Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Yup, that's it!!  Thanks for finding it.  So it is a historical flag.  I think that's pretty cool looking myself.  I wonder how (and why) that house is flying a replica.  I wonder where they got one.  I actually like that flag better than our state flag...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So do I. I like the symbolism in our flag, but I've always thought it could use a little pizazz.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's OK, I think it was maybe in the off-topic section. Tazza on Westminster has free wireless access (you may even be able to capture it from their cafe tables on the street).

I'll merge this post with the off-topic posts later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do they really!? I didn't know that! The only place that I knew of was a place on Thayer St, and I don't even know if that's still open. Hopefully some day we'll be the only state to have statewide wi-fi access.

Three interesting urbanism articles in the New York Times this weekend. For those who might want to read, here are the links:

People fleeing the suburbs for even more distant exurbs (depressing):

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/15/national...xurb.html?8hpib

People being priced out of NYC are fleeing to Phily, the "6th borough!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/fashion/...s/14PHILLY.html

Calculate your real estate bubble at home:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/13/realestate/13froth.html

froth2.gif

Free registration required.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Here's a hilarious article from TheOnion.com (a news satire site) that should appeal to people here. It's:

City Coucilman Unearths Magical Zoning Amulet

article3319.jpg

Really funny stuff. My favorite section was, " LaMere became infuriated with timid suggestions that his amulet be used to create more green spaces. In a blinding torrent of thunder and light, LaMere violently rezoned Rochester's west side with a maze of warehouses and parking garages. The act left LaMere himself dazed and shaken."

They also did a funny article a while back that I can't find with the title of something like, "Hip Mill Building Lofts to be converted to industrial uses."

- Garris

Hi All,

I have been lurking :ph34r: on these excellent boards the past three months, ever since my wife and I bought a house in the Summit neighborhood.

We moved here 3 weeks ago, and are now semi-settled in, so I thought I would break my summer-long silence...

I have been lucky enough to have grown up in Burlington, VT and to have spent the past decade in Manhattan. That said, I can not say enough good things about Providence. :wub:

I am self-employed so we had flexibility in where we could live. Requirements included proximity to our New England-based families, some semblance of affordability, accessibility to transportation and especially Amtrak/Acela, art/architecture/cuisine, and kid-friendliness (although we don't have kids yet). Providence was a no-brainer for us. But what really sealed the deal was the sense of positive momentuum here -- it is palatable and downright invigorating. :D

I look forward to finally joining the dialogue, and thank you all for making these boards such a unique place.

PVDJack

I have been lucky enough to have grown up in Burlington, VT and to have spent the past decade in Manhattan. That said, I can not say enough good things about Providence.  :wub:

I am self-employed so we had flexibility in where we could live. Requirements included proximity to our New England-based families, some semblance of affordability, accessibility to transportation and especially Amtrak/Acela, art/architecture/cuisine, and kid-friendliness (although we don't have kids yet). Providence was a no-brainer for us. But what really sealed the deal was the sense of positive momentuum here -- it is palatable and downright invigorating. :D

I look forward to finally joining the dialogue, and thank you all for making these boards such a unique place.

PVDJack

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are most welcome

I went to waterfire last night with a couple of friends. We walked down from Wickenden, along south main and crossed over near the Turks Head building. I must be clueless, because I never knew that they had a live jazz band and a huge dance floor set up in the middle of the intersection. There were lot's of people dancing and the whole area had a such a festive atmosphere. it was truely impressive.

I must be clueless, because I never knew that they had a live jazz band and a huge dance floor set up in the middle of the intersection. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They don't have that for every WaterFire. There's also Jazz on Steeple Street during some WaterFires.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I joined up about a month ago shortly after finding this site and have found it to be extremely entertaining and helpful. I work in the highly regarded Providence Superior courthouse during the day and work the ramp at USAirways at T.F. Green at nights, downloading bags off the overnighters on the closing shift. I also fly out at a flight school located on Airport Road - Corporate Air - with Cessna 172's. I get a chance to fly over the city whenever I'm coming back in to land, either by chance based on my arrival routing, or I'll request a few orbits (especially with new passengers) to get a good look. I was thinking of creating a new forum topic, PVD Aerials to showcase Providence from the air. To the UP czars out there (Cotuit, Garris) does this sound like a good idea? How would I go about doing this? A Subfolder, new category?

To the UP czars out there (Cotuit, Garris) does this sound like a good idea?  How would I go about doing this?  A Subfolder, new category?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Garris is a czar now? :lol:

Just start a new thread for it, I'd love to see some aerials.

A winning design has been chosen for the redesign of the city's website.

Anne-Marie Harrington, Owner of Embolden Design

Winning Design

Runner-up:

Dan Chapman and Joe Alba

Second place design

Personally, I like the runner-up better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the winning design is too compressed and small, and it looks like it might use javascript... blech.

i really like the page the way it is, and the runner up page is very similar (probably why it didn't win), but makes it more "fun". B)

I don't want to be a Czar!! :ph34r:

I'd love to see a thread with photos from the air! Just be safe up there...

Regarding the webpage redesign, I can't say either one excites me (or is better than what exists now). The winning design looks depressingly like the webpage for my bank, Sovereign...

www.sovereignbank.com

Don't you think?

- Garris

I don't want to be a Czar!!  :ph34r:

I'd love to see a thread with photos from the air!  Just be safe up there...

Regarding the webpage redesign, I can't say either one excites me (or is better than what exists now).  The winning design looks depressingly like the webpage for my bank, Sovereign...

www.sovereignbank.com

Don't you think?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sovereign bank's site sucks (along with their poor internet banking services... oh how i wish wachovia would move to RI)....

i don't know why they need to redesign the page, it's fine the way it is... but the second design is far nicer than teh first...

Just saw some of the deepest water I've ever seen in PVD. I'd guess there was 8-10 inches in some places on the streets. Obviously in the low lying places only but still very impressive. On a few streets I couldn't see under a single car - the water was a couple inches above the bottom of the door sill. Rapids were everywhere too... anyone got a kayak? :whistling: