Talk about Urban Sprawl....Thanks Cabarrus County

jb4563

(that siteplan, by the way, is for the older project rather than the future one in concord). i believe there is a second connection out through what is labeled "future development", which will connect it to a series of existing neighborhood streets that connect to a separate thoroughfare. The main entrance connects to Park Rd, but the second outlet connects to gleneagles.

Hopefully the christenbury farm project in cabarrus, which appears to be much larger in scale, will further apply the model of multiple outlets, no culdesac, and fairly straight/perpendicular street network.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urban sprawl is going to happen whether we like it or not. Since it will happen I'd much rather see this type of development than what it could be. It could be a bunch of cookie cutter houses that cost the developer $10k to make with culdesacs at every turn.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"But it seems inevitable... people in Cabarrus County support low density development."

Yes, we do, and that is the reason I moved my family to Concord. Some people want yards of their own to have their children play in. Some people want a piece of land that is theirs, but still be in a community. Some people don't like living on top of one another like bees.

I've owned a house before on about .15 acres of land, and I've been able to hear my neighbors having a verbal argument in the house beside us about 10 feet away. I've smelled the dog crap in THEIR yard. I've had a yard that was so small, if I were to fence it in it'd be about 20 x 20. To me, that is not enough, and I and the rest of the people that want to live out OUR dreams of having a yard for our kids to play in and not having to deal with urban crowding are willing to put up with traffic going into and out of Charlotte to do so.

In fact, the ONLY time I go into Charlotte is to attend Panthers or Bobcats games. That is it.

If you don't want to deal with our sprawl, then don't come up here. We don't need your money.

There are a lot of people like me in Cabarrus County. that's why we have the government we do.

I know this is an urbanist site, and my views are the minority here, but it's great to have both an urban center and a rural option not very far from it.

Archived