Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 1/14/2016 at 2:32 AM, Piedmont767 said:

A person on another forum mentioned to me, that there will be some announcements regarding new flights tomorrow, some out of DFW and some summer seasonal flights from elsewhere- maybe CLT will get a slice of the action.

Someone updated the CLT Wikipedia page to show a new summer seasonal flight to SJC (San Jose, CA) starting on June 2.  I haven't seen an announcement, and it's not bookable on AA.com, so does anyone know if this is true and just hasn't been officially announced yet?  AA did quietly announce a few new routes from DFW (Boise, Sioux City, and seasonal Bozeman), ORD (Sacramento), and LGA (Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Bangor, and Myrtle Beach - all summer seasonal) yesterday, but not all of them are bookable yet.  I think SJC is/would be a logical add, and I keep hoping our SMF flight goes year-round.  Depending on where you're traveling in the Bay Area / Northern California, it's nice to have the option to fly non-stop to Sacramento or San Jose instead of San Francisco.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cltcane said:

Someone updated the CLT Wikipedia page to show a new summer seasonal flight to SJC (San Jose, CA) starting on June 2.  I haven't seen an announcement, and it's not bookable on AA.com, so does anyone know if this is true and just hasn't been officially announced yet?  AA did quietly announce a few new routes from DFW (Boise, Sioux City, and seasonal Bozeman), ORD (Sacramento), and LGA (Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Bangor, and Myrtle Beach - all summer seasonal) yesterday, but not all of them are bookable yet.  I think SJC is/would be a logical add, and I keep hoping our SMF flight goes year-round.  Depending on where you're traveling in the Bay Area / Northern California, it's nice to have the option to fly non-stop to Sacramento or San Jose instead of San Francisco.

San Jose is being added!

• Like 1

Archer Western Construction has been selected to build the new control tower at CLT.  They built the new hourly deck and rental car facility and are currently working on other expansion and renovation projects at the airport.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/01/18/contractor-chosen-to-build-new-air-traffic-control.html

As a side note, the CLT haters on a.net are already talking about how the new CLT-SJC flight won't last because there is no tech industry in Charlotte and because CLT is only good for funneling low-fare-paying families to Disney World.

On January 17, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Piedmont767 said:

CLT-San Jose is now bookable! Though its not cheap- almost $2,000 return in coach. 

12 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Archer Western Construction has been selected to build the new control tower at CLT.  They built the new hourly deck and rental car facility and are currently working on other expansion and renovation projects at the airport.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/01/18/contractor-chosen-to-build-new-air-traffic-control.html

As a side note, the CLT haters on a.net are already talking about how the new CLT-SJC flight won't last because there is no tech industry in Charlotte and because CLT is only good for funneling low-fare-paying families to Disney World.

What a surprise ... Lol. Just for fun, the first CLT-SJC flight already has 27 people booked on it. Good start 

On 1/17/2016 at 10:34 AM, JetBlueCLT said:

Good add. Hopefully it does well and can get upgraded to an A320/A321 over time

Is CLT-ABQ(Albuquerque) coming back next summer?

We've got one trip to Puerto Vallarta already booked and are planning a return trip to New Mexico this fall. Apparently our motto is "if there are no direct flights, we're going."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cltcane said:

Really don't understand the Charlotte hate. Really don't understand people who go on any forum and rant about how much they hate a place. It's way obsessive.

Their lives are busily occupied by hatred for all things Charlotte? Really? Gracious, leafy, innocuous little Charlotte? I mean, we're so designed and trained not to give offense, how can they hate us? You'd rather we were &^!$!&s? 

'All that place is good for is funneling low-fare-paying families to Disney World.'

Ouch, ouch! Our embarrassing lack of cachet is finally exposed by the nation's arbiters of culture, anonymous posters on, um,  airliners.net!

How shall we bear the humiliating shame?

8 hours ago, cltcane said:

With construction getting ready to start this year on the ATC tower, are there any renderings floating around for it?  I'd imagine we will get something along the lines of ORD's new north or south tower, just taller at 370'.  However, it would be pretty awesome if we got something like MIAL or AUH sleek designs.

I love airliners.net.  Posters there have access to the most sophisticated route planning and analysis tools known to man...namely other airliners.net posters.  If only airline execs and route planners would read airliners.net, they would be able to increase profits 200%.  

Btw, Miami should have 5,000 flights per day at a minimum.

• Like 1

I just did a random search in June on AA.com and the Charlotte - San Jose,CA non-stop flight is available. 

CLT - SJC: departs at 6:10pm, arrives 8:45pm

SJC - CLT: departs 10:45pm , arrives 6:40am

It's $749 for me. Hope this one sticks as it's a great alternative for the Bay Area, especially if you plan on being in Silicon Valley or south of the bay. I haven't been to the San Jose airport in several years, but remember it being very easy to get in and out of being that it's one long terminal. 

Side question, has there ever been a Charlotte - Oakland nonstop before? 

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

I just did a random search in June on AA.com and the Charlotte - San Jose,CA non-stop flight is available. 

CLT - SJC: departs at 6:10pm, arrives 8:45pm

SJC - CLT: departs 10:45pm , arrives 6:40am

It's $749 for me. Hope this one sticks as it's a great alternative for the Bay Area, especially if you plan on being in Silicon Valley or south of the bay. I haven't been to the San Jose airport in several years, but remember it being very easy to get in and out of being that it's one long terminal. 

Side question, has there ever been a Charlotte - Oakland nonstop before? 

Norweigan tried OAK-CLT-ARN... J/K LOL

SJC is actively recruiting new routes with a lot of incentives. LH and BA will start service to FRA and LHR this year.  I wonder if AA got incentives for the CLT flight?

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I love it when they're stupid.

I love how a thread about weekly airline schedule changes in the US can become a discussion about how CLT is inferior to every other AA hub (and to almost all similarly-sized non-hub cities).  Just mention CLT, and the haters start offering their expert analyses about how and why CLT will surely become the next PIT, STL, or MEM in a matter of months.  Meanwhile, back in reality, AA continues to add and upgauge flights here.  It may not always be to exotic, far-flung destinations, but a new daily flight or two to previously-unconnected markets is always good news, even if the flights are primarily to connect passengers from those cities to East Coast, Caribbean, and European destinations served from CLT.  I don't think we'll be seeing any (or many) new international flights anytime soon, but there are a handful of small, mainly Midwestern, cities with existing AA service that I think make sense to connect to CLT.  Places like Shreveport (SHV), Cedar Rapids (CID), Bloomington-Normal (BMI), and Wichita (ICT).  And I'd love to see a daily flight to Orange County, CA (SNA).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cltcane said:

I love how a thread about weekly airline schedule changes in the US can become a discussion about how CLT is inferior to every other AA hub (and to almost all similarly-sized non-hub cities).  Just mention CLT, and the haters start offering their expert analyses about how and why CLT will surely become the next PIT, STL, or MEM in a matter of months.  Meanwhile, back in reality, AA continues to add and upgauge flights here.  It may not always be to exotic, far-flung destinations, but a new daily flight or two to previously-unconnected markets is always good news, even if the flights are primarily to connect passengers from those cities to East Coast, Caribbean, and European destinations served from CLT.  I don't think we'll be seeing any (or many) new international flights anytime soon, but there are a handful of small, mainly Midwestern, cities with existing AA service that I think make sense to connect to CLT.  Places like Shreveport (SHV), Cedar Rapids (CID), Bloomington-Normal (BMI), and Wichita (ICT).  And I'd love to see a daily flight to Orange County, CA (SNA).

I second that.

I know the chances of this is slim to none, but would love AA to add CLT-FAR(Fargo) Would make it so much easier to get to and from college.

23 hours ago, cltcane said:

As I've said many times before in this forum:  Star Alliance (United) has IAD and SkyTeam (Delta) has ATL, so oneworld (AA) has no choice but to maintain CLT as a fortress hub.  MIA and DFW are too far away to connect midwest/northeast passengers conveniently and cheaply.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, xapostrophe said:

Charlotte is essentially closed tomorrow.

AA cancelled all flights in and out of Charlotte.

Arrivals tonight are canceled too so that no aircraft remain overnight in CLT. Any flight that is the last one of the day to Charlotte and the plane would have been parked until the morning flights out of the CLT hub are canceled.

Here is American's strategy for ALL hubs on the East Coast if you are traveling AA tonight through Sunday:

CLT
Thursday: Zero RON aircraft
Friday: 100% cancel mainline/regional flights
Saturday: Resume operations with normal flight schedule after 9AM

WAS
Friday: Zero RON aircraft
--US mainline cancel 50% after 2PM
--US regional cancel 100% after 2PM
--AA mainline operate flights to DCA except for those that schedule RON
Saturday: 100% cancel mainline/regional
Sunday: Resume operations with normal schedule after noon

PHL
Friday: Zero RON aircraft
Saturday: 100% cancel mainline/regional
Sunday: Resume operations with normal schedule during morning, will adjust Sunday cancels as forecast develops

NYC
LGA/JFK

--Friday: ZERO regional RON aircraft at NYC airports (including ISP)
--Saturday: 100% mainline and cancel after 11AM & 100% regional cancel all day
--Sunday: Resume operations after noon
EWR
--Saturday: 100% mainline cancel after 11AM &100% regional cancel all day

RDU
Thursday: Zero regional RON, only three mainline RON
Friday: Three right start flights will operate, all other flights cancelled
Saturday: Resume operations at noon

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

I find that some of the posters on A.ne are picking a fight.  What they post is just garbage.  They don't know much about Charlotte.  I bet they could not find Charlotte on a US map or even on a Mecklenburg map.

They've always done this.

Whatever their reasons for hating Charlotte: an upstart city usurping older cities, US Airways once employed then fired them, they had a bad trick on a layover here, they perceive themselves as being far more chic and hip because they live in Miami and so like most insecure people, they have to find someone to look down upon, whatever.

They are not important people, though they obviously crave importance. They spend much of their time hating on a city they seem hardly to know.

Why get near them? These are toxic persons.

I quit going there.

• Like 1