Moving to Charlotte and I need advice...

mbamom

I am moving to Charlotte in the next few months and wanted to get some more information about living in the Uptown or Dilworth areas. Any help answering some of my questions will be much appreciated.

1. I have 2 children (age 2 and 4) and would like to find a family-friendly uptown neighborhood with good schools. Any suggestions? Are there many younger families living in Charlotte, or would it be best to stick with the northern suburbs?

2. Does anyone work at Lowe's in Mooresville and commute from the city each day? How long is the drive?

3. My husband will be working from home and would like to find a neighborhood where he can walk or bike to a local coffee shop, park, or shopping area. What areas would be best suited for him?

Thanks for your help and advice!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mbamom......I was in a similar situation, but I was moving within Charlotte. I ended up chosing Dilworth because we had a 4 year old at the time, and Eastover is an excellent elementary school, and superior to First Ward Academy. Depending on where in the neighborhood you live, you could live without a car for the most part. Latta Park is a grat park, and there are tons of kids there all day long. Certain streets in Dilworth have lots of kids, though some do not.

I know someone who drives to Mooresville in the mornings from the downtown area, and it takes them about 25 mintues.

As incredible as the intown neighborhoods are, add these North Mecklenburg developments/communities to your list...

Rosedale (Huntersville) ...a mix of housing, walk to two groceries, coffee, restaurants, hospital, immediate access to I-77. New school under construction.

Birkdale (Huntersville)...same as above except you can't walk to the grocery (yet)

Downtown Cornelius

Downtown Davidson

The commute to Lowe's from:

Rosedale: 17 minutes

Birkdale: 15 minutes

Cornelius: 15 minutes

Davidson: 10 minutes

You travelling against traffic as well...

WELCOME TO CHARLOTTE!!!

mbamom- dilworth is a great area to look for and the good thing is that your commute will be in reverse flow of the major rush-hour. in the AM- traffic flows into the city and the PM traffic flows out so you won't be hitting the brunt of the traffic on the interstates.

mbamom- dilworth is a great area to look for and the good thing is that your commute will be in reverse flow of the major rush-hour.  in the AM- traffic flows into the city and the PM traffic flows out so you won't be hitting the brunt of the traffic on the interstates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to save tons of money on insurance, taxes, and stay away from traffic and paying for stadiums, I'd suggest Fort Mill, SC

And if you want to enjoy not having to drive everywhere you go, have access to cultural amenities and public transit, and live in the midst of a beautiful city, look at Dilworth, Myers Park and Elizabeth.

One of the great things about living in town and commuting to Lowe's is that you will be traveling against traffic. I have three friends who all live in Charlotte (one in Dilworth, one uptown and one in Plaza-Midwood) who work at Lowe's and they have no complaints. If you moved to Ft. Mill as mediamongrel suggests, you will face a rush hour from hell on I-77 from the S.C line to uptown, then you have an additonal 25 miles to drive before reaching your office.

All malls, retail stores, discount chains, and things like that are near the outer loop which would take 25 minutes to get to.  So it's either take a while to drive to work or for shopping and amenities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This perfectly illustrates my on-going rant.....The Wal-Martization of America has led many people to believe that they are entitled to a large quantity of possessions as opposed to a high quality of life.

By the way, maybe I'm a stonecutter (for you Simson's buffs out there), because my secret shortcut allows me to get Southpark from downtown in 7 minutes. If it's further than 4-miles from downtown Charlotte, then I don't need it. (except my parents, the beach, the mtns, and the airport)

sort of rather face traffic then an extra $3000 in taxes each year.  also, he could always live in a northern suburb as well such as north of mooresville.  but SC taxes are so much cheaper.  Charlotte is great if you can afford to live in the city, but if this guy can than more power to him.  Paying taxes for a government that never changes things and having rich billionaires build stadiums and make middle income people pay for it just doesn't do it for me.  If these things didn't exist, I probably would pay a little more to live "in the city."  Also, miesian corners says you will be close th a lot fo things.  Well maybe cultural crap, but as far as amenities all there is in town is a Harris Teeter.  All malls, retail stores, discount chains, and things like that are near the outer loop which would take 25 minutes to get to.  So it's either take a while to drive to work or for shopping and amenities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh? SouthPark is nowhere near the outerbelt. As Meckenburg's biggest mall, it's a mere 4 miles from uptown. Construction of the new Home Expo and Target on the site of Midtown Square starts late this spring, as well as Grubb's redevelopment of Elizabeth Avenue (new 8-screen movie theatre, Whole Foods, Border's Books, 800 condos/apartments), the new Lowe's on South Blvd in Dilworth, and lastly EpiCentre with its 16-screen theatre, restaurants and shops uptown.

I have nothing against Ft Mill. I think Baxter is a great TND, although it would be nice if Springs Industries spent a little of their cash on downtown, instead

sort of rather face traffic then an extra $3000 in taxes each year.  also, he could always live in a northern suburb as well such as north of mooresville.  but SC taxes are so much cheaper.  Charlotte is great if you can afford to live in the city, but if this guy can than more power to him.  Paying taxes for a government that never changes things and having rich billionaires build stadiums and make middle income people pay for it just doesn't do it for me.  If these things didn't exist, I probably would pay a little more to live "in the city."  Also, miesian corners says you will be close th a lot fo things.  Well maybe cultural crap, but as far as amenities all there is in town is a Harris Teeter.  All malls, retail stores, discount chains, and things like that are near the outer loop which would take 25 minutes to get to.  So it's either take a while to drive to work or for shopping and amenities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like living in Charlotte.

We also have two children and looked in the Dilworth, Cotswold, Elizabeth and other neighborhoods. We chose Elizabeth and are located 1.5 miles from Tryon St.

Elizabeth is a great neighborhood.

We are clsoe enough to downtown to take advantage of it, not face too much traffic and enjoy a neighborhood. And we have good access to major thoroughfares.

There are many great parks and greenspaces in Charlotte.

We also have two children and looked in the Dilworth, Cotswold, Elizabeth and other neighborhoods. We chose Elizabeth and are located 1.5 miles from Tryon St.

Elizabeth is a great neighborhood.

We are clsoe enough to downtown to take advantage of it, not face too much traffic and enjoy a neighborhood. And we have good access to major thoroughfares.

There are many great parks and greenspaces in Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Elizabeth is a great neighborhood - if I returned to Charlotte, Elizabeth would definitely be at the top of the list... and, there are still some bargains in the neighborhood.

Archived