West End Village

Matthew

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have new pics from the construction site? What is going on there?

The foundation and concrete slab has been poured for the townhouses and they are working on the foundation for 4th and Broad. Currently they have one wall up for what l believe will be the underground parking. It looks like this wall will house the elevator shaft as well. They just started pouring the foundations a couple weeks back. I have a deposit and contract on one of the condos and I have been told that the building will be complete by the end of 2006, but I think that may be doubtful. Dose anyone know how long it generally takes to build a 4 story 52 unit condo building with underground parking?

• 4 months later...

I don't know about that 10 story condo tower having something to do with this but we do know that 4th and Green will go here. I heard that they wouldn't start construction on this till basically everything was complete or they had enough demand for these units and they sold out a certain percentage.

Right now, the sales office for West End Village is located across the street at the northeast corner of Fourth and Broad. When the project is completed and considering the general success of the sales so far that may be sooner than originally planned for (5-10 years right now), has any mention what that sizeable lot may be converted to?

Looking at the illustration and then looking at a map of Winston via google with the satellite overhead view, I can not help but notice that the tower is the terminus for Holly Ave on the western side. At the other end of Holly Ave is the Winston Park. Along Holly Ave, there are plenty of parking lots and the rears of buildings that face Fourth St. But also Calvary Moravian Church is on this road. There is potential here for Holly Ave to become a really nice route between these two endpoints as an alternative for pediastrians going from the West End to downtown. Any ideas on what the city can do for this area?

The clincher for me is if they can get a movie theatre downtown into this area. The last bit of news on that matter had the NCSA talking to Consolidated theatres for a multiplex that would show a mix of independent art films along with more commerical fare. I am of two minds about a location for this theatre if it ever comes to fruition. One, I would like to have the theatre in the vicinity of the Stevens Centre/Arts District. Large groups of people already go to these areas and the restuarant trade developing in this area would help retain more entertainment dollars downtown. On the other hand, having the theatre close to its original planned location under the Unity Place project, allows it to tap into the densely populated West End residential areas. However retail and restaurant development in this area is relatively weak as compared to the Steven's Centre/ Arts District area. The West End Village project does allocate space for retail trade but I have not heard anything yet of prospective clients. One does come to mind for me though. Dean & Deluca or some equivalent retail store with a grocery, cafe, take-out area could possibly be a big success in this area. The location will stimulate people to come out and walk the neighbourhood and a store like Dean & Deluca will definitely draw them in.

when i drove by the site last weekend i saw where blvd cenrto added the 4th and green rendering to that back building in this photo. when is it supposed to break ground?

79926086_6a99f478e7.jpg

On this sign, it appears that a light beam is going up from the stairway of the condo complex. Artistic license or architecture feature?

Dean and Deluca is perfect for WEV, and while I am thinking big, how about Morton's or McCormick and Schmick?

Morton's the Steakhouse? I think WS Prime at the Marriott is the premier steakhouse downtown and I do not think the market downtown can support another upscale steakhouse right now.

McCormick and Schmick? There is a fish resturant on Broad St right at Bus-40. Never been there so I can not say anything about the quality of its offerings but no one I know ever mentions it so perhaps there is room downtown for another good fish place.

If a Dean and Deluca type store is not to be, at the very least a coffee shop is required. Morning Dew Roasters is nearby on Burke but from an article I read this week, they are pulling back from the sitdown part of the business and selling the surplus space to a new Sports Bar Restaurant. I like to think that the Sin coffee shop on Fourth should relocate there as the competition is pretty fierce now downtown with so many coffee shops in a small area. (As an aside, does anyone know what happened to the planned cheesecake cafe planned for the Nissen apt building?).

In any event, we need a downtown grocery store.

The clincher for me is if they can get a movie theatre downtown into this area. The last bit of news on that matter had the NCSA talking to Consolidated theatres for a multiplex that would show a mix of independent art films along with more commerical fare. I am of two minds about a location for this theatre if it ever comes to fruition. One, I would like to have the theatre in the vicinity of the Stevens Centre/Arts District. Large groups of people already go to these areas and the restuarant trade developing in this area would help retain more entertainment dollars downtown. On the other hand, having the theatre close to its original planned location under the Unity Place project, allows it to tap into the densely populated West End residential areas. However retail and restaurant development in this area is relatively weak as compared to the Steven's Centre/ Arts District area. The West End Village project does allocate space for retail trade but I have not heard anything yet of prospective clients. One does come to mind for me though. Dean & Deluca or some equivalent retail store with a grocery, cafe, take-out area could possibly be a big success in this area. The location will stimulate people to come out and walk the neighbourhood and a store like Dean & Deluca will definitely draw them in.

On this sign, it appears that a light beam is going up from the stairway of the condo complex. Artistic license or architecture feature?

It was reported that Consolidated Theaters backed out of this because of the lack of parking and usable space on the 4th and Broad Street location. Dean and Deluca would be awesome though!

^exactly. something like gallery place would fit perfect here. those two lots opposite WEV is enough room for entertainment and adequate parking.

for those who dont know: Gallery Place in DC is a mixed-use environment with a movie theater, Bowling, restaurants and retail. something like this with underground parking would do well in W-S.

nice idea DCmetro!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The WestEnd Condos are coming along...starting to look really nice through there...I'll try to snap a few photos. Also, the other condo projects look to be breaking ground all around downtown. The traffic circle at the Gateway looks to have some landscaping now but no art structure yet. Any clue when the housing around the Gateway will begin?

Archived