Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

I, too, was drawn to Providence Diamond Co. due to their advertising and location. What a mistake that was. When you're willing to spend $10-$15k for an engagement ring, the least you'd expect a jeweler to do is return phone calls, promptly follow-up, and try their hardest to find what you're looking for. Instead, I had to constantly call and hound them and they never ended up coming through with the ring I wanted.

Now, my experience was probably the exception rather than the rule (as my salesman didn't seem to on top of things) but I know I'll never step foot in there again.

I went with Joseph Gann Jewlers in Downtown Crossing, Boston and it was like night and day compared to Providence Diamond Co.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help with your question regarding repairs and re-settings, but I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, was drawn to Providence Diamond Co. due to their advertising and location. What a mistake that was. When you're willing to spend $10-$15k for an engagement ring, the least you'd expect a jeweler to do is return phone calls, promptly follow-up, and try their hardest to find what you're looking for. Instead, I had to constantly call and hound them and they never ended up coming through with the ring I wanted.

Now, my experience was probably the exception rather than the rule (as my salesman didn't seem to on top of things) but I know I'll never step foot in there again.

I went with Joseph Gann Jewlers in Downtown Crossing, Boston and it was like night and day compared to Providence Diamond Co.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help with your question regarding repairs and re-settings, but I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

thanks for the input. i am also possibly considering buying a diamond or 2 to go with what we've got. this is for an engagement ring. basically, we're using her grandmother's ring, but the setting is worn and the ring is yellow gold (she hates yellow gold). and the diamond is small. so we were thinking we might be able to use it as a side stone if we could get one to match and a larger one and have it completely reset. we are just looking for ideas right now, but a good jeweler would help in giving us suggestions. we're trying to spend as little money as possible (mainly because i obviously have to spend the money). the other thought we had was to use this as a place holder and then in a couple years replace it with something nicer, but the ring still needs to be repaired/reset. i'd rather go to someone that was recommended than a place that advertises a lot.

unfortunately, i don't have the time to go to boston and i'd rather deal with someone local since this does involve the repair and everything. i was given some recommendations through craigslist though. we don't have hte ring yet, but we wanted to go look around and talk to jewelers to see what they might suggest. we're gonna shop around before deciding on someone.

Ross-Simons is a good choice. My wife's engagement and our wedding rings come from there - and they do repairs as well. You can ask that the diamond ring you are getting repaired be mapped and appraised, and they will do it for you. I've had good luck there (but then again, my uncle knows the owner... :whistling: )

My wife's engagement and wedding rings came from Providence Diamond Co, but they were both estate pieces. I don't know if they still do, but they used to have a very good selection of estate jewelry and the prices were great. Her rings arent huge (I think the engagement ring is 1/3 carat) but they are both ornate and from the 30's with really beautiful detail. Her wedding ring is channel set diamonds in a platinum band - the engagement ring is white gold. Both of them came to less than $1000 total. This was 7 years ago, so Im sure things are more expensive now. The one thing I did like was that I felt like we were treated very well even though I know our purchase was nothing compared to the amount most people spend on rings.

She has also bought some pieces from Reliable Gold. The service was pretty lousy, but prices and selection were very good.

Liam

I can now tell you from experience that the jewelry stores in PPM are incapable of changing so much as a watch battery. Hanoush just flat out ignored me. Zales, even though they had exactly the same watch on the shelf as the one I was wearing, didn't know how to change the battery.

</endrant>

I can now tell you from experience that the jewelry stores in PPM are incapable of changing so much as a watch battery. Hanoush just flat out ignored me. Zales, even though they had exactly the same watch on the shelf as the one I was wearing, didn't know how to change the battery.

</endrant>

someone elsewhere recommended a place in the mall... biddley and banks or something like that. personally, i prefer to steer clear of the mall though. it might be a good place to get ideas from, but i don't think i'll buy anything there.

Bailey, Banks and Biddle. Yes, these folks are not bad, one of the nicer/reliable chain jewelers. Same with Alpha Omega out of Boston, but I dont believe they are in Providence.

But I steer clear of all those chain/mall jewelery stores as well. Not the best quality and price for anything there.

I know Tilden Thurber is mainly antiques now, but dont they still sell jewelery? Or is it all estate stuff?

</endrant>

I have a Swiss Army watch that none of the mall stores can ever do. We tend to stick to Providence Watch Hospital for repairs and batteries. They do good work and they are quite reasonable.

Funny, I used to have a Swiss Army watch and could never get the damned back open. I also used to take it Prov Watch Hospital and they would open it right up in a second. Could never figure out how they did it so easily.

I have a Swiss Army watch that none of the mall stores can ever do. We tend to stick to Providence Watch Hospital for repairs and batteries. They do good work and they are quite reasonable.

Far as I can tell the new Starbucks downtown is open.

I walked by last night around 5:30-6:00pm and I couldn't tell if they were actually open, or if they were just putting finishing touches on it. I may have to get a peppermint mocha on the way home...

I'm happy to report that we just received our December numbers for our retail spaces and it was by far our best month yet for EACH AND EVERY one of our retailers. Mind you some are rather new but we're elated.

Are these new stores doing a lot of internet sales? The area is coming alive, but is still kind of a dead zone. I think they do a lot for the street, but I can't imagine success in the long term with just foot traffic.

The numbers we see are based on in-store sales, not internet.

Well, that does bode well...

With the increased parking facilities and perhaps a concerted plan to connest those sites with the Westminster/Weybosset area both perception and reality will improve and then you will have created momentum that can carry you through until 110, Westin 2, Grants Block, etc add to it and then the ball gets rolling on its own...

Wheeew - I'm done.

As long as I've been going downtown it didn't occur to me untill last week that the Fleet Center (yeah, I know) at 50 Kennedy Plaza is attached by a glass atrium to the 4 or 5 story Citizen's Bank building at 63 Westminster St. I was wondering how this came about, if anyone knows. When the Former Fleet Bank built this building did Citizen's own 63 Westminster? If so then this was an interesting agreement.

Cicilline to help open job training center

PROVIDENCE - Mayor David N. Cicilline is scheduled to join representatives from Providence/Cranston Workforce Solutions and local business leaders for the grand opening of The Providence Skills Center at 9:30 this morning at Providence Place Mall.

The skills center, the only one of its kind in New England, is part of a nationwide program to help candidates get jobs in the retail and service industries

I am not surprised, I always found Lord and Taylor to be lacking. Nothing really differentiated it from a Filene's or Macy's. In every mall I have been to across the US, L&T was always in that wing that not many people went to, hardly ever in a real anchor location.

I always liked their logo though. That flowing "Lord and Taylor" script...

Quick question for those in the know. I read on the DID's website that a sandwich shop is going in at 127 Weybosset St. That's where Cilantro is, I believe.

Is Cilantro closing, or is the sandwich place going in where the old MotoPhoto was (between Cilantro and the old Hit or Miss)?

Archived