• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two more photos!

This is another from my Waterfire visit last year:

waterfirebridgecopy1cl.jpg

This one is a panorama pasted together from three images of Waterplace from the Providence Place Mall. It might be helpful in picturing how it'll look with G-Tech in the lower right and the twin condo towers on the left:

waterplacepanorama7mg.jpg

- Garris

So green!!!

That pic of Waterplace actually has me feeling extremely hopeful about both GTECH and Parcel 2. Look how that river of green will flow between the two projects. Yes, GTECH is going to block off a bit of that Downcity skyline view, but the view from the mall is the least of my concerns for the city. The view of an active and dynamic Waterpace (not a drainage ditch surrounded by dusty fields) is going to be very compelling to visitors to the city who are here for the mall.

That pic of Waterplace actually has me feeling extremely hopeful about both GTECH and Parcel 2.. Yes, GTECH is going to block off a bit of that Downcity skyline view...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I posted the photo. Parcel 2 from that perspective will look great (especially at night) and really balance out the skyline from the North and NW. Unfortunately, I fear the G-Tech building will block out much of that view.

That brings up the question of what people at Mall level will see out of the windows there. I hope it isn't the air conditioning ducts and elevator shafts of G-Tech, or is it taller than that?

Great skylines, though, need places to appreciate them. Where does everyone think the best view of the skyline will be after G-Tech, Parcel 2, and OTW are done? How about after (if?) any of the Power Block is done (Hilton expansion, Westin, etc.)?

- Garris

Looking at this...

GTECHrend001.jpg

...I would say the mall view will be just below the GTECH roof so we shouldn't be seeing any equipment on the roof. I think a lot of the equipment may be in the tower anyway.

I think the best skyline views will remain from Prospect Park. I do wonder what impact Parcel 2 will have coming in on 95 from the north. From near the Marriott the view is interesting now, and Parcel 2 will sit somewhere infront of it, but be shorter than it, though foreshortening may mean it looks a similar height.

...I would say the mall view will be just below the GTECH roof so we shouldn't be seeing any equipment on the roof. I think a lot of the equipment may be in the tower anyway.

I hope so... One (bad) trick of artist renders is always to, um, forget to draw in the support equipment on the top of buildings...

I think the best skyline views will remain from Prospect Park....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly... Have you ever seen the skyline from the top of the Holiday Inn (future Hilton)? I always imagined that would be a good spot...

- Garris

PS: Looking at my panorama again, I'm realizing how much of a shame that AmEx building is... Something else could do so well in that spot...

Edited by Garris

PS: Looking at my panorama again, I'm realizing how much of a shame that AmEx building is...  Something else could do so well in that spot...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking at your panorama I'm realizing how much Station Park really needs to be formalized. There needs to be plantings along Finance Way to create a break in the windswept field.

I agree, its a beautiful area. I live and work on eastside, but I know sooner or later I'll be priced right out of there. but thats a whole other story ( gentrification )

If you've ever read any HP Lovecraft, many of his stories take place or are mentioned in this immediate area of college hill. One of his books, turned B movie- the opening shot shows the street sign for benevolent st...From Beyond or Reanimator, I cant remember. the shlock films made from his stories arent worth your time, but the stories are.

"The Shunned House" is on benefit st.

as the story (lovecrafts) goes and I dont know how much is true, Benefit used to be called Back st and was a little curved and twisted around a graveyard. either way, he describes this neighborhoods look and feel that is accurate and interesting. he is very wordy, but if you can get past that, he's one of the greatest writers of the genre.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/

I agree, its a beautiful area. I live and work on eastside, but I know sooner or later I'll be priced right out of there. but thats a whole other story ( gentrification )

If you've ever read any HP Lovecraft, many of his stories take place or are mentioned in this immediate area of college hill. One of his books, turned B movie- the opening shot shows the street sign for benevolent st...From Beyond or Reanimator, I cant remember. the shlock films made from his stories arent worth your time, but the stories are.

"The Shunned House" is on benefit st.

as the story (lovecrafts) goes and I dont know how much is true, Benefit used to be called Back st and was a little curved and twisted around a graveyard. either way, he describes this neighborhoods look and feel that is accurate and interesting. he is very wordy, but if you can get past that, he's one of the greatest writers of the genre.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For more on this, check out the Ghost Walks in October. He takes you on a walk down Benefit St and the surrounding neighborhood telling all the tales and legends that have graced Providence's history.

Here's a shot from a few days ago of Frances Street (that won't be changed by the presence of the G-Tech Building :D ):

francesstreet7aa.jpg

Happy Passover to all the Jewish UP readers! (this is an image from off the web :-) ). I hope all your seders were warm, family filled, and meanful. I took my recipes this year from the Suzie Fishbein's "Kosher by Design," probably the best cookbook I've ever used (Kosher or not). Amazing (and relatively easy) gourmet level recipes:

catpassover0vg.jpg

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Here's a shot from a few days ago of Frances Street (that won't be changed by the presence of the G-Tech Building :D ):

francesstreet7aa.jpg

Happy Passover to all the Jewish UP readers! (this is an image from off the web :-) ).  I hope all your seders were warm, family filled, and meanful.  I took my recipes this year from the Suzie Fishbein's "Kosher by Design," probably the best cookbook I've ever used (Kosher or not).  Amazing (and relatively easy) gourmet level recipes:

catpassover0vg.jpg

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent picture!

This picture should be hanging on my/everyones wall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!!! :)

Today's photo is particularly apt when it sometimes feels in the U.S. that members of every religious group want to impose their own version of their faith on everyone else (<cough> Bill Frist <cough>), here is a photo of the quote from the front of the Rhode Island State capitol:

capitoltextnight0jm.jpg

- Garris

Garris--You should sell that pic to the people at Providence Place and/or the Westin.  I can't imagine a better brochure shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That random wire needs to be photoshopped out though. What the hell is that wire? :huh:

Great thread, and great pictures!  I adore Providence, and next time anyone asks why I'll send them to this site.  I live right downtown, in the Conrad Bldg (why no pics of that yet? gold mine!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome fuchsia groan. You could take a picture of the Conrad Building for us. :hint: :)

Did anyone get out to photograph in the fog the night before last? It was spectacular! The fog was thick enough to allow the artificial light of the city to light up the sky but thin enough to be able to see buildings. At midnight on Wednesday, it was bright enough with the fog and light to be able to bring a book downcity, open it up outdoors, and read it. Open your aperture long enough, and you could get some absolutely unreal photos, as if you were on another planet... The sky was positively yellow...

I got some great shots at hours of the night (and early morning :) )I had no business walking around downtown... Here's a tiny teaser from about 11:00 PM that night...

fogcourttower14bp.jpg

Imagine what the skyline looked like :). I'm still going through the images now... More to come...

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Garris, you should post your excellent pics to the providenceri.com website. Great compositions, exposures, etc. They're as good or better than the professional photo collections that are already up there. Also would make a great calendar. (We need a good local calendar since the RI Tree Council stopped doing theirs.)

Personally I would love some pics of Westminster St.