Seeking ideas for a knockout building in Prov.

ArtInRuins

This is an open call for ideas/drawings for a non-existent Art Museum in Providence, RI.

There is much new architecture flurry going on in my great little city (see this post for more info), but none of the proposed buildings are truly visionary. They are just more glass and steel that will look cool for the next few years or so, and then, just look plain. The new GTECH is boxy and very corporate, the new 110 Westminster is another tower, and the local Holiday Inn will get a facelift, but again, nothing new. Our mall was made to look old, and the Westin was too. The most intersting development on the way is the new RISD student center.

So if you have some ideas, check it out: I propose to post some ideas on my website, ArtInRuins.com, which locally gets 500,000 hits a month. I propose a "museum" (since we dont have one) for the site of the old Police/Fire station (photos here - a good photo is #8). I can send you more photos that are pulled back more if you are interested.

Something new... lets show the Providence community that we can start to ask for better architecture and better developments, and that we wont scare away interested developers by challenging them to think harder and design better.

Winners will be posted on a special page... maybe more than one, depending on the quality of the entries. URLs and emails can be posted for personal advertising, but this is for personal glory, and the possible betterment of the Providence skyline, nothing more.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I propose a "museum" (since we dont have one) for the site of the old Police/Fire station (photos here -  a good photo is #8).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My two thoughts for the old Public Safety Complex (which could actually be combined into one) are:

An Arts Centre. A place much like what AS220 does (AS220 could even be the ones to manage it) where artists have studio and office space, not specifically straight up fine artists either, but graphic/web designers and all sorts of creative professionals. The main fire truck bay would be a gallery/cafe space. The garage doors would be open in good weather and cafe seating and art would spill out into LaSalle Square. The parking lot along Broadway could be redeveloped into more artist space and/or apartments/condos.

Another idea that could work with the Art Centre idea is to have a public market on the parking lot part. An indoor/outdoor kind of tentlike structure built over the lot to protect vendors. All sorts of local artisans could rent space as well as a seasonal farmers market.

Ok...

First, I have not yet built the page, but I will. It will most likely be a special section, maybe part of Architecture, mebbe by itself.

Second, submit ideas to me. I like written ideas, but I think drawings might be most impactful.

Third, I dont expect there to be a deadline... rolling submissions. i am sure I will get more ideas after I post the images, so keep'em coming.

Here is a good pulled back photo of the LaSalle square site:

policestation01.jpg

And as I was going through my photos, I thought another good place to propose an imaginative "something" would be on the long neglected North Main Street, before Best Buy snatches a parcel:

sears01.jpg

So, sky is the limit. Literally.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a dead idea? Anyone know any architects I can get this ieda in front of? I spoke to Steve Durkee, but he's too busy (rightfully so). Anyone interested out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try "Two Ton" in Pawtucket...I bet they would be interested and put together some kickass renderings (though a somewhat unfeasible design) for the little WBNA affordable housing competition. The other young firm in that competition would probably be good as well, though I can't quite remember their name...TruthBox? something like that.

Donald Powers is doing some really great work right now, but I think his firm might be too busy as well, though you never know.

I'd love to submit but I don't think I have time right now. If you are looking for judges though... :D

Try "Two Ton" in Pawtucket...I bet they would be interested and put together some kickass renderings (though a somewhat unfeasible design) for the little WBNA affordable housing competition. The other young firm in that competition would probably be good as well, though I can't quite remember their name...TruthBox? something like that.

Donald Powers is doing some really great work right now, but I think his firm might be too busy as well, though you never know.

I'd love to submit but I don't think I have time right now. If you are looking for judges though... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of which - Does anyone know if the final design for the new WBNA project is online? I wanted to go to the meeting that they unveiled it, but I never get home in time to get to the meetings. Besides, by the end of the day My wife usually wants to hand off the kids for a bit :-)

Liam

• 1 month later...

I was told that the Memorial Hospital grabbed up the land on North Main Street....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean Miriam? They used to be in the basement of the Sears building... but moved out due to flooding. They built two new buildings down the hill, in the Shaws Plaza instead. Is Memorial another hospital that is interested in the area?

Do you mean Miriam? They used to be in the basement of the Sears building... but moved out due to flooding. They built two new buildings down the hill, in the Shaws Plaza instead. Is Memorial another hospital that is interested in the area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must be Miriam. Memorial is in Pawtucket.

Must be Miriam. Memorial is in Pawtucket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is Miriam. They still own the Sears Building and some other sites on Main Street. They are about to begin construction of an expansion in one of their parking lots adjacent to the hospital as well. Like with all of the kinda mixed up Lifespan Hospital, if they have a master plan, I don't get it...

- Garris

It is Miriam.  They still own the Sears Building and some other sites on Main Street.  They are about to begin construction of an expansion in one of their parking lots adjacent to the hospital as well.  Like with all of the kinda mixed up Lifespan Hospital, if they have a master plan, I don't get it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, they just keep building and building... why dont they just knock the Sears building down and give the Summit Ave people what they want... a new facility that is not in their neighborhood. They could demo the Summit Ave facilty to create (gasp) houses. Could help keep other big boxes off N Main, too, and becomming a new Route 1, N Attleboro.

Archived