• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder, tonight:

Wayland Square Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting

Tuesday January 17, 2006

7:00 pm - 8:15 pm

Event Location: School One, Slater & University, Prov.

Street: 220 University Avenue (Slater Ave. entrance)

Usually held in the library on the bottom floor (basement). One block from Lloyd Ave. & Blackstone Blvd. Open to everyone.

- Garris

So I just upgraded to Cox Digital...and the quality of 10,11, & 12 actually got worse. Channel 10 (NBC) is almost unwatchable at times. Is this typical for everyone? The digital channels are perfect, and I understand that 2-99 are not digital but surely the quality shouldn't go _down_?? Having the major networks be the worst in terms of picture quality is pretty ridiculous.

So I just upgraded to Cox Digital...and the quality of 10,11, & 12 actually got worse. Channel 10 (NBC) is almost unwatchable at times. Is this typical for everyone? The digital channels are perfect, and I understand that 2-99 are not digital but surely the quality shouldn't go _down_?? Having the major networks be the worst in terms of picture quality is pretty ridiculous.

I don't have that problem at all. Maybe you should call the service dept @ 383-2000.

I have heard that if viewed on a higher-end television, i.e. plasma HD or the like, then the broadcast stations on digital cable look pretty bad. This is not an uncommon phenominon.

I have heard that if viewed on a higher-end television, i.e. plasma HD or the like, then the broadcast stations on digital cable look pretty bad. This is not an uncommon phenominon.

i've heard that digital television is a lot of times pretty bad quality since it's compressed or something like that.

That I could understand. I don't have an HD set, and the picture was bad (horizontal lines) when I still had basic cable but now it's ridiculous. NBC goes from bad to really bad, here's a pic of what it's showing now. I'm going to give them a call now.

0118061620small8xx.th.jpg

Edited by JJK5

^All fixed. Some problem with the cable within the wall, in case you were curious. :)

Glad to hear it. Yeah, after seeing that image, I realized that is not the distortion I've heard others complain about, but a completely different problem.

Has it just been me, or has UP been brutally slow speed-wise for the last couple of days? Just curious if others have been experiencing the same thing...

Yes, it has been. We've seen a much larger than expected increase in the number of members over the last couple months, and server upgrades that were supposed to last us some time, weren't up to the task. Basically like the Central Artery, our peak traffic time grew to include most of the day. We were waiting for the check to come in for ad revenues, but it became so intolerable, that Neo whipped out some plastic to float the site until the ad revenues come in. So last night we switched over to newer servers and the speed should be returning to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting fact I just stumbled upon: in Providence, 12.2% of people walk to work. That beats New York, Pittsburgh, and Seattle, some of the big walking cities in the country. Boston, the usual leader, comes in at 13%. So we're pretty close to the top in this category. This should be an incentive to city leaders to improve our pedestrian infrastructure.

Interesting fact I just stumbled upon: in Providence, 12.2% of people walk to work. That beats New York, Pittsburgh, and Seattle, some of the big walking cities in the country. Boston, the usual leader, comes in at 13%. So we're pretty close to the top in this category. This should be an incentive to city leaders to improve our pedestrian infrastructure.

I bet a lot of this has to do with Brown. I'm shocked at the number of people that I see walking to and from work on the East Sides on all of the sides streets throughout the day. There are also always a good number of people walking on the Pt Street bridge and on Eddy to and from the hospitals (despite how miserable the city tries to make that walk...).

- Garris

Admit it, you just HATE RIPTA! :lol:

A bus rarely passes me on my walk from Federal Hill to College Hill. I should tie a wagon to my waist and charge people for rides as I'm quicker than RIPTA :lol:

I was thinking of the whole pedestrian experience this morning as I (once again) walked in Atwells Avenue rather than on the sidewalks along Garibaldi Park and the Atwells Bridge. I knew I wasn't alone in my commuting mode, and apparently, very much so not alone. Whenever I walk from Downtown to Federal Hill, I always see other pedestrians. It's not a good pedestrian environment, but many people are walking it nonetheless. As we have more residential units coming online Downtown, there will only be more and more of us walkers.

Granted, the vast majority of the new Downcity residents, at least at the outset, would fall comfortably into the 'weathly' classification, and as such, most of them will have cars. However, these people will be choosing to live in an urban environment, there's no lack of million dollar condos in nearby RI and MA burbs if someone is seeking an auto-centric lifestyle. The new residents Downcity will be wanting to walk to dinner on Federal Hill (not sitting in the traffic that backed up off Atwells, onto Route 95 past the mall last night). They will want to walk to theatre and movies and shopping throughout the city, especially the near east and west sides.

Then there's also our conventioneers and other visitors, and the rest of the city's residents. We are all here, in part, because Providence is a compact, easily navigable urban environment. Visitors, conventioneers, and residents alike could all head to Sprawlopoli in the west and south if they didn't cherish Providence's compact navigability. If the city cannot maintain and expand that, then people that will give people one less reaosn to work, live, and play here.

I bet a lot of this has to do with Brown. I'm shocked at the number of people that I see walking to and from work on the East Sides on all of the sides streets throughout the day. There are also always a good number of people walking on the Pt Street bridge and on Eddy to and from the hospitals (despite how miserable the city tries to make that walk...).

There are a lot of Brown/RISD people who walk to work. But there are a stunning number of people who live a half mile to a mile away from campus who drive. They all seem to have two functioning legs too, the mind boggles. :unsure:

I was always amazed when I worked in Davol Square at the number of people walking between the hospitals and Wickenden Street. There would always be people in white coats, or scrubs walking to Wickenden for lunch, or apparently commuting to/from homes on Wickenden and in Fox Point. And there's not really a whole lot the city can do to make the environment there worse.*

*Except maybe build a series of elevated highway ramps over it, then hire a consultant that returns blank stares when asked about it.