Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

I am familiar with a three story building on Bull near Taylor, next to an Enterprise car rental place, but the two bottom floors aren't boarded up. They have newer windows in them and the third floor has the original windows. I do think I remember seeing a no trespassing/residents only sign there. It's a red brick building with some tile work along the roof line.

I know exactly what building you are talking about. If that area were a bit more resident friendly it would make a great place to live. It could also make a good smal office building now.

More people are apparently getting it, and are being outspoken about it. From today's Letters to the Editor in The State:

Parade of Homes leads to more sprawl

I was impressed by the Parade of Homes. The houses were what most of us dream about.

What impressed me most was the lack of community planning. What was described as only minutes to downtown Columbia was a 35-minute commute in light traffic with no delays (twice my current commute). I hate to imagine rush hour with an accident.

I kept wondering where I would shop for groceries, get home-improvement products, rent a video or check out a book from a library. If my car failed to start in the morning, how far would I have to tow the car for repairs? How would my kids get to school, the park or to visit friends? The worst-case scenario would be if I had to evacuate my family, as there is only one road out.

Aside from the half-million-dollar-plus cost of a house, all of these questions have economic and social costs.

The current policy of

Don't know if you guys saw this in the paper today but Columbia along with the coast has the states first legal tatoo parlors. I know my cousin for awhile was an underground tatoo artist. Maybe he will be one of the first in the upstate to open shop.

Tatoos in Columbia

Good news!! I've always dreamed of the day I could get a tattoo here instead of driving to Augusta or Charlotte. I'm glad to see S.C. capitalizing off this.They need to come out with a comercial to get the word out. Now columbia needs to banish those blue code laws and no alcholic beverages sold on sundays.

Edited by 803metlife

Good news!! I've always dreamed of the day I could get a tattoo here instead of driving to Augusta or Charlotte. I'm glad to see S.C. capitalizing off this.They need to come out with a comercial to get the word out. Now columbia needs to banish those blue code laws and no alcholic beverages sold on sundays.

Columbia doesn't set the blue laws, the state does. We voted to remove the blue laws in Columbia and Richland County, which is why retail businesses in the county can open at whatever time they want to, while in Lexington County they can't open until 1:30. Unfortunately, the state law does not allow us to have beer and wine sales in stores on Sunday, only in bars and restaurants. Some coastal counties are exempt from the blue laws because they bring in a certain amount of accomodations tax revenue. Richland County does not quite reach that criteria.

Why do we have blue laws? Is it because Sunday mornings are for church only. These laws need to be abolished immediately as it violates separation of church and state. A retailer should be allowed to open for business on Sunday morning if they so choose.

Something's in the air. Actually it seems that maybe something is about to be not in the air. USC just announced a smoke-free policy that will start August 1, and The State is reporting this morning, including comments from Bob Coble, that the city seems to be leaning toward following suit.

Columbia doesn't set the blue laws, the state does. We voted to remove the blue laws in Columbia and Richland County, which is why retail businesses in the county can open at whatever time they want to, while in Lexington County they can't open until 1:30. Unfortunately, the state law does not allow us to have beer and wine sales in stores on Sunday, only in bars and restaurants. Some coastal counties are exempt from the blue laws because they bring in a certain amount of accomodations tax revenue. Richland County does not quite reach that criteria.

I wonder how does Aiken and North Augusta exempt from the no alcholic beverages sold on sunday law.. I was surprised after visting North Augusta that beer was sold in stores on sunday.

I wonder how does Aiken and North Augusta exempt from the no alcholic beverages sold on sunday law.. I was surprised after visting North Augusta that beer was sold in stores on sunday.

Maybe some stores choose to disobey the law? I know we voted on a referendum years ago to remove the blue laws in Richland County, but I remember reading we weren't allowed to remove the part about beer and wine being sold in grocery stores on Sundays. Other than that no blue laws remain in Richland County.

Maybe some stores choose to disobey the law? I know we voted on a referendum years ago to remove the blue laws in Richland County, but I remember reading we weren't allowed to remove the part about beer and wine being sold in grocery stores on Sundays. Other than that no blue laws remain in Richland County.

I heard Aiken got away with it because of the horse racing... but I still don't see how that draws enough tourist to validate it.

I feel that the laws should be removed. It's always a loop hole. Most people know someone on base or has a militarty I.d. to purchase alcholic beverages on base. And this law also leads to criminal activities such as bootleggers. I just don't see the purpose of it.When you can go to a bar or club to purchase alcohol but not from a convient store.It just seems a little backwards.And were almost the only south eastern state with this law still existing.

:wacko:

The state revised the Blue Laws a few years ago that allowed any city that had passed a referendum within the last 10 years to sell alcohol on Sunday. Columbia voters have voted on and passed numerous referendums over the years but not within the last 10. All we need to do is get a few thousand signatures on a petition to get it on the ballots. I have no doubt that it would pass, as it has in the past. Unfortunately people are just content with it and it hasn't become an issue. I'm not 100% sure on the total number of singatures needed to get it on the ballot but I think it's somewhere between 2,000 and 6,000.

It's not a SE state, but Penn. has some crazy laws involving booze. You can only buy beer from "Distributers" or bars. A buddy of mine was up there not too long ago, and I was amazed at the fact that he had to go to a bar to buy a 6 pack. Conneticut has some pretty bad blue laws to, or so I hear.

Also, I had no clue that in NC, or at least Charlotte, you could take you're drinks with you if they can be sealed. The first night I moved up here, I went with my family to Olive Garden. We ordered one of the house wines, and the waitress told us that if we didn't finish it, we could take it togo. We were shocked that it was legal.

Then a few weeks later, I went to this cool spot in University City called the Wine Vault for happy hour. It's basically a wine store with some beer. You can walk in, buy some, and either take it with you or have them uncork it and give you a glass. They also allow you to keep the cork, drink some, and then cork it and take it with you.

I know this is really off topic, but I have a dilemma. I am having a large party at my house on Saturday night (the 15th) and my bartender didn't pan out. I'm paying $100 for a bartender to work from 7pm to midnight. They don't have to be a pro, but they do need to be over 21 and be able to mix a basic dring or follow instructions on what to make. This is for a Bastille Day Masquerade party so it will be a somewhat avante garde crowd. Does anyone know a reasonably responsible and personable person that needs a hundred bucks? Thanks. PM me if you know anyone.

Matt