Silver Spring

DHall

Silver Spring's is a new suburban business district under construction in Washington. I was impressed at the volume of retailers they have attracted alone.

Austin Grill

Panera Bread

Red Lobster

Macaroni Grill

Potbelly Sandwich Works

Eggspectation

Starbucks

Lebanese Taverna

Chick-fil-A

Cold Stone Creamery

Redrock Canyon Grill

Pier One

Men's Wearhouse

Bombay

Ann Taylor Loft

Ulta Salon

Borders Books

Storehouse

Discovery Communication's Worldwide headquarters is here.

This is a master plan for this development:

sillversprings.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the suburbs around DC are booming, yet DC itself is not. Some of the biggest suburbs in the DC metro are: Arlington, Alexandria, Silver Springs, Rockville, Reston, Sterling, Lorton, Largo, Bowie, Bethesda, and Mclean. All of the businesses build outside DC. Right now currently they are building office buildings about 5 to 10 stories high right by my house.

Yes, that is a big reason. If you ever go through the neighborhoods of DC you will see just how much of a slum it really is. Just take a trip through southeast DC and you'll see. Though they are trying to clean up the place, it is going to take a long time for them to improve. Also a lot of the people that live in DC are in poverty, but once you get out of DC it is completely different. Mclean in Virginia is the richest part of the DC area I believe. It is just weird because DC itself is so small but the metro is gigantic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

^^ yet another metro that is making me convinced we need metropolitan government with boundaries along the census metro lines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hah yeah that's what we need ... more regulation and gov't to keep businesses from thriving

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, DC is thriving.  It has perhaps the most amount of new construction going on in the center city than anywhere else in the nation.  Cranes are everywhere and housing prices are skyrocketing as young, affluent people move into the city.  DC is definitely doing quite well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with this statement. I just came back from visiting friends in DC and the place is booming in the district and in the suburbs. Areas in DC like Logan Circle, Shaw, Chinatown, and Columbia Heights have seen big turnarounds. Sure there are still large slums (especially in the NE section) , but great things are happening even in parts of those. Such as the revitilaztion south of Capitol Hill in the Eastern Market/Barracks area. And you wouldn't believe how many cranes are in the air all over town for new apartment buildings.

I totally agree with this statement. I just came back from visiting friends in DC and the place is booming in the district and in the suburbs. Areas in DC like Logan Circle, Shaw, Chinatown, and Columbia Heights have seen big turnarounds. Sure there are still large slums (especially in the NE section) , but great things are happening even in parts of those. Such as the revitilaztion south of Capitol Hill in the Eastern Market/Barracks area. And you wouldn't believe how many cranes are in the air all over town for new apartment buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love DC but the chinatown is ... disappointing to say the least. It's grossly artificial and really doesnt have that much chinese stuff except for the occasional imported triad gangster. What's with the fuddruckers in chinese?!?

Not having Marion Barry as Mayor has helped enormously. Anthony Williams has done a lot of work to entice developers to formerly blighted areas of downtown. The area around Gallery Place and the new MCI Center is thriving. As for SOutheast, Northeast and Southwest, these areas will eventually improve. Work is already progressing on the waterfront, though the splashy new Mandarin Oriental Hotel seems a bit marooned out there by itself on Maryland Avenue. Eventually, things will catch up. A lot of the land on the waterfront is simply being sat upon by investors and developers until things start moving. I expect all of them will eventually make a killing....

Archived