Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

What is it with the people that post comments on the The State website? Why is it that all the lunatic fringe in the area feel compelled to post their extremely xenophobic, agoraphobic, and misanthropic rants for all to read? I read the comments on a few articles when this service first began, and even posted once in a vain attempt to enlighten someone, but have now given up on reading them. It's too bad because the comments service could be a great way to spark community dialogue, but it just always seems to devolve into a rant.

I am aware that it is rather ironic to conclude my rant by complaining about other people's rants...

Usually on sites like that it is only the people that get pissed off who post. Thats why we have UrbanPlanet. There are a few sensible posters there. Unfortunately its hard to identify how many there are since all you have to go by is a post number. It could be two or three people posting all of that for all we know.

I gave up reading online news outlets "reader responses". It only frustrated me and pissed me off. The only threat they pose is to your bloodpressure and the slim chance that a city council member or the like will actually take these comments to heart.

I wonder if The State ran an article about how much columbia sucks and it should just stop trying to develope anything, if people would state to post positive comments.

What ever happened to that water park in St Andrews that they were talking about?

This is a great idea,a nd definately an example of something the city is doing right :)

There is some sort of water park in Saluda Shoals Park near Irmo. I'm not sure what it contains, however.

What is the 2005 population estimate for columbia right now? I've heard 117,000 and 121,000. Which one is it? :blink:

I think the city's estimate is 121K and the census bureau's estimate is 118K. The metro estimate is 695K and CSA estimate 733K, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Weren't they trying to preserve some of Lake Murray? If not, if feel sorry for anyone north of I-20. Have fun drinking your purified run-off and boat exhaust. :sick:

Seems as though lexington is one of the fastest growing counties and least progressive from mass transit to this!!!! Columbia is it's on island.

Wow...This seems like a large area. Is this the Department of Mental Health or something. Anybody know what this area that has been annexed last week is? It seems pretty big...Pisgah Church Road is almost near Hardscrabble

6. Ordinance No.: 2006-062 - Annexing State parcels bounded by I-20; Hwy 21 (North Main Street / Wilson Boulevard); Pisgah Church Road; Parklane Road and Farrow Road, Richland County Tax Map # 14400-01-01; 14403-03-01; 17101-01-02 and 17102-01-01; LESS AND EXCEPTING property known or formerly known as Meadowlake Park (being portion of the southwestern corner of Richland County Tax Map Sheet 14400, Block 01, Lot 01) and a ten (10

Edited by sonofaque86

I found Pisgah Church Road on the map. That is the area of state-owned land including mostly SCDMH land. I don't know if the state is going to sell part of it for development or not, but I would imagine the patients at those facilities would count in city population figures now. That is good for population growth, but not for average income. I guess it doesn't hurt to add a few hundred residents this easily.

The annexed area

Edited by waccamatt