Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Hi everyone! I am Piedmont767 and I am a FA for US Airways based in Charlotte and I would like to put my imput into this forum ever since I started reading it a few years back! I am personally very very excited about the second daily CLT-LHR flight! The Queen City has two departures to London! Yay! Next summer I can see the following schedule from CLT:

CLT-LHR 333

CLT-LHR 332

CLT-MAN 752

CLT-DUB 752 (maybe a 763 the flight is always full)

CLT-CDG 333

CLT-BRU 752

CLT-FRA 333

CLT-FCO 333

CLT-BCN 332 (this flight has been very popular and is nearly always full)

CLT-MAD 332 (upguage from a 762 seeing as MAD is a oneworld hub too)

CLT-LIS 752

CLT-GRU 332

I personally think American will resume service between Charlotte and Rio De Janeiro next winter as a seasonal 332 flight. In the future I think we will have all the current international flights (maybe not Lisbon or Brussels) plus service to Rio, Tokyo and Doha. What do you think?

6 or 7 years ago (when we only had service to London and Frankfurt), could you imagine CLT having the number of international flights it has today or double daily to London?

Oh and by the way, the second daily CLT-LHR is not using a new A332 delivery, we took delivery of our last A332, N293AY, a month of two ago and there is no slack in the A330 fleet. So I assume the A332 is coming off the second daily CLT or PHL-FRA next year, the second daily USA-FRA are still loaded in the system for next year, but when the 2nd daily CLT-LHR is loaded onto the system tommorow, the 2nd daily USA-FRA flights may be taken off the system.

Edited by Piedmont767

^I don't think a 777 is too much for the route. BA has operated a 777 on CLT-LGW before, even without any US codeshare in place.

Again, I am sure CLT-LHR will be evaluated in the next couple of months, especially after the BA codeshare is set in place. Because of the JV, it is simple to swap aircraft and switch between BA and AA. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 777 in CLT in the future.

I did find a precedent whereby two JV airlines swapped metal for the USA-LHR routing. Earlier this year, Virgin Atlantic and Delta entered an agreement whereby they would swap slots on the LAX-LHR and ATL-LHR. Delta gave up one of its flights from ATL to be operated by Virgin Atlantic later this year, creating a new station for Virgin, and Virgin gave up a slot at LAX to be operated by Delta later this year. Since the two are joint venture partners, they are already more-or-less one airline over the ocean. Whether BA and AA would do the same remains to be seen. According to a friend of MC in corporate, such a swap with BA could happen next year (ref: MC's posts a while back).

I am hopeful that a swap happens, as I really would like to see BA in Charlotte again. I remember when the first 777 from LGW arrived in Charlotte in 1998; I even saved the newspaper article from that day. They actually named the plane the "City of Charlotte". I guess we will see.

Edited by cltbwimob

Does anyone know where they're going to get the plane from for the LHR flight? I didn't see anything about this; could it possible be pulled from one of the Frankfurt flight?

Barcelona (BCN), Venice (VCE), and Athens (ATH) are all flown with 330-200s and are seasonal from CLT and/or PHL.  Any of those planes could be utilized.  

Barcelona (BCN), Venice (VCE), and Athens (ATH) are all flown with 330-200s and are seasonal from CLT and/or PHL. Any of those planes could be utilized.

I don't think the aircraft is coning off those routes, as the second daily CLT-LHR is going to be year round and we will need the aircraft for those routes next year unless we decide to fly the 767s to Athens again, which is unlikely. And PHL-VCE is actually a A330-300 route is was upguaged a month of two ago.

Wasnt Brussels, Manchester & Lisbon already canceled for next year and shortened this year?

The CLT-BRU/LIS were shortned to fly 4X a week instead of daily. And the operating schedule for CLT-BCN/MAN/LIS/BRU was shortned by a month. I do not think there were cancelled for next year. What made you think that?

Edited by Piedmont767

A question for Piedmonte 767, I hear from reliable sources at American that the US Airways flights to Europe are so special that they offer a  different inflight product for example I hear that Fruit cups are served in coach and a big Fruity Charlotte Cake in Business Class is that true? Can you please elaborate? Also, those same sources have also told me that the following routes are under review: CLT- FCO, CLT- DUB, CLT-Man,CLT-BCN apparently they will be effectively served from 4 Hubs(and in the case of BCN5 hubs)  and this is not sustainable, one city will be cut next year. In addition, this same source has told me that LIS and BRU will not be coming back next year and that in 2015 once open skies goes into effect with Brazil the GRU flight will be moved to Miami. This route cannot be transferred until open skies since the authority is tied to CLT- GRU only. Also, Qatar will not be Launching CLT-Doha as it has done in Philadelphia, Miami and is looking at an LAX-Doha routing in 2015. BA has looked at CLT but given the extra US Airways flight will not be opening up Clt in 2015 but will instead launch a Philadelphia to London Morning flight in additional to the two evening Flights. Also, Iberia is looking to Launch Phl- Mad flight in addition to the existing US service. Based on my sources I think CLT - Transatlantic flights will be reduced to a total of 6 in 2015... 

A question for Piedmonte 767, I hear from reliable sources at American that the US Airways flights to Europe are so special that they offer a  different inflight product for example I hear that Fruit cups are served in coach and a big Fruity Charlotte Cake in Business Class is that true? Can you please elaborate? Also, those same sources have also told me that the following routes are under review: CLT- FCO, CLT- DUB, CLT-Man,CLT-BCN apparently they will be effectively served from 4 Hubs(and in the case of BCN5 hubs)  and this is not sustainable, one city will be cut next year. In addition, this same source has told me that LIS and BRU will not be coming back next year and that in 2015 once open skies goes into effect with Brazil the GRU flight will be moved to Miami. This route cannot be transferred until open skies since the authority is tied to CLT- GRU only. Also, Qatar will not be Launching CLT-Doha as it has done in Philadelphia, Miami and is looking at an LAX-Doha routing in 2015. BA has looked at CLT but given the extra US Airways flight will not be opening up Clt in 2015 but will instead launch a Philadelphia to London Morning flight in additional to the two evening Flights. Also, Iberia is looking to Launch Phl- Mad flight in addition to the existing US service. Based on my sources I think CLT - Transatlantic flights will be reduced to a total of 6 in 2015... 

I love sources!   

Are you sure the GRU flight is moving to Mia as well?  I know the GIG flight is but I thought GRU was staying.   BRU and LIS are logical drops not much info there.  I think at least two of FCO, DUB, MAN, and BCN stay, wouldn't be shocked to see all 4.

I think Qatar starts Doha eventually don't see how them starting PHL and MIA would affect them starting CLT.  Completely different market.  

Think we see BA to London sooner rather than later, don't understand why they would add a 3rd daily phl over clt though.  

I believe JAL will start eventually.  CLT probably has enough traffic for 1 asia flight.   

Wasn't expecting Iberia to start CLT anyways, no news there.

Well I will tell you how Philadelphia and Miami effective Charlotte when it comes to service to Doha, with Service to those cities plus JFK and IAD that makes for 4 east coast gateways to Doha add in the recently added DFW service and ORD as well and with all of the connecting services available via the other AA hubs there just is not room for Charlotte- plus there is virtually non existent O&D from Charlotte to the Middle East. Why would BA add a third Phl- LHR Routing over CLT? Its simple its called significant O&D + Plus connecting opportunities (and Philadelphia is already a BA Gateway no expense as there would be to open CLT plus with the Transatlantic Joint Venture BA will serve CLT with AA metal) served 2x daily to London. As for Tokyo an AA route planner recently was quoted in the Charlotte Observer saying that CLT international services will be oriented  torwards the Atlantic- Translation no Transpacific service. With regard to FCO, DUB, MAN,BCN as noted before they are served from 4 or 5 Hubs and with route rationalization coming one or two of the hubs is going to lose service and CLT with the lowest level of O&D and all operated seasonally is likely to see some reductions. Finally, the decision by CLT authorities to not build a new international terminal speaks volumes, if AA was planning on adding more international service and maintaining existing service they would have communicated this to the CLT authorities. Lets face it CLT is stretched for international departure and arrival gates now imagine more service and it would be untenable. What you have to remember also is when Route Rationalization occurs CLT is the most likely to lose routes as most of the Transatlantic flights are seasonal in the old US model the Transatlantic widebody fleet was used over the atlantic in summer and to the Carribean, Florida and Mexico in Winter. With AA in addition to Philadelphia there are other Hubs that can sustain year round international services so no need to use CLT as a seasonal back up to Philadelphia and under utilize the widebody aircraft fleet to Florida and Mexico when you can operate them from JFK, Chicago, Dallas and Miami year round. I asked Piedmont767 about the special services offered from CLT on the transatlantic routes because he/she thinks Charlotte is special and I have seen other posts of his/hers on other sites where it is stated inflight catering is better from Charlotte than from Philadelphia etc. to show how absurd that thinking is especially with the new merged airline when Clt has to compete not only with Philadelphia but with Miami to Latin America and the Carribean, Phl/JFK to Europe and Dallas and Chicago to Asia as well as Europe. Finally. I am a North Carolinian and am proud of  Charlotte  but  there will be less not more international service from CLT in the Future once the merged airline rationalizes its routes and fleet. I know I have written a mouthful but trust me this is the conventional thinking of the AA management in Dallas.           

A question for Piedmonte 767, I hear from reliable sources at American that the US Airways flights to Europe are so special that they offer a different inflight product for example I hear that Fruit cups are served in coach and a big Fruity Charlotte Cake in Business Class is that true? Can you please elaborate? Also, those same sources have also told me that the following routes are under review: CLT- FCO, CLT- DUB, CLT-Man,CLT-BCN apparently they will be effectively served from 4 Hubs(and in the case of BCN5 hubs) and this is not sustainable, one city will be cut next year. In addition, this same source has told me that LIS and BRU will not be coming back next year and that in 2015 once open skies goes into effect with Brazil the GRU flight will be moved to Miami. This route cannot be transferred until open skies since the authority is tied to CLT- GRU only. Also, Qatar will not be Launching CLT-Doha as it has done in Philadelphia, Miami and is looking at an LAX-Doha routing in 2015. BA has looked at CLT but given the extra US Airways flight will not be opening up Clt in 2015 but will instead launch a Philadelphia to London Morning flight in additional to the two evening Flights. Also, Iberia is looking to Launch Phl- Mad flight in addition to the existing US service. Based on my sources I think CLT - Transatlantic flights will be reduced to a total of 6 in 2015...

First of all, I never ever said that catering from Charlotte was different, I was referring to the fact the catering from Charlotte is better quailty than from philadelphia, I have flown from both Charlotte and Philadelphia and in my opinion catering from Charlotte is superior in taste.

CLT-FCO and CLT-DUB have already been loaded into the reservation system for next year, so will not be cut. Also the CLT-DUB-CLT is fully booked nearly every day and is booked way up in advance, look at the seat map for CLT-DUB in August, the flight is almost at capacity. CLT-BCN and CLT-MAN have not been loaded into the system yet because they are both new flights are all new international flights are reviewed after their first year of operation, CLT-BCN will stay, the route is full every single day, granted their is not much O&D from Charlotte to Europe but their are a lot of connections which still make a route profitable. Lisbon and Brussels-yeah I can understand, but US/AA have a history of trying new international routes for a second year rather than cutting them straight away.

CLT-GRU is not going anywhere either the route is loaded into the reservation system and route planners at American Airlines have said that the Charlotte to São Paulo route is not going anywhere, CLT-GIG is gone but not GRU. Qatar CLT-Doha, I can see your point but I do think and other people on this forum agree with me, that Qatar wil eventually launch DOH-CLT.

According to a news release distributed Sunday, the additional CLT-LHR flight is part of the airline’s effort to boost its international service from CLT — something the company predicted would happen in the months leading up to last year’s merger with US Airways. Also the international flights from Charlotte are full, they make money, so at the end of the day why cut them?

Also when is the announcement that US Airways is cutting service between Charlotte and GRU/LIS/BCN/FCO/BRU/MAN/DUB?

US Airways would not of launched service between all these cities and have them run every year for the last few years, unless US Airways thought they could make money on new routes (CLT-LIS/BCN/BRU/MAN) or if the flights actually made money.

Oh and you might want to get your facts right, American and US Airways together, only operate 4 flights to Barcelona from Charlotte, Miami, New York JFK and Philadelphia, not 5 flights. And this merger was about putting American and US Airways on top and expanding the route structure of a combinded airline, not about consolidation and economics.

Edited by Piedmont767

Also, Piedmont767 if you think for one minute that this merger was not about consolidation and economics you are really ill informed that's exactly what its about. If economics were not part of this equation why are we seeing a shift from smaller RJ's to larger aircraft(especially at Clt) its because the economics of the smaller RJ's don't work anymore, why did we see CLT-GIG get dropped(maybe because it was not profitable?) why did US airways cut the frequency and season of CLT- BRU, LIS MAN and BCN after it was scheduled to be daily from June to Oct. its because the bookings were poor and they tried to cut the losses and maybe turn that into a profit. Why is US adding a second LHR flight(because they think they can make a profit) There will be winners and losers in all groups: airports, employees, passengers but we know Mr Parker is all about economics and share holder value. And having said that I need to correct a statement I made above were I meant to say that flights with higher O&D are more profitable than connecting services that is an industry fact.

Piedmont767 you are really showing your ignorance the same catering etc. is used from Charlotte and Philadelphia(LSG Skychiefs) so how could food taste better from one, it does not- its in your head. The fact of the matter remains that AA will rationalize its fleet and schedules and Charlotte has more to lose than other Hubs internationally. How do you know the Yields on CLT- FCO versus JFK- FCO or ORD-FCO. And beware the new CLT- LHR flight AA could funnel traffic to other parts of Europe via LHR thus negating the need for flights to second tier cities. Also, if Lis, Bru, Man and Bcn have performed so well why did Usairways cut some to less then daily and shorten the flying season for all of them- me thinks they did not perform as expected. Furthermore, I never said that:FCO, DUB,BCN and Man would be cut, all I said was that with all of these cities being served from 4 or 5 AA Hubs they are under review and one or two of the Hubs will lose some of this flying.

just because all are loaded now does not mean they will all be back next year. Lis and Bru will not be back and may not fly from Philadelphia in the future as traffic is shifted from Star Hubs. Have you ever though for a second how Clt with 700 flights feeding into the Hub cannot sustain much year round Transatlantic flying beyond LHR, FRA and MUC? When Philadelphia can with less than 500 flights funneling into the Hub or how JFK can sustain 10+ flights a day to London, 2x to CDG and 1x to Milan and other cities in Europe year round with little connecting traffic its called O&D traffic and that's Charlotte's weakness, don't confuse full flights with profits, its an industry fact that connecting traffic is less profitable than connecting traffic. CLT is going to remain a huge part of the new AA but it will be diminished in terms of international flying. Have you also factored into the equation that as the new AA costs rise(all of the employees got sweeter packages financially to make the merger happen) flying that was profitable in the past maybe rendered unprofitable in the future. If you live in NC like I do, go read the MECK DECK online they call all of this pie in the sky stuff about CLT growing internationally delusional. I know you love the fantasy of serving fruit cups in coach to passengers flying from CLT to distant places on the globe but the reality is there will be less international flying from CLT in the future.

Look I work as a Flight Attendant for US Airways, I eat airplane food most of the week, in the past week I have flown on CLT-BCN and PHL-FRA, the catering is the same (LSG Sky Chefs) but it does taste different, you can not replicate a recipe exactly but you can get close, the recipes for the meals will be the same but the taste will vary- fact.

How do I know the yields for CLT-FCO? I have seen and read documents and information that I can not post on line, if I post them online I would probably be fired. And how do you know that CLT-BRU/LIS will be cut next year? There have been no news releases, nor have there been any annoucements in the CLT crew room. And your source, inside sources are some of the most unreliable, the person you hear it from probably heard it from a Flight Attendant who heard it from another Flight Attendant who heard that from a Captain who heard it from a Ground Staff who said that is had come from the Route Planning Department. Inside company sources are so unreliable that I don't pay attention to them unless it has come directly from that Department.

And why was the season operating time for LIS/BCN/BRU/MAN from Charlotte shortened? Because there were weaker than expected bookings but the demand had gone up and once again I have seen documents that I can not post online, however I can say that the Yield: Revenue per Passenger Mile for CLT-BCN is good.

Did I say that you said that CLT-BCN/FCO/MAN/DUB were being cut? No I just gave you reasons why they are not being cut. And if a flight is loaded into the reservation system for next year, it means that there is a 99% that it will be operated next year.

You are being very pendantic telling me about O&D traffic, I know that it is Charlotte's weeknes. And I know that connecting passengers are low yielding, however if you have a low yielding but full flight you will make money, if you have a high yielding but half full flight you will make money. International flights from CLT are low yielding, no doubt about it, but they are full, so they make money.

AA's costs will rise but Charlotte Douglas has some of the lowest, if not the lowest, operating cost and cost per enplanement for any US airport, which make CLT a very good airport to operate international flights from because American would not have to pay as much money to CLT to operate an international flight from, than DFW or MIA.

And the Meck Deck, that is the opinion of website, blog or foundation compared to the opinion of the Charlotte Chamber, Charlotte Douglas Airport and American Airline- who all say that international flying from Charlotte will increase. 3 v 1. Also American Airlines Route Planners, who are the ones who decide on what routes the new American will fly, have said that international service will stay and increase.

And what is all the mumbo jumbo on serving fruit cups? :/ At the end of the day, I don't really want to argue with you but I disagree with your opinion and so do others. Can we agree to disagree and focus on the good points of Charlotte Douglas' expansion?

Edited by Piedmont767

Yes, we can agree to disagree and that's the beauty of our country, we all have an opinion and are free to voice it. Clt has grown to be an amazing airport and I would love to see flights to all continents but I m not buying all of this growth stuff- the international terminal not getting built has confirmed my suspicions- our airport is a disaster with international departures scattered around the terminal, customs and immigration lines that are never ending. My opinion is if AA was planning on  international growth they would address the  space constraints of the terminal via a dedicated international terminal like most big gateway airports- but CLT has decided not to go forward with its construction- this is a big red flag to me.....! Lets see what happens over the next 6 months.

Yes, we can agree to disagree and that's the beauty of our country, we all have an opinion and are free to voice it. Clt has grown to be an amazing airport and I would love to see flights to all continents but I m not buying all of this growth stuff- the international terminal not getting built has confirmed my suspicions- our airport is a disaster with international departures scattered around the terminal, customs and immigration lines that are never ending. My opinion is if AA was planning on international growth they would address the space constraints of the terminal via a dedicated international terminal like most big gateway airports- but CLT has decided not to go forward with its construction- this is a big red flag to me.....! Lets see what happens over the next 6 months.

Absolutely, we all have freedom of speech and a right to an opinion! "That's the beauty of our country."-perfect way to put it.

The beauty of having Concourse A North is that as other airlines move out of current Concourse A, Jetblue could move to concourse A and free up gate D4. Meaning you can move an aircraft destined for the Islands from a A330 gate (D3 for example) and put it on D4, and there you have another A330 gate available. Also the flight to Dublin should still depart and arrive from/at B due to customs preclearance in Ireland. Also the international flights all depart at different times and is a mini-rolling hub, if you get what I mean. So honestly I don't think and never thought CLT needed a new international terminal, I think we are fine with concourse D and I think that is what American thinks as well. Don't get me wrong, I would love a new international terminal but at the minute CLT needs new domestic gates.

EDIT- Thinking about it, we do actually fruit cups on select international flights from Charlotte. On CLT-Brazil-CLT we serve fruit cups as part of the arrival meal! :D

Edited by Piedmont767

Moderator Note:

I just deleted 1 post out of here.  Please don't re-hash the same discussion from other forums in here.  This thread is quickly devolving into a personal back and forth.  And granted, that sometimes happens here on Urban Planet, but I get the sense that 1 posted is following another poster around the internet, ready to pop-up whevever just to continue some useless back-forth.

Please move on, or at least make posts of general interest, and not a back-forth "conversation".

• Like 1

I actually have a question for Piedmont767... Have you heard anything about the new routes to OKC and Tulsa that started on the 2nd?? I know it may be too early, but if the route does well we could possibly see the flights upgaged to mainline instead of the CR7 and CR9 (I think CR7 goes to Tulsa and CR9 goes to OKC, correct me if I'm wrong anybody). Everybody is talking about the status of international service but domestic flights though not as glamorous help the airport's bottom line too.

I actually have a question for Piedmont767... Have you heard anything about the new routes to OKC and Tulsa that started on the 2nd?? I know it may be too early, but if the route does well we could possibly see the flights upgaged to mainline instead of the CR7 and CR9 (I think CR7 goes to Tulsa and CR9 goes to OKC, correct me if I'm wrong anybody). Everybody is talking about the status of international service but domestic flights though not as glamorous help the airport's bottom line too.

I have not heard much about the new OKC and Tulsa routes, as I mainly fly international. However I have heard that it is quite full especially to OKC. Eventually I suspect the we may have a daily 738 between CLT-Tulsa, seeing how TUL is a major maintenance hub for AA as we could shuffle the 737 in for maintenance whilst carrying passengers- a win win situation.

CLT-OKC, in the future I can see a daily A319 and PSA operated CRJ 900, as PSA will mainly be operating AA's new CRJ 900s, I see the Mesa operated CRJ 900s going to DFW and LAX- just my two cents.

I think, that we all think CLT will see more service to the Midwest, to complement DFW and ORD, whereas MIA is way too south and PHL/JFK too east.

There are some rumors that Philadelphia to Dublin flights are not performing well and that the flights will now be operated  with an 332 year round from Charlotte while Philadelphia-Dublin will be down gauged to a 757 and operate only seasonally. This is BIG for Charlotte, can someone confirm this is true? If so I was very wrong in my earlier statements. Could this be the start of a major year round international growth strategy @ CLT in addition to the new Domestic flights?

There are some rumors that Philadelphia to Dublin flights are not performing well and that the flights will now be operated  with an 332 year round from Charlotte while Philadelphia-Dublin will be down gauged to a 757 and operate only seasonally. This is BIG for Charlotte, can someone confirm this is true? If so I was very wrong in my earlier statements. Could this be the start of a major year round international growth strategy @ CLT in addition to the new Domestic flights?

Do you have any inside sources on this other than the thread on flyertalk?

• Like 1

I was flying to LAX yesterday and I saw two interesting things while at the airport:

1. I saw a larger Delta plane parked in Concourse D yesterday; I was trying to get closer for a better look but I couldn't make it
  2. I saw a Sun Country plane on the tarmac yesterday; is this the flight that goes to Punta Cana or somewhere else in the Caribbean? 

Do you have any inside sources on this other than the thread on flyertalk?

I dont read Flyertalk so not sure what is being said there but will take a look. I was flying from Clt to Gru (in fact am in GRU now) and was talking to the cabin service director who is Charlotte based and he indicated that he has spoken to network planning and thats the plan. This US employee seemed to have knowledge of load factors and profitability so it seemed credible to me. If this is true, my though process on less international flying form Clt in the future is incorrect. I would think we should see some schdule changes/announcement soon if this is going to happen with the winter schedule effective Octobert 31, 2014     

I dont read Flyertalk so not sure what is being said there but will take a look. I was flying from Clt to Gru (in fact am in GRU now) and was talking to the cabin service director who is Charlotte based and he indicated that he has spoken to network planning and thats the plan. This US employee seemed to have knowledge of load factors and profitability so it seemed credible to me. If this is true, my though process on less international flying form Clt in the future is incorrect. I would think we should see some schdule changes/announcement soon if this is going to happen with the winter schedule effective Octobert 31, 2014     

If true, that is an interesting develop that would go against everything I'v heard including the news that the New terminal will start out domestic.  I do question the feasibility of having a translatlantic hub in Philadelphia and JFK though.  I know UA makes IAD and EWR work.  outside of the O/D flights for PHL it would help even out the eastern Transatlantic hubs for AA if it was JFK and CLT instead of PHL and JFK.  Not unlike DL with ATL and JFK, but only time will tell.  If they are adding domestic flights it should increase INTL flights not decrease.

Edited by CltFlyer

Personally, I find it hard to believe. Plus, I'd always take everything from crewmembers with a grain of salt. It could be just galley gossip.

Even though, with the Chiquita/Fyffes merger I could see a potential business case for the flight going year round.

Wasn't CLT-Stockholm (ARN) rumored to serve Electrolux?