Greater Charleston Projects & Developments

Spartan

This article from P & C's Architecture section is a very interesting find about the old city wall. This would continue to add Charleston's name to lists of international significance.

City wall an exciting accidental discovery

BY ROBERT BEHRE

Of The Post and Courier Staff

Those hoping to unravel one of Charleston's biggest mysteries -- the appearance and location of the city's original walls -- very much enjoyed last week.

It began when Charleston Commissioners of Public Works employees dug up a small section of East Bay Street's sidewalk, exposing a two-foot by eight-foot section of massive bricks believed to be part of the Granville Bastion, the wall's southeastern tip.

The dig occurred just outside the office of Katherine Saunders, Historic Charleston Foundation's expert on the city wall...

"For Charleston, it would be great to find this wall," McKinley says. "Hopefully, with time, we can piece it together over time."

Saunders hopes if enough of the wall is located, the city eventually could mark its location on the surface, either with bricks in the sidewalk or some other way.

"Charleston is special for a lot of reasons," she says, "It's the only English walled city in North America, and that's of international importance."...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what the project leaders are saying in the article, I think they are talking about putting a brick path on sidewalks that represent the original perimeter of the wall. They would put a plaque or headstone at the beginning of it, I think. Don't quote me on that latter statement.

It is a cool thing! The problem with excavating the entire wall is that it will be around the Battery, and tearing up the only thing that prevents the Atlantic Ocean from washing up the beautiful homes there might not go over well with residents or preservationists. The brick path is a possibility. They are looking for it through radar signals sent into the ground...very cool technology.

OK, I tried to cut it down as much as I could, but there was a great wealth of material about this that I couldn't leave out. If you want to read the whole article from Charleston Business Journal, click here. It is only speculation, but imagine Charleston as the headquarters of future aviation projects! I never thought of that kind of potential, but it would be great if another plant came there.

Landing EADS

Area ideal for second aircraft plant

By MATTHEW FRENCH

Staff Writer

Just months after landing the Vought-Alenia aircraft plant in Charleston, the Lowcountry has another opportunity to secure a second aircraft manufacturing plant that could generate roughly 1,150 jobs over a six-year period.

The European Aeronautic Defense and Space Co., the world

I think this new development is good news. My problem is with the beginning of this article in today's paper. They immediately start it out with a resident west of the Ashley that is used to his rural lifestyle, but according to him, this development will ruin that.

It's like this newspaper wants to purposely start controversy with ANY building project! I have a newsflash for any resident in Charleston who complains about the growth: You live in a frickin' city! If you don't like it, MOVE!

This is another reason why the entirety of West Ashley should be in the city limits of Charleston. About 80% of it already is, and residents outside the limits still refer to their address as Charleston. Zoning would be clearer in conjunction with the urban growth boundary if everything were in the city, and there would be ONE branch of government that would be involved with the plans.

Carolina Bay developer to air plans

BY ROBERT BEHRE

...The proposed Centex Homes development, known as Carolina Bay would include five entrances to its 466-acre site, including a main road that would have a new stoplight on Savannah Highway. It is seeking permission to build 1,020 single-family homes, 500 townhouses and 250 apartment and condominium units.

It also would link up with Essex Farms, a separate Centex planned development already approved by the city of Charleston. Essex Farms, located off Glenn McConnell Boulevard, includes another 775 houses and apartments.

The Carolina Bay site lies within Charleston County's urban growth boundary, and both the county's planning staff and its planning commission thought the new, denser plan was a good idea. Both are recommending that Charleston County Council approve it.

Its overall density of 3.8 homes per acre is slightly less than the 4 homes per acre allowed under current zoning...

...The case could illustrate how tricky fighting sprawl can be. Even within Charleston's urban growth boundary, it can be difficult to reach a consensus on what areas should be developed at what densities...

...The Carolina Bay rezoning would allow about 1.2 acres of commercial development and would include about two dozen detention ponds to ensure that no more rainwater would drain toward the Stono River than currently does.

The county's Planning Commission approved it on the conditions that the developer build five separate roads leading into and out of the neighborhood and that the developer show the county that certain improvements are in place before lots are subdivided.

Carolina Bay isn't the only proposed development in this area that County Council will hear tonight. Developer Preston Hipp is seeking a planned development of 23 acres of commercial property and up to 212 apartments on 44 acres on just the other side of the Ponderosa neighborhood from Carolina Bay. The Planning Commission voted 4-3 to recommend denial for that.

Hipp said he understands that people are concerned about rising traffic, and justifiably so, "but if we're ever going to get mass transit to work, you've got to have the density."

And Hipp said that density belongs within the growth boundary, not outside it on Wadmalaw Island, Hollywood or beyond...

Some more good news that is added in with the restaurant opening. This area was in SERIOUS decay for a long time when I was growing up. I had to drive through there during my football practices, and it was just slum. This is an area removed from the historic district that could use a few newer, taller buildings around it. MUSC is taking care of some of that, but some other developers could take care of the "leaning" buildings that badly need to be demolished.

See entire article here

Cannon-Spring retail resurgence

Lana Restaurant latest to open in burgeoning area

BY CAROLINE FOSSI

The owners of a new dining spot at Cannon Street and Rutledge Avenue didn't advertise their opening two weeks ago. But somehow, word got out that Lana Restaurant and Bar was up and running in downtown Charleston, and hungry patrons showed up for the Mediterranean-style lunches and dinners...

...People familiar with the area say they aren't surprised: The restaurant at 210 Rutledge Ave. is part of an evolving area around Cannon and Spring streets that some believe is poised for a renaissance after years of decline.

Vacant, run-down buildings still dot the landscape. But businesses increasingly are eyeing the corridor for its relatively affordable rents and steady traffic. Cannon and Spring serve as main arteries for entering and exiting the peninsula, meaning cars pass through regularly...

...What's more, the city is planning a beautification project along Spring and Cannon streets that will include building new sidewalks, installing new streetlights, improving pedestrian crossings at intersections and planting trees. The project is expected to start this summer, city officials say...

...Robert Stehling opened Hominy Grill at the corner of Cannon and Rutledge almost a decade ago, when the corridor was full of vacant lots and "leaning buildings." Since then, he's seen a lot of the area's derelict houses being renovated, many to serve as rentals for MUSC and College of Charleston students...

...Gonzales says he's heard the Cannon-Spring area described as a fuse that's being lit on both ends -- from upper King Street to the east and MUSC to the west.

Challenges remain. Business owners said they'd like to see more parking options and redevelopment of abandoned buildings. As the area changes, some said they hope it can keep its unique flavor and racial mix...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I walked by the new restaurant last week. I was wondering what type of business was going to occupy the newly renovated building -- at first, I thought it was going to be an office; the restaurant was a nice surprise. It is amazing how much Rutledge has changed over the past year. There is a lot of renovation and new development taking place north of cannon street, which is really nice to see. Interestingly there are some new three-story homes that were built that are starting at $400,000. Those seem more than a little pricey, but this area is rising fast.

I walked by the new restaurant last week. I was wondering what type of business was going to occupy the newly renovated building -- at first, I thought it was going to be an office; the restaurant was a nice surprise. It is amazing how much Rutledge has changed over the past year. There is a lot of renovation and new development taking place north of cannon street, which is really nice to see. Interestingly there are some new three-story homes that were built that are starting at $400,000. Those seem more than a little pricey, but this area is rising fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The area is truly changing, but I do not like the high costs of real estate. MUSC and C of C students can rent those properties, but you need about 4 roommates just to afford it!

By the way, welcome to the forum, dude! You might notice in many of the posts that I'm not a big fan of N. Charleston, but only because of its existence. I thoroughly believe that the cities of Charleston and N. Charleston should merge and consolidate into one city of Charleston, but I don't know if that will happen soon. I'm thinking that when the Noisette and Neck projects eventually meet, that might be the catalyst to start the merger. I might be dreaming, of course! ^_^

By the way, welcome to the forum, dude! You might notice in many of the posts that I'm not a big fan of N. Charleston, but only because of its existence. I thoroughly believe that the cities of Charleston and N. Charleston should merge and consolidate into one city of Charleston, but I don't know if that will happen soon. I'm thinking that when the Noisette and Neck projects eventually meet, that might be the catalyst to start the merger.  I might be dreaming, of course!  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I moved to North Charleston about two years ago after living out on James Island. I understand your views towards North Charleston -- the leadership seems fairly weak, but there have been a lot of improvements even over the last year. This area has been depressed economically/socially for so long. I am also hoping that the Noisette project will be the start of a great future for the whole Charleston area. I see at lot of potential in North Charleston and the Neck Area. A merger between North Charleston and Charleston makes sense -- consolidate resources, etc. It makes sense, but I feel that North Charleston is going to be resistant to that idea.

...A merger between North Charleston and Charleston makes sense -- consolidate resources, etc. It makes sense, but I feel that North Charleston is going to be resistant to that idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right about that, but I think that it is split among the citizens there. Business owners and real estate investors would like the idea of Charleston's tax incentives, but some residents have some disdain for old "blue-blood" city leaders DT that have shunned them in the past. I think if the leadership on Charleston's City Council changed, you would have more North area residents that wouldn't mind being in Charleston proper. Let's see what happens 5-10 years from now! :thumbsup:

This is excellent news from the City Paper for residents, business owners, and commuters west of the Ashley River. This intersection has been a problem since I was a kid, and yes, that's about 20 years ago... :lol: Anyways, I hope they also decide to bury utility lines, put up traffic signals on painted metal poles, and increase the lighting in the area. This will increase safety and really make the intersection more attractive.

A More Bearable Intersection ... Maybe

The intersection of Savannah Highway and Magnolia Road in West Ashley will get a facelift sometime in the immediate future. The intersection, which has been a busy and problematic area for years, is planning to add new, slanted parking spaces, wider sidewalks, and two new turning lanes. The intersection has been the centerpiece for several businesses over the past few years. Gerald

I don't know if this has been posted yet:

Blighted center to get a makeover

"It cost $3.3 million to build in 1959. A local company recently snapped it up for $4.1 million.

The "it" in this case is Shipwatch Square, the first major freestanding shopping center in North Charleston, a city that would go on to become the retail juggernaut of South Carolina."

I think the East Side needs to change, regardless of what some people say. In this article, some people see urban renewal here as a bad thing because of "traditions" and "perceptions". What tradition is Councilman Campbell saying they want to keep? The tradition of the East Side of DT being the most crime-ridden, drug-infested corner of the city? I'm sorry, but my feeling is that if people can't keep their own property and neighborhood from falling apart, it might be a good thing to start over. As long as the people there get adequate compensation to sell their property, there is nothing wrong with this renewal of the East Side.

Impact of East Side renewal debated

Some fear higher property values will push out residents

BY DAVID SLADE

Where others see despair and decay, Gill and Keith Blandford see hidden beauty, great potential and the possibility of riches. The Blandfords are real estate investors -- among a growing number -- hoping to remake Charleston's blighted East Side.

The father and son are restoring a single house at Aiken Street and Hampden Court, in the heart of a neighborhood dotted with vacant, boarded buildings and known for street-corner drug dealing. They bought the place as a vacant shell for $82,000 last year and have listed it for sale at $325,000.

"Because of what we are doing, all the values (in the area) are going up," Keith Blandford said. "I believe in this area."

So do many others.

Development has been marching steadily uptown on the Charleston peninsula, bringing to the East Side people like the Blandfords who are creating new housing and rehabilitating eyesores. Speculators have come in, too, investors who buy properties hoping to quickly flip them for a higher price, with little or no improvements.

In the predominantly black and lower-income neighborhood roughly bounded by East Bay, Meeting, Chapel and Stuart streets, there is now both hope for urban renewal as well as fear that some residents will be displaced as rents and property tax bills rise...

...Developers say one of the big factors behind rising East Side property values is the planned demolition of the old Cooper River bridges, whose ramps, pillars and roadways now occupy a 10-square-block area in the most blighted part of the neighborhood.

The city has laid out plans for homes, shops, offices and a pond modeled after Colonial Lake where the bridge approaches now stand.

"Anyone who doesn't think that will have a phenomenal positive impact is kidding themselves," developer Robert Clement, whose company owns many East Side properties, said in a recent interview.

Those who live on the East Side will be watching.

I think Charleston will do great things wth this "new" area of downtown. I am excited to see what the results will be.

randy- you might want to consider posting some basic info like what the article is about when you link to an article. It will encourage more people to read it.

I think the East Side needs to change, regardless of what some people say. In this article, some people see urban renewal here as a bad thing because of "traditions" and "perceptions". What tradition is Councilman Campbell saying they want to keep? The tradition of the East Side of DT being the most crime-ridden, drug-infested corner of the city? I'm sorry, but my feeling is that if people can't keep their own property and neighborhood from falling apart, it might be a good thing to start over. As long as the people there get adequate compensation to sell their property, there is nothing wrong with this renewal of the East Side.

Exactly. The problem is poor leadership from the likes of Campbell. What has he done for the people of the East Side anyway? Besides nothing.

I drove through that area the other day and on one street there were piles of trash on the side of the road. This could be (and will be) a beautiful area.

I've also been saying this about my hometown's economy for quite sometime. It's going great, but it needs to be much better. Charleston really has the potential for greatness. I doubt it will ever reach the status of cities like Charlotte or Atlanta, but it has the potential to be a major city in the Southeast like Jacksonville or Raleigh. However, it needs to be more aggressive in its growth, particularly with businesses relocating there. I haven't read the report yet, but if you click on the website on the bottom, it will lead you there.

Entire article

Area urged to be more economically aggressive

Consultants lay out strategy for promoting development

BY JOHN P. MCDERMOTT

As if on cue, a laugh broke out in the audience Wednesday after the woman from Texas addressed something locals already know: Change comes more slowly in buttoned-down Charleston compared to most places. In response, the speaker, Amy Holloway, smiled from the podium at the Charleston Area Convention Center, where about 200 business executives, community leaders, educators and government officials gathered to hear her presentation.

"You're laughing," Holloway acknowledged.

But her astute observation about Charleston's cautious ways underscored a serious economic reality, she said. The resistance to change will likely hold the region back in the fast-paced pursuit of higher-paying, higher-skilled jobs, said Holloway, a principal with Austin-based AngelouEconomics. She said many communities that the consulting firm has worked with have been quicker to adjust to changing times and shifting markets. Charleston, by contrast, seems bogged down by what Holloway described as "inertia." "We'd like to see Charleston get a little more aggressive," she said.

Holloway's comment about change stemmed from a nine-month study her company just completed for the Charleston Regional Development Alliance, which promotes Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties as a business destination. The alliance is looking to adopt many of Angelou's recommendations as part of a new five-year action plan that it unveiled Wednesday...David T. Ginn, the alliance's chief executive officer, agreed, saying the report "indicates our economy is showing signs of danger, mainly because we have no deep clusters ... to help increase wages." The combination of low incomes and escalating living expenses is forcing more and more young, educated residents to move to other cities, Ginn said...

To read the entire 166-page report online, go to:

Forward Charleston

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to be a great development when it is completed. I have a BIG problem with its location right next to the Air Force base, but it still is good news that this project is progressing. Heh heh, you might notice a word that I purposely left out of this quote ;) , but click on this link and you'll get the full article.

Centre Pointe development adding offices, apartments

By Dennis Quick

Senior Staff Writer

Developers are mixing retail outlets with office space and housing in...Charleston

• 2 weeks later...

OK, last week, I got my spanking for posting copyrighted material, so I will do my best not to do it with this post. This article is from the new Charleston Business Journal, and it explains the economic development that is occurring DT on King Street. Robert Gibbs was hired nearly four years ago by the city of Charleston to analyze King Street

Some good news for additional jobs to ease the pain of the BRAC announcements for some Charleston closures which will take away a few jobs. Fruit of the Loom announced earlier this month that it will build a distribution center in the Lowcountry. The start-up phase after it is completed, which is predicted to be February 2006, will provide between 100 and 200 new jobs, and after the center is ultimately built out, it will have a workforce of 250 to 300 people.

The company said the region

Here is an excellent and latest example of "in-fill" development to reduce urban sprawl in my hometown: a pair of vacant lots in between the Radcliffeborough and Elliotborough neighborhoods in downtown Charleston will become Morris Square, a $25 million upscale development. The development is in the boundaries of Morris, Marion, Smith and Jasper streets, and extends north of Morris toward Cannon Street.

Sixty-four residential units are planned, including townhouses, condominiums and single-family homes, along with possible restaurant and retail space. Construction is scheduled to begin in six months and last about two years. Buildings will be as high as 4-stories (sigh, I just can't get them to build skyscrapers! :D ) and some townhouses will have rooftop terraces, which will be really cool. I'd like to have a residence where I could go on the roof and have a starlit dinner with my fiancee.

There are also plans for some small public space such as 2 parks, a piazza, and an imported Italian fountain which might be located in front of the planned restaurant space. This continued development for DT projects is really going to increase population down there and also increase DT's importance to the Charleston area. The link for the article is right here:

[url=http://charlestonbusiness.com/current/11_10/news/4446-1.html]Morris Square project meets housing

Archived