Best Nightlife in the Carolinas

krazeeboi

Which city in the Carolinas has the best nightlife?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Which city in the Carolinas has the best nightlife?

• Asheville
    • Chapel Hill
    • Charleston
    • Charlotte
    • Columbia
    • Durham
    • Greensboro
    • Greenville NC
    • Greenville SC
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Raleigh
    • Spartanburg
    • Wilmington
    • Winston-Salem

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't it only been rather recent that Greensboro's nightlife has picked up? For most other Carolina cities known for a vibrant nightlife, it's been like this for a while now.

night life in the carolinas has to go in this order charlotte,columbia, reileigh, myrtlebeach and charlseton are a tie depends on the tourist season,wiston salem, greenville, fayeteville, ect.

Charleston outranks Columbia in nightlife, regardless of the tourist season. It was rated as the best place for singles in SC, and the nightlife was one of those reasons.

i don't no about that one, i heard alot of people in charleston say that there are no clubs really to go to in charleston. it's always something going on in columbia,5pts alone is a big social district, no including the bars and clubs in the vista. i don't even think charleston has a area like 5pts. with nothing but an area fill with night life. don't get me wrong i never said that charleston did have a night life, it's just nothing like columbia's.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Raleigh, Myrtle Beach and Columbia. None of them have the concentration of bars and clubs that uptown Charlotte has. There are at least 25 or more bars/clubs all within walking distance of each other in uptown, most people dont even realize it. Everytime I open a Creative Loafing I see an ad for a bar I never knew was there.

On top of that there are all the little clusters outside center city. Places like Montford Dr. near Park and Woodlawn has about 6 or 7 bars. Most dont know about them either. University, although i've never actually been to them, has quite a few bars.

And LOL, you really cant beat Coyote Joes 1-2-3 night every fri or sat night. Im a yankee and in no way do I enjoy country music, but 123 nights are a blast, you should check it out if you ever get the chance.

Alrighty then...Glenwood South in Raleigh, a five block stretch...here goes; Mojoes, Mellow Mushroom, 607 Bistro, Hi-5, Red Room, Bogarts, Armadillo Grill, Havannas, Lucky 13, Helios, Aura, Rush Lounge, Sullivans, April and Geroge, Hard Times Cafe, Stool Pigeons, Vin, The Rockford, Hibernian, Cody's, Sushi Blues, Zely & Ritz, 518 West, and Dive Bar. That's 24 places all fronting the same street. The Warehouse district and Powerhouse district are almost contiguous to Glenwood South and add about 15 more bar/clubs/late restaurants. I would say Raleigh's downtown nightlife compares nicely to Charlotte's.

Charleston outranks Columbia in nightlife, regardless of the tourist season. It was rated as the best place for singles in SC, and the nightlife was one of those reasons.

That was before Club RA in Columbia. People from Charlotte and Atlanta have been raving about it. It's quite a party.

That was before Club RA in Columbia. People from Charlotte and Atlanta have been raving about it. It's quite a party.

I've been hearing alot about Club RA lately. There is defintely alot of night life in Columbia!! Numerous of bars and Clubs. You can easly enjoy yourself anynight in Cola. I love Charleston setup,it so urban!! It's impossible for it not to have a vibrant night life.

Charlotte has this category over all others by far.....especially in the international clubs......where else in the Carolinas can you find a club owned by Persians(sky lounge) with Hookah and Persian Rugs playing middle eastern music and attracts DJ's from all over the country and overseas......or any other city in NC/SC that has Greek nights at the Forum or Greek isles.....and as far as House music.....in columbia the only place is Fusion which is a gay club......in Charlotte there are several clubs other than gay that has house music....and there are way more DJ's that come to venues in CLT.....DJ Tiesto was here last year and Paul Oakenfold came this summer to name a few.....RA in columbia is sooooo overrated......I went there a couple of times.....the 2nd time i went i waited in line for like 30 minutes.....only to reach the door and realize they were charging $20 and guess what song was playing.....Twist and Shout!!! I was so dissapointed.....it is a beautiful club though.......but the DJ's suck....and it would be nicer if there were more college kids there instead of drunk rednecks in their 40's wearing Levi's.......as far as Charleston.....they have a good shopping scene, but the clubs are ok.....not sure about the other cities.....

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Asheville based on the size of the city, and the amount of clubs/bars in downtown Ashevill.e

Yeah, Asheville, Chapel Hill, and Wilmington are the real nightlife cities in NC. It's odd that those small cities are every bit as active, if not moreso, than the big guns (Charlotte, Raleigh, Columbia).

Mark my words though. When that convention center is built, Raleigh will be set for great things.

• 2 months later...

I would have to say of the places that I have visited in the Carolinas, Columbia has one of the best night lifes. Particularly compared to Charlotte. A few friends and I went up to Charlotte for a weekend to go enjoy two major concerts. For the two nights that we stayed there, in downtown Charlotte, there were people out, but by about 2:00am all the clubs shut down and :cry: the police were out clearing the streets. We were completely taken by :shok: surprise. Even in Columbia there are great Clubs Downtown that stay open until 4 and +5 in the morning. Often times my friends and I have not gone out in Columbia until about 1:30am and still have plenty of time to enjoy the nightlife :w00t: before the sun comes up. Areas like Five Points, Vista, Main Street, and even some clubs outside of the Down Town area are more exciting and stay open longer than Charlotte :whistling: . And while I have not been out to Clubs in Charleston (only private parties) I hear that there is not much offered for night life...for the young crowd that is (23-30). Infact, several people I know travel to Columbia and other cities in the area to go out.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say of the places that I have visited in the Carolinas, Columbia has one of the best night lifes. Particularly compared to Charlotte. A few friends and I went up to Charlotte for a weekend to go enjoy two major concerts. For the two nights that we stayed there, in downtown Charlotte, there were people out, but by about 2:00am all the clubs shut down and :cry: the police were out clearing the streets. We were completely taken by :shok: surprise. Even in Columbia there are great Clubs Downtown that stay open until 4 and +5 in the morning. Often times my friends and I have not gone out in Columbia until about 1:30am and still have plenty of time to enjoy the nightlife :w00t: before the sun comes up. Areas like Five Points, Vista, Main Street, and even some clubs outside of the Down Town area are more exciting and stay open longer than Charlotte :whistling: . And while I have not been out to Clubs in Charleston (only private parties) I hear that there is not much offered for night life...for the young crowd that is (23-30). Infact, several people I know travel to Columbia and other cities in the area to go out.

That particular night mustve sucked, go out on a Saturday night at the Forum and see for yourself how many people are walking the streets, I dont know who lied to you buddy but there are plenty of clubs in charlotte that stay open late, just depends what day you go and which clubs.....the clubs in columbia are trashy IMO* compared to the ones in Charlotte which are classy.........the classiest thing in columbia is Rust off Gervais st. which is a lounge/bar

You can't paint all of the clubs in Columbia with a broad brush and say they're ALL trashy as well as do the same for Charlotte and say they're all classy (since it's quite doubtful that you've been to all clubs in both cities). I just think that overall, both cities cater to different crowds as far as nightlife goes (at least downtown) and will therefore have different feels. Give me Five Points and the Vista anyday and I'll be alright.

...And while I have not been out to Clubs in Charleston (only private parties) I hear that there is not much offered for night life...for the young crowd that is (23-30). Infact, several people I know travel to Columbia and other cities in the area to go out.

:huh: Wow, this is interesting. I hear the exact opposite for people who live down there currently. As a matter of fact, Chas offers many different nighttime venues for varying tastes: Tsunami Sushi Bar, The Terrace outdoor/rooftop bar and restaurant...good grief, I know they've heard of Level 2? Tommy Condons? If they're hanging out in Summerville, I might understand their opinion. :D

• 3 weeks later...

charlotte without a doubt, djs from all over the world come to charlotte and the partys thrown by sugar soceity and third eye go on well past 6 am alot of times, with the dancefloor still rockin, no where else in the carolinas has that big city nightlife vibe charlotte has. Sure alot of places, columbia, wilmington, asheville , etc. have their little nightlife scene going on, but in charlotte you have an ACTUAL underground dance music scene that just rocks. Every party i've been to in charlotte has been excellent, every dj (and when i say dj, im not talking about some local guy that spins on turntables, im talking about world famous, established djs that play all over the world) thats come to charlotte has loved it. in any given month in charlotte, more talent rolls through there than all other cities in both carolinas COMBINED. I'm not trying to blow charlottes horn here, but having been involved in the nightlife scene there for awhile, i can truely say the nighlife there is unparalleled.

charlotte without a doubt, djs from all over the world come to charlotte and the partys thrown by sugar soceity and third eye go on well past 6 am alot of times, with the dancefloor still rockin, no where else in the carolinas has that big city nightlife vibe charlotte has. Sure alot of places, columbia, wilmington, asheville , etc. have their little nightlife scene going on, but in charlotte you have an ACTUAL underground dance music scene that just rocks. Every party i've been to in charlotte has been excellent, every dj (and when i say dj, im not talking about some local guy that spins on turntables, im talking about world famous, established djs that play all over the world) thats come to charlotte has loved it. in any given month in charlotte, more talent rolls through there than all other cities in both carolinas COMBINED. I'm not trying to blow charlottes horn here, but having been involved in the nightlife scene there for awhile, i can truely say the nighlife there is unparalleled.

AMEN! :thumbsup:

Archived