Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

The Beach needs to obtain that corridor as well in its city borders. This could also work for light rail in the future. I would rather not use eminent domain unless it were absolutely necessary. That would set a bad precedent for a city that is already mostly against it.

It is just amazing how forward thinking Norfolk is these days and yet Va Beach seems to languish and wonder what to do in situations. It frustrates me to no end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its the suburbia thinking is all. Norfolk is looking into the future with ubanization on their mind. If the damn cities would just work as one just on this issue of mass transit it would be beneficial for all of us.

HRT happy with start of plan to lure bicyclists

I wouldn't mind riding my bike and taking the bus I guess....although I don't know how I'd feel with my bike on the front of the bus, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the way some of those HRT drivers drive I'd be afraid my bike would get smashed into an SUV or something. I rode an HRT bus today (#47 from Churchland to downtown Portsmouth). This woman asked me why I was on the bus. I said to get downtown. She continued, "why are YOU on the bus?" We kept going back and forth and she couldn't understand why I (young white guy) was using the bus!

NJ TRANSIT has bike racks on their buses and they're often loaded up with bikes. Hopefully it will make transit easier for people (even white people!) to use here!

With the way some of those HRT drivers drive I'd be afraid my bike would get smashed into an SUV or something.  I rode an HRT bus today (#47 from Churchland to downtown Portsmouth).  This woman asked me why I was on the bus.  I said to get downtown.  She continued, "why are YOU on the bus?"  We kept going back and forth and she couldn't understand why I (young white guy) was using the bus!

NJ TRANSIT has bike racks on their buses and they're often loaded up with bikes.  Hopefully it will make transit easier for people (even white people!) to use here!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I've never rode a bus in Hampton Roads, but is it true that a majority of the riders are black? Is that what she was implying?

LOL! I've never rode a bus in Hampton Roads, but is it true that a majority of the riders are black? Is that what she was implying?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As it happens I was the only white person on the bus (though there were only 8 people onboard). I think she was either (A) out of her head, or (B ) implying that white people don't ride the bus so something must have been wrong with me.

Edited by lammius

As it happens I was the only white person on the bus (though there were only 8 people onboard).  I think she was either (A) out of her head, or (B ) implying that white people don't ride the bus so something must have been wrong with me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats not entirely true in Norfolk. I use to ride the bus all the time and true i was a minority on it but there were other white people on the bus.

Thats not entirely true in Norfolk. I use to ride the bus all the time and true i was a minority on it but there were other white people on the bus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I think she was just implying that white people don't usually ride the bus, not that they never ride the bus. It is strange though. I guess because I'm white middle class, I would never dream of riding on a bus. The only times I have are for school. Even in Japan I have yet to ride the bus, and they are everywhere. Maybe I should try it soon....

Yeah I think she was just implying that white people don't usually ride the bus, not that they never ride the bus. It is strange though. I guess because I'm white middle class, I would never dream of riding on a bus. The only times I have are for school. Even in Japan I have yet to ride the bus, and they are everywhere. Maybe I should try it soon....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its kind of fun and I was very low middle class so it was ride the bus or walk.

Do railroad tracks still lay in the rail corridor that VaBeach wants to purchase for BRT?  If so, why not just keep the rail in place and buy rail cars for a commuter rail system?  This would be cheaper, quicker to get up & running than pulling up the tracks and paving a road for BRT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because firstly there is only one set of tracks, and you'd need at least two, to have an efficient system. And I believe Norfolk Southern still owns the tracks, has offered them to the city, but at a price the city wasn't willing to pay. There might have been some progress on that last point since last I heard though.

Do railroad tracks still lay in the rail corridor that VaBeach wants to purchase for BRT?  If so, why not just keep the rail in place and buy rail cars for a commuter rail system?  This would be cheaper, quicker to get up & running than pulling up the tracks and paving a road for BRT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The rail is in bad shape and that is why NS abandoned it because it cost to much to fix. My father works for them and is pretty much the maintance foreman for rails and bridges.

The rail is in bad shape and that is why NS abandoned it because it cost to much to fix. My father works for them and is pretty much the maintance foreman for rails and bridges.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do they currently run trains on them now? I'd assume they're willing to get rid of the line, because it isn't profitable. Otherwise, they'd spend the money to upgrade the lines.

Anyway, why won't VaBeach just work with Norfolk to build the entire LRT line? The extra tax base the city would recieve coming from TODs would eventually pay off all of the money it would take to build it.

Do they currently run trains on them now?  I'd assume they're willing to get rid of the line, because it isn't profitable.  Otherwise, they'd spend the money to upgrade the lines.

Anyway, why won't VaBeach just work with Norfolk to build the entire LRT line?  The extra tax base the city would recieve coming from TODs would eventually pay off all of the money it would take to build it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They said they don't want the Norfolk Element coming over to the beach. The line hasn't been used in years. They closed a rock yard up by Oceana and haven't used it since. The yard moved to Norfolk.

In today's Pilot - The city of VB has decided indefinitely to delay possibly setting up BRT in the city instead to focus most of their attention on Oceana and its possible closure. Other council members agreed but some still to pursue some type of mass-transit system (can you say LRT? :) ). The city is going to see if they can use the $10 milliion dollars earmarked for the BRT to go toward purchase of the old Norfolk Souther corridor. Also they want to jumpstart negiotating with NS to purchase the corridor while Richard Maddox reminded them eminent domain could be an option if negiotations were unfruitful.