Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Agreed, not having a crew module does defeat the purpose of QR flying the 788 on ultra-long and thin routes.  Since O&D between CLT-DOH is minimal at best, will there be enough connecting pax to make the A359 or 772 worthwhile on this route?

O&D between Philadelphia and Doha is minimal as well, something like 3PEWD and the wardanted a daily 777. Plus we have more connecting options (as we have more flights) and have more O&D to the Indian Subcontinent (where many people could connect to). So why can't we have at least 4x weekly 777 to Doha?

CLT has decent O&D to India (no matter what people from Raleigh say), and timed for US connections at CLT, and QR connections at DOH, the flight should do fine.

Interestingly enough, CLT-DOH is longer mileage wise than Tokyo (NRT).

CLT-DOH: 7246mi

CLT-NRT: 6872mi

I would wager a flying time of about 14h5m to DOH, and 15h10m back to CLT.

The new Hourly is open RIGHT NOW!!  

http://charmeck.org//city/charlotte/Airport/Parking/Pages/HourlyParking.aspx

I cannot remember the last time I was so excited about a new parking garage.

I actually parked here this evening.  Had to pick-up a delayed  bag, so used the new deck (first 15 mins still free).

It's very easy to navigate, and efficient in design.  I like it a lot.  There is still lots of missing glass/paint/etc and plywood up for now, but glad it's open.

Couple of thoughts:

The new atrium for the rental car counters seems really light and airy.

They have a covered tent-like walkway to keep people dry and wam between the deck and the drive-ways.

They are definitely widening the drives, but aren't they also widening the terminal as well?

I can't figure out if they built a subterranean tunnel for a future people-mover or not.  If not, not sure how all these decks will be connected....do you still need to take a bus from daily parking to get to the terminal?

I actually parked here this evening.  Had to pick-up a delayed  bag, so used the new deck (first 15 mins still free).

Actually I read that they extended it to the first hour being free. They did this because the cell phone lots are becoming crowded, so this will be the best new spot to park while waiting for someone to arrive.

2015 INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT RE-TIMMING

US704 FRANKFURT now departs: 16:35

US724 DUBLIN now departs: 18:45

US748 MADRID now departs: 18:30

US786 PARIS now departs: 18:35

US744 BARCELONA now departs: 18:20'

US720, US730 and US732 departure times remain the same, BUT US732 is now a A330-300. So the CLT-London Heathrow service is double daily A330-300 (beginning 29th March 2015) now instead of 1x A333 and 1x A332.

Also there are now 2 A330-200s freed up, perfect for resuming CLT-São Paulo.

EDIT: The person I hear rumours from, was wrong regarding double daily A333 London Heathrow service.

EDIT P.S: Barcelona is no longer flight 830 but rather US744 again.

Edited by Piedmont767
  • Like 1

2015 INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT RE-TIMMING

US704 FRANKFURT now departs: 16:35

US724 DUBLIN now departs: 18:45

US748 MADRID now departs: 18:30

US786 PARIS now departs: 18:35

US830 BARCELONA now departs: 18:20'

US720, US730 and US732 departure times remain the same, BUT US732 is now a A330-300. So the CLT-London Heathrow service is double daily A330-300 (beginning 29th March 2015) now instead of 1x A333 and 1x A332.

Also there are now 2 A330-200s freed up, perfect for resuming CLT-São Paulo.

EDIT: The person I hear rumours from, was wrong regarding double daily A333 London Heathrow service.

Looking at that roster of European flights, it may not have all of the big destinations (Amsterdam, Prague, Stockholm, ect), but it's a solid group.  Out of a mid-sized American metro, we have non-stop access to virtually all of Europe.  I wish we had Amsterdam and Moscow, maybe sometime in the future.

AA has announced that it will add a morning flight between Philadelphia and London Heathrow:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/11/24/american-bolsters-schedule-for-philadelphia-london-flights/19478741/

Please tell me, I am not the only one, who gets jealous and envious when Philadelphia or Miami get additional flights.

Edited by Piedmont767

AA has announced that it will add a morning flight between Philadelphia and London Heathrow:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/11/24/american-bolsters-schedule-for-philadelphia-london-flights/19478741/

Please tell me, I am not the only one, who gets jealous and envious when Philadelphia or Miami get additional flights.

This new flight is only with a 757, and it could be in Retaliation to Delta who just announced that they are starting PHL-LHR with a 757.  At CLT has 2x on 333's.  Granted we don't already have British Airways,

I wouldn't ever be jealous or envious of DCA or PHL. They're US hubs

What 'bout Miami? ;)

This new flight is only with a 757, and it could be in Retaliation to Delta who just announced that they are starting PHL-LHR with a 757.  At CLT has 2x on 333's.  Granted we don't already have British Airways,

Delta launched MIA-LHR 767-300ER service from 2011-2012 but dropped it realizing it was fruitless trying to compete with AA at their fortress hub in Miami.  Looks like AA will viciously defend Philadelphia too...

NEW ROUTE RUMOURS

-A daily widebody flight between CLT to LAX may be launched

-CLT-FRA may be re-timed to a departure of around 6:30pm

-British Airways may launch summer seasonal service in 2015 and then move it daily service from 2016 Personally I don't see BA launching service before 2016

-JetBlue to move gates to AA's current gates in A sometime next year

Now this is speculation:

-The new concourse may be an international concourse after all

EDIT: Changed the rumour of the international concourse to speculation

Edited by Piedmont767

NEW ROUTE RUMOURS

-British Airways may launch summer seasonal service in 2015 and then move it daily service from 2016 Personally I don't see BA launching service before 2016

Now this is a big rumour:

Not sure what kind of source you have.  But, is there any update on the possibility of Qatar Airways?

NEW ROUTE RUMOURS

Now this is a big rumour:

A wide body between CLT-LAX makes total sense. Back in the day Usair flew some 762s out there. If indeed CLT-EDDF gets re-timed, man that's a huge European bank of flights from 6:25-7:00. That would make my day if BA started service to CLT. US has a 6:55 and a 10:20ish departure to LHR. So if BA would find there way I could see a BA flight departing CLT a little after 4 or 8pm to have an efficient spaced out time of flights out to LHR. We don't even need to bring this JetBlue discussion up. I'll believe it when I see it. If this is what Indeed happens, I hope they get put in A9. Lastly, I think the airport realizes that the new AA isn't dumping there international portfolio.

Any info on if CLT-GRU will return?

I'd like to see CLT-MAD go year round...

Edited by JetBlueCLT

-IIRC, US Airways cannot fly widebody aircraft into LAX because of gate space. The largest aircraft they can currently fly in their is a 757. If AA/US were to fly CLT-LAX with a widebody, it would have to be operated by AA. I can see this happening in the near future, as it is now a hub-hub route.

-The retiming of CLT-FRA wouldn't surprise me.

-I can't see BA resuming service this year. That would only give them around 4-5 months to market the route before it is launched. Airlines typically like to announce new transatlantic routes in the September-October timeframe.

-JetBlue's move has been written on the wall since the merger.

-Regarding the international terminal, I will believe it when I see it.

^ It looks like Mid-Mo currently has 4 departures a day, so those 2 flights here would be a heck of an increase in air service!  

Brazil we all want, sure, but look at it from the other side: it might not be a huge add to the network from here, but it says quite a lot that there are cities out there that aspire to gain flights to CLT.  Columbia MO, Beckley WV, I'm cheering for you.  Who is next?