school Italian restaurant - a kind of place you can imagine Frank Sinatra visiting.  Most of the waiters are as old as salt, many of them still with Italian accents & the place inside doesn't look like it has been remodeled in many decades.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh Alfredo's...I have eaten there with my family several times when we were in the area.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been a couple of pages about the area around Cumberland Mall but here is some interesting news about Cumberland Mall and especially the Galleria Mall Complex.

Developers are apparently bullish on the Cumberland Mall/Galleria area.

After all that has been said on this thread, I found this article exciting because I had said that this area is in a great position to really take off. The infrastructure is there, the roads are top notch. It's miles from Buckhead and Vinings. Well with the right mixture of "smart" development, this area culd become an even denser satellite city.

Full story here:

New plans for the Galleria

image_1760528.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to butt in ( :P ) but does anybody know when the Greenbriar Mall area declined so bad? When was it ever a good enough area that they invested in a mall with Rich's and Penney's as anchors? I've seen the place and it near scared me half to death. For one, how does the mall survive with so much ghetto around it? It seems that instead of Greenbriar being boarded up, it looks like Shannon is the one only a few years away from having a date with plywood. Oddly enough, Shannon was thought to hurt Greenbriar when it opened in 1980.

Also, for those arguing about Cobb County and ghetto. Cobb County isn't necessarily ghetto YET, but it is only 10 years away from being totally ghetto along a boundary defined by Powder Springs Road via Roswell Road for sure. To say the least, the ghetto areas are still spotty and the attempts at gentrification in the area are what keep it from going totally ghetto. It's going in the direction of South Dekalb in South Cobb, but it seemed to take 30 years longer than it did there. White flight is definitely in full succession in the area. I live in N GA and met two people already that moved up from Mableton and Smyrna for the obvious reasons.

^ You're not talking about Shady Valley are you? That neighborhood is really nice - not my taste...

Now - 1 1/2 miles from Lenox Mall at 85 where Cheshire Bridge Rd starts, that is the beginning of Buford Hwy & there is an apartment complex that caters to lower income people. But what is considered 'ghetto' is very relative, as poor as many of the people along Buford Hwy are - I wouldn't consider that area to be squallor, in fact only a few remaining areas in Atlanta, mostly on the west side of downtown, would I consider 'ghetto'.

It's an opinion, but I don't always equate poor people = ghetto, not saying you are - but just putting in my two cents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 year later...

Anyone been to the new and improved Cumberland Mall and have an opinion on it? I wonder how the Cheesecake Factory, Maggiannos, Ted's, and Stoney River are doing? In my opinion, they did a very classy job with the interior of the mall - not overly upscale but not stark either. Just wondering if any of you had the chance to visit and what you thought.

I work for Marriott and I know our Courtyard property across the street has sold a lot more mall packages this year presumably as a result of being able to confidently market the mall.

Anyone been to the new and improved Cumberland Mall and have an opinion on it? I wonder how the Cheesecake Factory, Maggiannos, Ted's, and Stoney River are doing? In my opinion, they did a very classy job with the interior of the mall - not overly upscale but not stark either. Just wondering if any of you had the chance to visit and what you thought.

I work for Marriott and I know our Courtyard property across the street has sold a lot more mall packages this year presumably as a result of being able to confidently market the mall.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just have to say that Cumberland Mall continues to improve with the addition of White House/Black Market, Forever 21, and a new concept DSW shoe store that looks great. The mall demographics have evened out quite a bit, and the restaurants (save for Teds) seem to be consistently doing well.

Also, I can definitely attest to the success of the Costco store at Cumberland. It is PACKED! I have no idea why they couldn't figure out a way to attach the Costco to the mall to drive more foot traffic into Cumberland. That was a mistake.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just have to say that Cumberland Mall continues to improve with the addition of White House/Black Market, Forever 21, and a new concept DSW shoe store that looks great. The mall demographics have evened out quite a bit, and the restaurants (save for Teds) seem to be consistently doing well.

Also, I can definitely attest to the success of the Costco store at Cumberland. It is PACKED! I have no idea why they couldn't figure out a way to attach the Costco to the mall to drive more foot traffic into Cumberland. That was a mistake.

Bah... I mean Downtown/Midtown. Costco Cumberland will still be a quicker/easier trip for me from Midtown than Town Brookhaven, particularly if it's buried in the back/middle of the development where it'll be far less accessible. Ideally, I'd like something like the Vancouver downtown CostCo that I've mentioned here before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived