Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

so in my continuing (unfortunately) saga with DMV, it has been 30 days and i still have yet to receive my license

This process that the DMV uses now to issue license's is about 8-10 yrs old. Previously, you got your license right on the spot. They probably switched to a private company to save money. My bank, Citizen's Bank, use to issue and encode ATM cards right at the bank branch. Now they order it via a computer and you have to wait up to a week for it. For a fee, they'll ship it over night, which means 2-3 days.

Edited by Frankie811

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This process that the DMV uses now to issue license's is about 8-10 yrs old. Previously, you got your license right on the spot. They probably switched to a private company to save money. My bank, Citizen's Bank, use to issue and encode ATM cards right at the bank branch. Now they order it via a computer and you have to wait up to a week for it. For a fee, they'll ship it over night, which means 2-3 days.

i don't have as much of a problem with ATM/credit cards coming by mail because you have to activate them, which requires either making the call from the phone number that's registered with teh bank or using it at an ATM and entering the PIN. driver's licenses are automatically active. i imagine there might be a some sort of market for stolen licenses.

how much money can it save having them do it this way? i think it's a really outdated and ridiculous way to do things. unfortunately, i don't know what i'm going to do now because i am beginning to assume that i won't have my license before i fly to CA next friday. they said i can have it taken again free of charge (free if my 1.5 hours sitting in DMV waiting is worthless). and even still, i won't have the actual license for when i'm in CA, meaning i may not be able to drink or buy beer while i'm there (both part of my planned activities, as CA beer is supposedly really good, though i can't buy it here in RI) because they may not accept this stupid temporary paper license.

i doubt i'll get a response back from anyone that i emailed about this matter, but i felt that i needed to complain to someone.

i've heard lombardi (yes, the councilman) has a house in federal hill that he stops by once in a while, but spends most of his time in his house in cranston.

UP is the site of conspiracies (jen, you there?). i think hearing about this theory could be good to get us to band together to help prevent it.

john lombardi lives across the street from me, in the house he grew up in, and aside from the very few times he goes on vacation, he is at that house, with his wife, on Grove Street every single night. John may not be the sassy political animal you wish he was--but he's probably the first person i'd call if i ever was in a jam, and he has never hesitated to help me or anyone else in his ward who needed it. He helped us put together the very first adult swimming program in the community pool here in the neighborhood and last year we talked about ways to open up the tennis courts at classical for public use, something i see has been posted about in another thread.

It is one thing to try to dissect consipiracies (the cianci/paolino thing is truly delicious to anyone who has lived here long enough or did any research at all to know what kind of relationship they had); it is entirely another thing all together to post lies masquarading as "rumor."

and that, my friends, is one of the reasons why i don't post here anymore.

It is one thing to try to dissect consipiracies (the cianci/paolino thing is truly delicious to anyone who has lived here long enough or did any research at all to know what kind of relationship they had); it is entirely another thing all together to post lies masquarading as "rumor."

i didn't realize it was a lie or a rumor based on where i heard it. my apologies to you and councilman lombardi.

he's still a terrible speaker and seems to be one of those classic RI type politicians (though certainly not sassy).

john lombardi lives across the street from me, in the house he grew up in, and aside from the very few times he goes on vacation, he is at that house, with his wife, on Grove Street every single night. John may not be the sassy political animal you wish he was--but he's probably the first person i'd call if i ever was in a jam, and he has never hesitated to help me or anyone else in his ward who needed it. He helped us put together the very first adult swimming program in the community pool here in the neighborhood and last year we talked about ways to open up the tennis courts at classical for public use, something i see has been posted about in another thread.

Thats what I thought, thanks for clearing that up. I see him around Broadway all the time, it did not just seem to be his style to hang out here and then skulk away to Cranston.

john lombardi lives across the street from me, in the house he grew up in, and aside from the very few times he goes on vacation, he is at that house, with his wife, on Grove Street every single night.

Yeah, I see Lombardi around the area all the time, and his car parked at his house. Fun as they may be, conspiracy theories do tend to be a distraction from addressing the real issues at hand. . .

Say, Jen- is that swimming program going this summer? How do I get in on it?

Please come back to UP! You are missed!

So yesterday we went to Lake Compounce Park in Bristol CT to shoot some footage and record some audio for the Rocky Point movie. I hadn't ever been there before, but what a great old school amusement park! It's been around since 1846 (one year before Rocky Point) and is currently run by Kennywood who kind of specializes in the smaller old school family parks. Their landscaping is beautiful, the place is sparkling clean, and the prices arent all that bad either. They were super accomidating for us and gave us a guy to help us lug gear around and get us into good locations for recording audio. At the end of the day he usshered us to the front of the line to ride their supremely awesome wooden rollercoaster that is built into the side of a hill. Its really tremendous.

So yesterday we went to Lake Compounce Park in Bristol CT to shoot some footage and record some audio for the Rocky Point movie. I hadn't ever been there before, but what a great old school amusement park! It's been around since 1846 (one year before Rocky Point) and is currently run by Kennywood who kind of specializes in the smaller old school family parks. Their landscaping is beautiful, the place is sparkling clean, and the prices arent all that bad either. They were super accomidating for us and gave us a guy to help us lug gear around and get us into good locations for recording audio. At the end of the day he usshered us to the front of the line to ride their supremely awesome wooden rollercoaster that is built into the side of a hill. Its really tremendous.

We went there last year. It's an excellent park; great for families. My kids loved the water park and the roller coaster is fun too.

i had gone to lake compounce a long time ago when i was a kid. i saw the beach boys and the moody blues there. it used to be owned by hershey. i believe it's the oldest continuously operating amusement park in the country. they opened it for a couple weekends a year to keep that status when they were going through serious financial trouble.

Hey, was just wondering if anyone is in contact with Cotuit, and whether or not he is ok since he's not been online in the forum for several days. I believe he stated last week that he was suffering from an illness. Hope all is well.

I'm boycotting UP.

Help! Somewhere in this forum Cotuit posted information on how to post pictures here, but I can't find it. I'm all set with Flickr, but I don't know how to get my pics from there to here. I just bought my first digital camera and it's all new to me. :camera:

you have to link to the picture. there's a button above the reply box that looks like a green arrow with a + next to it. it's just to the right of the smiley drop down.

Help! Somewhere in this forum Cotuit posted information on how to post pictures here, but I can't find it. I'm all set with Flickr, but I don't know how to get my pics from there to here. I just bought my first digital camera and it's all new to me. :camera:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=235573

The interface has changed in the latest upgrade, but that should still get you through the process.

i find it amusing that you're the king of finding old threads, but you couldn't find that one... :rolleyes::P

I was waiting for that!!!!!!!!! I was really waiting for that!!!!! I knew it was coming. Believe me. I tried all morning to find it.

Edited by Frankie811

3 hour time differences suck! i'm starving because it's supposed to be dinner time, but it's only 4:00 here in CA. i've been awake since 6am EDT, and the last time i ate was at 10:30 CDT (unless you count the pretzels on the plane that i had at like 1:00 CDT).

and UCSD has nothing within walking distance! talk about sprawl (something i noticed coming into SAN). it's really pretty out here, but it's sprawl hell.

3 hour time differences suck! i'm starving because it's supposed to be dinner time, but it's only 4:00 here in CA. i've been awake since 6am EDT, and the last time i ate was at 10:30 CDT (unless you count the pretzels on the plane that i had at like 1:00 CDT).

and UCSD has nothing within walking distance! talk about sprawl (something i noticed coming into SAN). it's really pretty out here, but it's sprawl hell.

Nice to see you were able to prove your identification to the airlines. Did the state send you your license?