Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

The 321's could also handle some routes like BOS-CLT that has a daily 757, and that could be redeployed to trans-atlantic. There are some other domestic and Caribbean routes that use 757's, so this could free them up. The 757 can fly to Europe, while the 321 can't, even though they both seat roughly the same number of passengers.

The 757s are getting long in years, but there really is no good replacement for a long-range medium-capacity jet.

Not to say it couldn't be done, but the reason the 757s fly Caribbean routes is because the plane is EOW (Extended Overwater) certified and it has a better CASM (cost for available seat mile) for high-density routes. The 321 has never been used for overwater ops and would have to be re-certified for such.

BTW, most of the US (East) 757s are only 10 years old (although East does operate some of the original Eastern Airlines 757s from the 1980s). The ones on the west side of ops are a different story. They are a conglomeration of different configs from about three different carriers (same goes for their fleet of A320s).

Edited by Miesian Corners

I almost always use Checkpoint D, where they did the recent expansion, when I fly out of CLT. The wait time there is usually much less than the other checkpoints. Glad they expanded it though...hopefully more people will use it so that the other checkpoints dont get so long that they back up into the ticketing areas.

Couple of item's on this weeks City Council Agenda for the Airport:

- $1.4M contract to replace the roof on Concourse C which is 23 years old and leaks a lot during heavy rains. Will they be installing a green roof? Of Course not.

- $370K contract to provide steal for the US Airways Training Center expansion that will house new flight simulators. Looks like they are moving full steam ahead on this project.

- $200K Design contract with HNTB to do a complete overhaul of all 100 Roadway signs at the Airport. The plan is to have all of the new signs installed by the end of this year. I think this was long overdue. The signs we have now are taped over and have been added to in a ragtag fashion over the years. I am hoping all the new signs will have a clear and modern presentation similar to RDU.

- $400K Design contract with Kimley Horn and a $3.1M construction contract with EASC to develop an Engineered Matierial Arresting System for the end of Runway 36R. If you are looking at a map of the airport this is the parallel runway on the East side. The EMAS is planned for the Northern end of the 36R where the railroad tracks are just about 500 ft beyond the runway. Some of you might remember the 1986 Piedmont Airlines crash of a 737 that overshoot this runway and ended up on the railroad tracks. Luckily the oncoming train was alerted to stop before it could have hit the jet and caused even more problems. This EMAS system is designed to prevent such accidents and would stop the plane before it got to the tracks by using crushable cement blocks.

To see how the EMAS system works you can watch this video.

I am currently listening to the state of the airline right now. Lots of questions about new service. I have asked a few and Im going to try and copy and paste some regarding Charlotte.

These questions are being asked by various employees throughout the company and answered by a panel at the meeting live in arizona.

Q. Any further plans for South America if Bogota gets approved

A. Nothing in the near term but will our widebody fleet nearly doubling in the next three years obvious places like Argentina and Brazil come to mind.

Q.If Delta and Northwest merge are we going to merge with American Airlines? This would be best for routes.

A. American, United, Continental...so many to choose from

Q. Is there any truth that we're talking to United Airlines about a merger?

A. Isn't DL talking to UA too....hard to keep straight who is talking to who these days. It's like high school all over again.

Q. Other than Beijing, which other Asian cities are we targeting for travel in near future?

A. Tokyo also India looks attractive in the future.

Q. Will the international out of Charlotte be mostly to South America?

A. We're looking at options in South America but also cities we already serve from PHL

Q. has our application to serve Bogota, Colombia been approved?

A. We haven't heard back from the DOT yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

Q. When we get the A350, are they going to replace A330s or will be used for expansion?

A. They can be used for both. The economic climate in 2014 and beyond will dictate that

Q. Are we planning a significant expansion in CLT, domestically and/or internationally? Mike Stevens 22yr f/a PHL

A. We announced four new routes from CLT this year with a few more domestic routes to come later this year.

With 17 A330s coming in the next three years it's likely that CLT will get some additional international service too.

Q.Doug just said other airlines did better because of money makimg international routes. I ask again. When will we hear announcements regarding expanded international service? What might these new routes be?

A. We have 17 A330s coming starting in 2009 thru 2011 which will give us the ability to expand our international presence. If we keep all the 767s we have in our fleet today, that will give us 37 widebody aircraft in just three years, almost doubling our current widebody fleet.

Q. When will any announcements be made concerning expanded International service out of CLT and PHX?

A. Doug and Scott have said that our PHL hub has great O&D traffic neccesary to support transatlantic flying, even though PHX and CLT are great hubs. CLT is by and large a connecting hub and the transatlantic flying already there does well. Doug and Scott have also said that there could be opportunites in PHX but the O&D demand is smaller and we don't currently have an aircraft to complete the mission.

Couple of item's on this weeks City Council Agenda for the Airport:

- $1.4M contract to replace the roof on Concourse C which is 23 years old and leaks a lot during heavy rains. Will they be installing a green roof? Of Course not.

- $370K contract to provide steal for the US Airways Training Center expansion that will house new flight simulators. Looks like they are moving full steam ahead on this project.

- $200K Design contract with HNTB to do a complete overhaul of all 100 Roadway signs at the Airport. The plan is to have all of the new signs installed by the end of this year. I think this was long overdue. The signs we have now are taped over and have been added to in a ragtag fashion over the years. I am hoping all the new signs will have a clear and modern presentation similar to RDU.

- $400K Design contract with Kimley Horn and a $3.1M construction contract with EASC to develop an Engineered Matierial Arresting System for the end of Runway 36R. If you are looking at a map of the airport this is the parallel runway on the East side. The EMAS is planned for the Northern end of the 36R where the railroad tracks are just about 500 ft beyond the runway. Some of you might remember the 1986 Piedmont Airlines crash of a 737 that overshoot this runway and ended up on the railroad tracks. Luckily the oncoming train was alerted to stop before it could have hit the jet and caused even more problems. This EMAS system is designed to prevent such accidents and would stop the plane before it got to the tracks by using crushable cement blocks.

To see how the EMAS system works you can watch this video.

Has there been any more mention of the planned International Terminal for CLT?

I am currently listening to the state of the airline right now. Lots of questions about new service. I have asked a few and Im going to try and copy and paste some regarding Charlotte.

These questions are being asked by various employees throughout the company and answered by a panel at the meeting live in arizona.

Q. Any further plans for South America if Bogota gets approved

A. Nothing in the near term but will our widebody fleet nearly doubling in the next three years obvious places like Argentina and Brazil come to mind.

Hmmm...not sure I'd agree with their strategy....I wouldn't fly to the cities that everyone already flies, though if LAN enters Star Alliance, I suppose Brazil makes sense. I'd still prefer to see Santiago and Lima.

Q. Other than Beijing, which other Asian cities are we targeting for travel in near future?

A. Tokyo also India looks attractive in the future.

Tokyo-yes, India-hmmmm

Q. Will the international out of Charlotte be mostly to South America?

A. We're looking at options in South America but also cities we already serve from PHL.

Hoping for Manchester, Paris, Madrid and Zurich

Q. has our application to serve Bogota, Colombia been approved?

A. We haven't heard back from the DOT yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

I'm getting nervous....so many applications for so few awards.

Q. When we get the A350, are they going to replace A330s or will be used for expansion?

A. They can be used for both. The economic climate in 2014 and beyond will dictate that

Seems logical, but the 767's have got to go...

Q. Are we planning a significant expansion in CLT, domestically and/or internationally? Mike Stevens 22yr f/a PHL

A. We announced four new routes from CLT this year with a few more domestic routes to come later this year.

With 17 A330s coming in the next three years it's likely that CLT will get some additional international service too.

I read that to say, we will CLT-AUS + 2 of the following OKC, Tulsa, San Antonio, Des Moines, Omaha), no European service until at least 2009 when they get new A332's.

Q.Doug just said other airlines did better because of money makimg international routes. I ask again. When will we hear announcements regarding expanded international service? What might these new routes be?

A. We have 17 A330s coming starting in 2009 thru 2011 which will give us the ability to expand our international presence. If we keep all the 767s we have in our fleet today, that will give us 37 widebody aircraft in just three years, almost doubling our current widebody fleet.

Wow....getting some milage off those 767 frames....please tell me that they wouldn't dare fly those after getting the A350

My comments were in bold.

There was an article in today's Charlotte Biz Journal that stated fare prices at CLT were up 0.3% for the 3rd quarter of 2007 from the same period of 2006. Average airfare is $363.29. This makes us the 25th most expensive airport among the top 100 in the country. Things could be a lot worse. The most expensive airport is Cincinnati with average fare of $575.67... Can you say... OUCH!

My comments were in bold.

Loved your comments. I think the feeling Im getting from the company is that good things will happen in Charlotte over the next few years. These new widebody aircraft are large. I see staffing increases starting late this year or early next year. New routes are announced approx. 6 months before service starts. I am hearing that Republic Airlines which flies most of the EMB170s for USAirways Express will be opening a Charlotte base. Chances are a lot of the pilots and F/As for Republic will chose to live in Charlotte. With lower salaries at express, Charlotte is more affordable. I talked to a pilot on my last trip and he said there are meetings going on in Tempe AZ about the pending mergers of some of the "Big 6" Capacity will be cut if say Delta and United merge. USAirways can take over some of the routes dropped by the mergers. This is how American , Delta, United have grown so large. When airlines merge and drop routes its great for the other airlines not involved.

Edited by Skyybutter

The FAA has announced that Charlotte and 18 other airports around the nation will receive air-traffic control simulators that provides a realistic background of that airport in varying weather conditions and synthetic voice response that interprets the handler's commands and translates them into actual aircraft movements.

tss_at_academy.jpg

students_using_simulator.jpg

From rumors on other sites it will be flights to Austin and San Antonio begining in May. Unfortunately they say it will be flown with 86 seat CR9 regional aircraft on US Airways Express operator Mesa. I have flown on this aircraft and must say it was one of the most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever flown on.

CRJ-900US_livery.gif

Hopefully they can upgrade these flights to the E170 or E 190 which are much more comfortable aircraft.

Back to an earlier subject...

Looks like Delta and NW are going to merge, and most likely United and Continental are going to follow suit. So how does this affect CLT? I note that these airlines have the monopoly, for the most part, on travel to Europe and Asia and control of all the major gateway cities in the USA.

I don't put much stock in these mergers until they are officially announced and approved by the DOJ. Someone such as American Airlines will step in and try and block one of them or offer a better deal to Continental for example and a whole new round of talks will begin again. I think the best outcome for CLT would be a merger between United and US Airways or US remaining on their own for now.

On another subject I was looking through Wikipedia and looked up CLT. It states the newest wing of concourse E will open on February 6, 2008 consisting of 6 additional gates a customer service desk and 3 new restaraunts including Salsarita Mexican Cantina, Burker King and a Planet Smoothie Stand in addition to a news stand.

Has this opened yet? Maybe I have been out of it, but I don't remember hearing or reading anything about it being opened yet.

Can anyone tell me why there is not express (non-stop) service from CLT to the uptown transit center? I am willing to bet that if CATS provided hourly service on a specially designed bus (space for luggage), it would be successful. Who wants to use a local bus to and from the airport? We need an express.

The route they have (#5) leaves the airport every 30 minutes starting at 5:49am (last trip at 1:02am) on weekdays (every hour from around 6am-8pm on weekends) and only has 3 stops between the airport and the transit center so that would seem like a pretty direct route and as about as express as you can get without being nonstop.

I have riden the #5 to and from the airport a couple of times. Even with luggage I found it to be easier than driving out there and parking. The bus drops you off right at the terminal.

Also if I remember correctly CATS is waiting for some CMAQ funding to come in so that they can buy some special buses for this route that will be able to better handle luggage. The Feds and State won't pay for these special buses using normal funds like they do when CATS goes out to buy buses.