Ingleside Tract project

gman430

Mindboggling is the only word I have to describe this proposed project: http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/nov/11...ive_scale61189/ It's 1,500 acres in size. Proposed by Weiser Cos. and Weber USA. Three times the size of Centre Pointe complex. The basic plans call for a 300-acre complex that blends big-box retail stores, office space, hotels, restaurants and maybe a supermarket and a movie theater. :ph34r:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mindboggling is the only word I have to describe this proposed project: http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/nov/11...ive_scale61189/ It's 1,500 acres in size. Proposed by Weiser Cos. and Weber USA. Three times the size of Centre Pointe complex. The basic plans call for a 300-acre complex that blends big-box retail stores, office space, hotels, restaurants and maybe a supermarket and a movie theater. :ph34r:

The "Press Conference" just ended. I was not there, but from what I hear, it smells like a fish. They used all of the popular buzz words for todays development (Green, Smart, Rapid Transit, High Density, Mixed Used, Sustainable, etc.), but it does not seem like the plan has been well... planned.

I will hold judgement until I learn more about the development. It sounds like design consulatants have been highered, I'm not sure what they've done.

The "Press Conference" just ended. I was not there, but from what I hear, it smells like a fish. They used all of the popular buzz words for todays development (Green, Smart, Rapid Transit, High Density, Mixed Used, Sustainable, etc.), but it does not seem like the plan has been well... planned.

I will hold judgement until I learn more about the development. It sounds like design consulatants have been highered, I'm not sure what they've done.

I agree. I don't see anything of this scale getting built in this economy. Retailers/restaurants aren't expanding right now. If they are, they're doing it very slowly. There was a proposed project in Greenville called the Point which was going to be 4.5 million square feet and cost $600 million. You can guess what happened to it. Then you have Killians Crossing in Columbia which did the same thing.

The other side of the argument is that by the time any construction actually happens, the economy will probably be moving in a positive direction.

This is an insane development scale though. I am not confident in North Charleston's ability to make this into a quality development that is more than standard sprawl. The fact that it has big box stores makes me skeptical.

North Charleston has been shopping around for this piece of land for quite a while now. I don't trust N. Charleston when it comes to urban development but I really like this plan.

Ingleside Plantation Development

""Plans include more than 3.6 million square feet of office, retail and residential space, some of which will be built as a new city center with higher density than downtown Charleston, officials said.

Developers said they are looking past the troubled economy and positioning themselves for better times. In fact, the plans are so forward-looking, they include a hub for rail transit

I don't like the Mayor's Son having such a big role on the development team. It seems like a conflict of interest and a way to get questionable design & construction standards through the development review process. I hope that pressure can be applied to the developers in order to make this a "progressive" development. (although in the current economic conditions, it may be hard).

Also, the mayor's quote regarding Cabela's backing away from the project because they couldn't get a tax deal bothers me.

"The governor will be gone in two years," Summey said. "I might come up with a Cabela's after all."

Has North Charleston even gotten the Noisette project up and running yet? What makes them think this can get going too? What I don't get about the whole area is they always seem to put out these grandiose project ideas, & don't seem to get any of them accomplished? How long have they been talking about Noisette or Magnolia? I haven't seen anything happen with those 2 big projects, and now this huge one in sprawlburbia gets announced? What would something like this do to the traffic on I-26 if it even gets built?

Actually Noisette and Magnolia both are coming along good. The Magnolia project has seen tons of old warehouses being torn out and leveled, the road network is being prepped still. Noisette has quite a few companies filling in the old warehouses on the old Navy Yard along with tearing down surrounding dilapidated buildings.

One thing to note about those two projects is they were aiming for the long haul. Both of them were projecting developments out to 2012 and beyond. They were both basically old brownfield type areas with huge abandonment issues.

Has North Charleston even gotten the Noisette project up and running yet? What makes them think this can get going too? What I don't get about the whole area is they always seem to put out these grandiose project ideas, & don't seem to get any of them accomplished? How long have they been talking about Noisette or Magnolia? I haven't seen anything happen with those 2 big projects, and now this huge one in sprawlburbia gets announced? What would something like this do to the traffic on I-26 if it even gets built?

Lets not forget that its not the city government thats doing these things. Its all private development.

It will only make traffic worse on 26. Thats why its important to set up a grid of connected streets so that the traffic impacts to the local streets are not overwhelmed with traffic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's an update on this project from CharlestonWatch's website:

http://charlestonwatch.com/2011/12/county_council_december_6.html#more

Charleston County Council has approved North Charleston's $120 million tax increment financial district (TIF) request for the Ingleside development which is being reported as a 2,090 acre site to entail 6 million sq ft commerical; 3 million sq ft retail; and 3.5 million sq ft industrial.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there is some major road work going on in that area. The completion of the Palmetto Parkway, from Ladson Rd to Ashley Phosphate Rd, and another one from Highway 78 over to the Palmetto Parkway. The Palmetto Commerce Park runs along these roads and seems to butt up against or be partly in the Ingleside plot. The Charleston area economy is doing fairly well over all but I'm not sure such a large project would fly yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived