Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16707847.htm

So, we're not the worst state in the area for bridge conditions, but we're definitely not doing very well. Coincidently, it seems that every major intersection in the Cola metro that is a bridge (ie US 1 and 26, 20 and 26, 126 in general) is either functionally obsolete or over capacity and outdated.

SCDOT doesn't have the money to replace any and actually barely has enough money to repair a few of the bridges throughout the state. I did some researching through the AAA site and come to find out that most of those bridges/intersections are planned to be replaced, but the question remains, how long is it going to take and what is going to have to happen to make the DOT wake up.

So, we're not the worst state in the area for bridge conditions, but we're definitely not doing very well. Coincidently, it seems that every major intersection in the Cola metro that is a bridge (ie US 1 and 26, 20 and 26, 126 in general) is either functionally obsolete or over capacity and outdated.

SCDOT doesn't have the money to replace any and actually barely has enough money to repair a few of the bridges throughout the state. I did some researching through the AAA site and come to find out that most of those bridges/intersections are planned to be replaced, but the question remains, how long is it going to take and what is going to have to happen to make the DOT wake up.

Aren't they talking about redoing malfunciton junction soon?

The same is true of major roads in and around Greenville. With the exception of I-385 from I-85 into downtown (which was completed most recently), our road conditions are an abomination and an embarassment. I travel I-85 very frequently and have mastered the art of evading most of the larger potholes and cracks, though many are simply unavoidable. Sadly, having to pay for an alignment is all too commonplace these days, and no relief appears to be in sight. From the post above, and others I have read relating to roads in the Charleston area, I gather that this problem is not restricted to the Upstate alone. As a loyal taxpaying citizen of the state, I would love to know how long before this "nightmare" will end. Believe me, if I could avoid driving the interstates altogether, I would do so, but that would never be a threat if our money was spent on necessary road maintanence the SCDOT is responsible for. I am sick of weak excuses. If they can't or won't spend my money on projects that will benefit my living here, then I would rather keep the the money and spend it on maintaining my vehicles.

Every interestate in SC has this problem. Interchanges and everything.... The exceptions are where new interchanges have been built to replace the substandard ones. In Spartanburg they decided that it was cheaper to build a new interstate bypass than to replace/upgrade the existing road & exits. I hope this is not the solution for the rest of the state. I think that if DOT were accountable to like the governor then you'd see are more concerted effort to improve the situation because he would catch a lot of fire for not doing anything... right now, you can complain all you want but there are no elected officials in charge of it that the everage citizen can influence.

"Flip That House," not to be confused with "Flip This House," is the most-watched show on the TLC channel and it is coming to Columbia. It will be the show's first visit to South Carolina. At the beginning of the show and immediately after each commercial, it shows quick shots of the city to give you a feel for the market they're in. It will start taping next week and will air later this year.

Greenville already has been the location for an episode of "Flip This House." Good to see them coming back. :shades:

"Flip This House" started in Charleston. Good to see they've been in Greenville, Skyliner. They've also been in Columbia. But "Flip That House" is a different show on a different channel. It is the most watched show on whatever channel it is on (HCTV or TLC or something). And this will be their first visit to South Carolina. They chose South Carolina because they wanted to be somewhere "more realistic" as far as housing prices are concerned so that they can appeal to an even wider audience. They've only shot shows in Los Angeles and maybe in one or two other extremely pricey markets.

I find it interesting that they chose Columbia, because only about a year ago Columbia was written up in the Los Angeles Times in an article about "greener pastures" and best-bet real estate markets for the future. That article was about the out of sight prices in California's saturated market, as well as neighboring states' housing markets, and they featured about 10 cities where they said you can't go wrong. I can try to find the article and post it. A year ago I didn't know how to.

The Central Midlands Council of Governments just posted new demographics numbers on their website on 3/1/07. They say Columbia's population in 2006 was 122,819 and project that it will be 128,018 in 2011.

http://www.centralmidlands.org/pdf/Columbia.pdf

I tried finding the article on Columbia from a year or so ago in the LA Times by searching their archives, but I couldn't come up with it. Sorry.

The link to the CMCG also contains some interesting information on the racial makeup of Columbia in 2006 compared to 2000, as well as the projected racial makeup for 2011. It looks like white flight in the Capital City is history.

Edited by CorgiMatt

The Central Midlands Council of Governments just posted new demographics numbers on their website on 3/1/07. They say Columbia's population in 2006 was 122,819 and project that it will be 128,018 in 2011.

http://www.centralmidlands.org/pdf/Columbia.pdf

I tried finding the article on Columbia from a year or so ago in the LA Times by searching their archives, but I couldn't come up with it. Sorry.

How strange, I had looked for Columbia's population figures two days ago (ors2state.sc.us, sc.community.profiles, quickfacts.census, etc), but I hadn't seen this. It was really published the following day. Thank you !

Wow, I though at 119,000 maximum in 2007 with the previous % change, but it's already 122,819 in 2006 ! The projections can be scaled up ! :yahoo: