2004 SC Metro Population Est.

Spartan

Calhoun County (St. Matthews is the county seat) is still VERY rural. Sandy Springs in the northern end of the county has a lot of Columbia commuters (living in a rural and not suburban setting). Cameron in the southern end of the county has a lot of Orangeburg commuters. St. Matthews has a lot of both. The county was actually briefly part of the Orangeburg Micropolitan Area when it was first defined, but then it was added to the Columbia MSA. I think the county piggybacks on with Orangeburg County on things like the technical college, hospital, and jail. Basically though, it is a rural commuter community for both Columbia and Orangeburg. There is no real suburban growth in the county, though. It is a rural commuter area. And the northern end (a little piece that sticks into Lexington County) is pretty close to downtown Columbia and there is little traffic getting into the city from that side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All very true, that was one of the most interesting surprises I didn't expect from OMB's metro definitions - including a rural county that has historically lost population (maybe someone could verify or prove me wrong) that was extrememely rural. Essentially proving that metro definitions have no basis to determine a 'metropolitan area' in the sense of urban / suburban scaled development - but of an economic influence. I would like them to break out the metro regions in different ways than present - I have a problem including rural counties with little population growth in metro areas (the same can be said for a number of Atlanta's 20+ MSA counties).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All very true, that was one of the most interesting surprises I didn't expect from OMB's metro definitions - including a rural county that has historically lost population (maybe someone could verify or prove me wrong) that was extrememely rural.  Essentially proving that metro definitions have no basis to determine a 'metropolitan area' in the sense of urban / suburban scaled development - but of an economic influence.  I would like them to break out the metro regions in different ways than present - I have a problem including rural counties with little population growth in metro areas (the same can be said for a number of Atlanta's 20+ MSA counties).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I absolutely agree with your MSA comments. The ONLY thing a county's inclusion in an MSA means is that at least 25% (I think that is the correct number) of the workers commute to a core county in the MSA. That is it. The specific county may totally rural without any significant subdivision or strip shopping center. MSAs define economic related areas via commuting patterns. They say nothing about the level of urbanization or suburbanization in the specific counties. That is why I still find urbanized area statistics much more interesting when discussing urbanization. BTW, Calhoun actually is growing a little bit. It is Saluda County in Columbia's MSA that is currently loosing population. But Calhoun, Saluda, and Fairfield are all VERY rural counties where a lot of people who live in a rural setting drive into Richland or Lexington Counties for jobs.

Lower Richlnad has a large flood zone, and it is fairly swampy. I doubt we will ever see any significan't growth there. Hopefully none will occur in the flood zone.

LowerRich.bmp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully - what is helpful is Richland County's village plan (was this implemented?) would provide a major greenspace buffer in the southern portion of the county.

As I understand it, the Town & Country Plan is not law, its just a suggestion. Council members are not obliged to follow it, thought many do or at least try to when they approve construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

town and counrty is not law in itself, but it is the basis for the land use and zoning plans for Richland County.

The growth in Columbia suburbs (while coincidentally following the interstates) is really geared to school districts. The growth is in Richland 2 and Rich/Lex 5.

town and counrty is not law in itself, but it is the basis for the land use and zoning plans for Richland County.

The growth in Columbia suburbs (while coincidentally following the interstates) is really geared to school districts.  The growth is in Richland 2 and Rich/Lex 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true and there is actually alot of infill development going on in-town now, too.

• 1 month later...

It is true that Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson are separate areas, but because Greenville actually spills over into the surrounding counties it creates the bond that holds that CSA together.

Very true. Here at the MPO, we look not only at Greenville County, but we are now including areas of Pickens, Anderson, and Spartanburg counties. We are in the process of developing a TransCAD network model to assist us in some of our long range trans planning functions. We decided it makes much more sense to include areas of these adjacent counties; we'll get a much more accurate model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I need to start updating this list to the 2005 numbers. In the mean time, here are some stats for you to chew on.

1 year statistics - change since 2004

Change in population:

South Carolina: 57,191 ... 1.4%

Upstate CSA: 12,969 ...... 1.1%

Greenville MSA: 7,334 .... 1.3%

Columbia MSA: 9,839 ...... 1.4%

Charleston MSA 11,427 .... 2.0%

Biggest Population Gain:

1. *Horry County: 9,357

*York County: 6,461

*Greenville County: 6,354

*Dorchester County: 5,654

*Richland County: 4,481

*Lexington County: 4,411

Largest Gain Percentage:
  1. *Dorchester County: 5.3%

*Horry County: 4.3%

*York County: 3.5%

*Beaufort County: 3.0

Biggest Population Loss:
  1. *Willismsburg County: -442

*Marlboro County: -307

*Darlington County: -242

5 year statistics - change since 2000 Census (April 1)

South Carolina: 243,071 ...... 6.1%

Upstate CSA: 57,430 ...... 5.1%

Greenville MSA: 31,311 .. 5.6%

Columbia MSA: 42,720 ... 6.6%

Charleston MSA 45,866 .. 8.4%

Biggest Population Gain:

1. *Horry County: 30,363

*Greenville County: 27,767

*York County: 25,483

*Charleston County: 20,339

Largest Percent Gain:
  1. *Dorchester County: 17.1%

*York County: 15.5%

*Horry County: 15.4%

*Beaufort County: 14.0%

Biggest Population Loss:
  1. *Williamsburg County: -1,822

*Union County: -1,342

*Bamberg County -778

And just for kicks, here is the normalized 5 year growth for our major metro. What you are seeing is the population of each metro represented as a percentage based on its 2000 population (July 1). This way, you aren't seeing percent growth factor in as much.

SCPopulation-normalizedgraph.jpg

Nice work Spartan I see you got excel down pact! It's cool to see that Richland Co. is begining to pick back up again can't wait too see those numbers in 5 years! Not surprised to see Charleston and Horry leading the pack. It's interesting to see those same areas leading in % population growth since 2000 are also leading in economic growth from 93-03.

I don't think it's a surprise that Charleston is growing faster. With increased outsourcing, port cities across the country are booming. Stuff may be built elsewhere, but it's still all being bought here. Longer-term prospects for population growth in Charleston are even stronger. As the baby boomer generation retires, more and more people will be purchasing homes in the most desirable places, often the same places that attract tourists.

edit: typo

• 4 weeks later...

That map is acutally a bit dated.They updated it in 04 I think. This list is the updated version of the Combined Statistical Area. While its true that our CSA was split at one point, it has since been redefined. Probably for political reasons (the Upstate needs to be unified). The MSA's are still separate though. I don't know if there is a map that reflects the changes or not.

273		 Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC Combined Statistical Area		 

273  11340	 Anderson, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area

273  23500	 Gaffney, SC Micropolitan Statistical Area

273  24860	 Greenville, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area

273  42860	 Seneca, SC Micropolitan Statistical Area

273  43900	 Spartanburg, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area

273  46420	 Union, SC Micropolitan Statistical Area

• 3 weeks later...

Archived